Your Opinion on 2017 & 2018 Recruiting Classes | The Boneyard

Your Opinion on 2017 & 2018 Recruiting Classes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
In msf22b’s “The Demise of the Lady Vols; a Prophesy?” thread, Wbbfan1 made a comment regarding UConn’s upcoming 2017 & 2018 recruiting classes and their relationship to the program continuing to dominate WBB. Being a recruiting junkie but not wanting to highjack that particular thread, I thought I would start a new topic to solicit everyone’s opinion regarding these two critical recruiting cycles.

In short, I’m curious how everyone, in a perfect world, would like to see the next two classes shake out (I am working under the assumption that the 2016 class is done. My guess is most of you feel the same way).

Currently, AEH is the only committed player for ’17. If you’re Coach Auriemma, do you take two wings (Lexi Gordon & Megan Walker) or do you take just one? If you take both, does that exclude you from going after a big (Jade Williams? LaDazhia Williams?) until ’18?

Of course, whether or not the ’17 class consists of three or four players will have a major impact on the ’18 class. Just my opinion, but I would find it highly unlikely that the staff would have back-to-back four person classes.

As of this weekend, we know Christyn Williams has an offer. Gathered from various news sources, UConn is interested in a number of other 2018 prospects including Aquira DeCosta, Charli Collier, Sedona Prince, Lindsey Jarosinski, Olivia Owens and Honesty Scott-Grayson.

Let’s say Coach Auriemma puts you in charge of recruiting for these two years. Assuming everyone you offer accepts, what would your classes look like and why?

Reaction Score
IMO, we could do better or at least be more consistent. One or two high ranked stars per year would be best. Kia was a late surprise for us and Natalie was a lucky find transfer. If not for those two windfalls we'd not be so confident about next year. Not blaming anyone, just sayin'. The hard work, discipline and unselfishness of UCONN isn't for everyone.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Paul,
I am sort of obsessive & greedy about this kind of thing and Geno is not crazy enough to put me in charge but my depth chart looks like this.
C Julia Reisigerova
PF Jade Williams
SF Danielle Patterson
SG Megan Walker
G Espinoza-Hunter

C Lindsey Jarosinski
PF Charli Collier
SF Aquira DeCosta
SG Christianna Carr
G Christyn Williams

Reaction Score
PAUL: think this is a very interesting post. Appreciated here. Not time here now, but will follow as time permits.

COCO: like the way you think - a full and solid team every year. :)

Reaction Score
If anyone here watches the Geno show, you'll hear Geno basically saying having TOO many options on the bench isn't necessarily a good thing. This is why, IMO, Tennesee has struggled since 1998 to win (save the 2 years with Parker, when they had ONE clear star and role players playing their roles)....TOO MANY STARS. Same thing with Duke now. The reason Geno and Co. have been so successful, is they get the right star talent and put them together like a puzzle. You have to have the RIGHT pieces to complete the puzzle. Not just a ton of puzzle pieces. Year after year I watch fan after fan fawn over certain recruits and complain when they don't choose us. Even worry when players transfer. Yet, year after year since the turn of the century UConn has continued to win regardless (save a very down period from 2005-08 when our fortunes would have looked way different if Hunter came to the school SHE wanted to as opposed to the one her dad wanted).

If you want something meaningful to worry about for 2018 and beyond, be worried about another contract extension for Geno (currently signed through 2017-18 season), not about who doesn't come. We want those who want to be here.

http://www.uconnhuskies.com/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/032713aaa.html

Go UConn :D !!!!!

Reaction Score
p.s. - get excited about things like this:

Newly offered 2017 Texas wing Lexi Gordon's twitter feed is COVERED in tweets and reweets about UConn and her visit. Trip to NYC with newly offered 2018 Arkansas guard Christyn Williams....both decked out in UConn gear and there together. Even Lexi's sister was in UConn gear. :cool:

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Not sure who the future recruits would be, but if I'm Geno I want at least one Dominant Post and/or Power Forward who's a great rebounder and can score in the low post like Morgan can. Someone of the caliber of Coates of South Carolina. Another Quality PG to go with Crystal Dangerfield. Then a difference maker that regardless of position can take over a game if its necessary. Needs to be considered as one of the best players in the country by their Junior year and a future #1 WNBA Draft Pick. Would love to see by 2018/19 season that UConn once again has two or three of the best players in the country on the team. They may already be on the team if Katie Lou continues to develop and Crystal is as good as advertised.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
If anyone here watches the Geno show, you'll hear Geno basically saying having TOO many options on the bench isn't necessarily a good thing. This is why, IMO, Tennesee has struggled since 1998 to win (save the 2 years with Parker, when they had ONE clear star and role players playing their roles)....TOO MANY STARS. Same thing with Duke now. The reason Geno and Co. have been so successful, is they get the right star talent and put them together like a puzzle. You have to have the RIGHT pieces to complete the puzzle. Not just a ton of puzzle pieces. Year after year I watch fan after fan fawn over certain recruits and complain when they don't choose us. Even worry when players transfer. Yet, year after year since the turn of the century UConn has continued to win regardless (save a very down period from 2005-08 when our fortunes would have looked way different if Hunter came to the school SHE wanted to as opposed to the one her dad wanted).

If you want something meaningful to worry about for 2018 and beyond, be worried about another contract extension for Geno (currently signed through 2017-18 season), not about who doesn't come. We want those who want to be here.

http://www.uconnhuskies.com/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/032713aaa.html

Go UConn :D !!!!!
What AD in his or her right mind wouldn't give Geno a contract extension for as long as Geno wants? I'm not worried!
Since the 2012-13 season and including the current season UCONN starting lineup has not been without Multiple 1st Team All American. This concept of a singular UCONN star surrounded by a bunch of role players is not compatible with winning a championship(s). Nor did this work out too well for Senior Maya Moore who should have had a 1st team AA playing alongside of her as a senior. UCONN has not successfully recruited out of HS an elite post player since Stewie & Tuck in 2012. Stewie will graduate in 5 months and Morgan may choose to leave early. That would leave 2 post players (Butler & Erwin) on the UCONN rosters for the 2016-17 season. If that sounds like a complaint then I'm only complaining because I'm spoiled and greedy. Greedy enough to say UCONN needs to sign an elite post in 2017 to bolster it's championship hopes.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Do elite players still want to come to UCONN? I wonder if they want to make THE commitment it takes to play for UCONN.

Reaction Score
Do elite players still want to come to UCONN? I wonder if they want to make THE commitment it takes to play for UCONN.
There will always be talented and self assured players who want to be fully tested in what is totally known to be really difficult and prove that they can come through four years acknowledged as having been tested and proven to meet the really hard challenge

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
The reason Geno and Co. have been so successful, is they get the right star talent and put them together like a puzzle.

Remember that time UConn had Tina AND Maya?

Reaction Score
Paul,
I am sort of obsessive & greedy about this kind of thing and Geno is not crazy enough to put me in charge but my depth chart looks like this.
C Julia Reisigerova
PF Jade Williams
SF Danielle Patterson
SG Megan Walker
G Espinoza-Hunter

C Lindsey Jarosinski
PF Charli Collier
SF Aquira DeCosta
SG Christianna Carr
G Christyn Williams

Coco-

Didn't really know much about Reisigerova so I did a little digging. She'd certainly provide a nice combination of size and skill. Do you think she is sincerely interested in coming to the States to play college ball?

Reaction Score
Megan Walker, Megan Walker, and Megan Walker. Plus Aquira DaCosta.

Actually, I also like the kids who visited over the weekend.

Milford-

I'm sensing that you kind of like Megan Walker's game. LOL!

Walker is clearly THE player in the 2017 class. If she wants to come to UConn, you take her no questions asked. In fact, I bet there are a number of posters who would drive down to Virginia to pick her up and bring her to Storrs!

I do think that if Walker and/or Gordon commit (especially Walker), DeCosta probably becomes less of a priority in 2018.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I am under the (unverified) impression that Gordon is coming and Williams is leanng our way. But what do I know?

I dropped the ball on Santa a couple weeks ago and lost the Tooth Fairy years ago. :(

Kibitzer-

First off, since I don't post very often, allow me to take this opportunity to thank you for your service.

As for Ms. Williams and Ms. Gordon, I tend to agree with you. However, I'm trying to temper my enthusiasm just a bit. I have a bad habit of expecting commitments immediately after every visit. LOL. Hopefully, the visits this past weekend and subsequent social media posts indicate more than a "honeymoon phase" between the two recruits and UConn.

Reaction Score
Just realized that I neglected to provide my '17 & '18 wish list. Keep in mind that this prognostication is for entertainment purposes only. If Coach Auriemma looked at my list and thought it was absolute trash, about the toughest thing I could say in return would be, "You're right!"

That said, here's my ideal scenario:

2017: AEH, Megan Walker, Lexi Gordon & Jade Williams

2018: Williams, Collier, Scott-Grayson

Reisigerova and Jarosinski are intriguing due to their size but I don't think two large classes back-to-back make sense for a number of reasons. Something had to give. Besides, my gut tells me Reisigerova will play professionally in Europe.

DeCosta becomes less of an '18 priority with the two '17 wings on board.

What do you think?

Gate81

'Gate Grad Likes Cardinal & UConn Best
Reaction Score
i am beginning to wonder if it's not only the talent and pieces that fit, and avoiding TOO MANY Stars (or those with the attitude) -- but also NOT having too many people that have already played together and are super close. I notice that on TN with its "chemistry issues" there are 3 players that played together for many years (Russell, Nared and Reynolds) then there's the 2 close friends (DeShields and Cooper) and I wonder if having this type of a situation creates cliques and lessens the overall chemistry.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
i am beginning to wonder if it's not only the talent and pieces that fit, and avoiding TOO MANY Stars (or those with the attitude) -- but also NOT having too many people that have already played together and are super close. I notice that on TN with its "chemistry issues" there are 3 players that played together for many years (Russell, Nared and Reynolds) then there's the 2 close friends (DeShields and Cooper) and I wonder if having this type of a situation creates cliques and lessens the overall chemistry.
It is that question of whether a coach accepts a 'package deal' - the recruit that says 'I want to play college ball with _____ .' where the blank is filled in with 'MY sister' or 'MY teammate' or 'MY best friend'. It says the decision isn't about the coach or the other players already at the school or the style of play or the school itself and I would think is a big red flag about what type of teammate that recruit is going to be. It isn't quite the same as what happened with UNCs big class which seemed to be sort of orchestrated or the TASSK force at Uconn - those players knew each other but were a diverse group from various states who had played with and against each other at USA trials or in AAU.
Every team develops cliques and people choose roommates or best friends, but a coaching staff and team members have a better chance to manage those dynamics if they are integral to the team process at the school - it is much harder to manage if they comes pre-packaged. I think a situation like the Samuelson sisters or the O sisters is easier because there were a few years between the arrivals so the eldest already had a few years of integration and experience before the next sister arrived, with twins it is harder.
I don't think it has to be a deal breaker, but I do think a wise coach is more wary of the situation.

And yeah - I wonder specifically about the DD/Cooper dynamic, I hadn't thought about the NW issue - did they all play for the same AAU? Not the same HS?

Reaction Score
Paul F, that is what I was thinking exactly for the 17 and 18 classes.

As for Reisigerova, I have heard her name brought up before. Has UConn been connected with her or is her name coming from a fan saying that UConn should look at her? Just curious.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Coco-

Didn't really know much about Reisigerova so I did a little digging. She'd certainly provide a nice combination of size and skill. Do you think she is sincerely interested in coming to the States to play college ball?

I sure hope so. ESPN has best track record of predicting which of the European kids have interest in coming to the states and they believe she is interested.
This is what I posted about Julia in May. She has since been reclassified as class of 2017.
New name ( Big) on the 2016 list to keep an eye on. Julia Reisigerova her Mother is her coach and involved with one of the Czech Rep national teams. Good set of tools: shoots with range, solid defensively, runs floor real well. You can see the fundamentals -sets solid screens and moves her feet extremely well defensively.
FIBA hype tape on her here.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Paul F, that is what I was thinking exactly for the 17 and 18 classes.

As for Reisigerova, I have heard her name brought up before. Has UConn been connected with her or is her name coming from a fan saying that UConn should look at her? Just curious.
No connection of Julia to UCONN that I know about. Just hearty speculation on my part from the very first time I saw her play. She is the best skilled big in the next two classes IMO.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Just realized that I neglected to provide my '17 & '18 wish list. Keep in mind that this prognostication is for entertainment purposes only. If Coach Auriemma looked at my list and thought it was absolute trash, about the toughest thing I could say in return would be, "You're right!"

That said, here's my ideal scenario:

2017: AEH, Megan Walker, Lexi Gordon & Jade Williams

2018: Williams, Collier, Scott-Grayson

Reisigerova and Jarosinski are intriguing due to their size but I don't think two large classes back-to-back make sense for a number of reasons. Something had to give. Besides, my gut tells me Reisigerova will play professionally in Europe.

DeCosta becomes less of an '18 priority with the two '17 wings on board.

What do you think?
I think UCONN needs more than 1 each big in the next two classes because potentially each of those bigs (Jade & Charli) will have to start as a Freshmen with Jade replacing Morgan and Charli replacing Butler in the starting lineup. Don't forget that Boykin has transferred.
I would also have to question bringing in 3 wings/G in '17 AEH, Megan Walker, & Lexi Gordon.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
You always want to avoid attitude but I am not with you on this concept of TOO MANY stars or that playing together might lead to developing chemistry issues. First you are not sure who will continue to be a STAR. On the current UCONN team Courtney and KLS played AAU ball together, Collier & KLS played USA basketball for years, and the chemistry between Dangerfield and Collier was amazing this summer-Can't wait to see that next year. Morgan and Stewie were USA basketball teammates 2 full years before they were UCONN teammates-that chemistry worked out pretty well.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Milford-

I'm sensing that you kind of like Megan Walker's game. LOL!

Walker is clearly THE player in the 2017 class. If she wants to come to UConn, you take her no questions asked. In fact, I bet there are a number of posters who would drive down to Virginia to pick her up and bring her to Storrs!
Heck yea, we'd even take her to Wendy's on the way. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom