Your Opinion on 2017 & 2018 Recruiting Classes | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Your Opinion on 2017 & 2018 Recruiting Classes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
IMO, we could do better or at least be more consistent. One or two high ranked stars per year would be best. Kia was a late surprise for us and Natalie was a lucky find transfer. If not for those two windfalls we'd not be so confident about next year. Not blaming anyone, just sayin'. The hard work, discipline and unselfishness of UCONN isn't for everyone.
Errrr. I am confident that Nurse is a top quality player, a warrior and a leader. UCONN could hardly have done better in signing, " a late surprise." Natalie is not in the same category. I see little potential for her against quality players and teams. Sure, she may do well when we are up 40 against SMU or East Carolina, but she would have been a liability against South Carolina, Oregon St., Texas, Notre Dame, etc. I mean; she does not have good hands, and is clumsy. So she can foul out in about 15 seconds. We need a miracle if she is going to be an important and productive player.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Player analysis from this weekend's Southwest Spring Classic in the Dallas area:

First Annual Southwest Spring Classic - Bluestar Media
Excellent read thanks for posting.
My favorite parts:
1) "The 6-5 Collier is working smarter in the paint and reading defenders more efficiently rather than having her mind made up." 6'5" People!
2) People are starting to wonder what position Lexi Gordon will play at the next level. Just the kind of confusion Geno needs to give opposing coaches.
3) Jade Williams has gotten stronger and improved her handles and dexterity.
4) " Christyn Williams continues to offer up her case as one of the premier two guards in the 2018 class. Combining size, strength and quickness, her attack is challenging to contain."

Reaction Score
Excellent read thanks for posting.
My favorite parts
4) " Christyn Williams continues to offer up her case as one of the premier two guards in the 2018 class. Combining size, strength and quickness, her attack is challenging to contain."

:):):):);)

Reaction Score

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Trying to stay positive here and bumping this thread so everyone can update their wish list for UCONN recruits for next two classes.

PF Olivia Owens
PF Jade Williams
SF Lexi Gordon
SG Megan Walker
G Espinoza-Hunter

PF Danielle Cosgrove
PF Charli Collier
SF Aquira DeCosta
SG Christianna Carr
G Christyn Williams

Those are quite the wish lists. I don't see 5-player classes though. I'm guessing 4 each max, and I would've said 3 for '17 before Boykin's departure.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I greatly admire the ability of you folks who can get deep into the development of HS players and enjoy reading it, but confess to having only the most passing interest until they come of oral commitment age (hah), in their junior year. I suspect it has to do with short term memory losss. Wait, what were we talking about? I've lost the thread.

Reaction Score
Paul,
I am sort of obsessive & greedy about this kind of thing and Geno is not crazy enough to put me in charge but my depth chart looks like this.
C Julia Reisigerova
PF Jade Williams
SF Danielle Patterson
SG Megan Walker
G Espinoza-Hunter

C Lindsey Jarosinski
PF Charli Collier
SF Aquira DeCosta
SG Christianna Carr
G Christyn Williams

2017 Gordon Walker Hunter and either Williams or Patterson 4 from 2017
2018 **Collier Williams +1 = 3 from 2018. if this were true as long as he has 2 real bigs he may start looking for a pure PG to replace Crystal.

Reaction Score
I admit that I don't follow high school basketball (not world enough and time), but I wonder about the reports linked directly above. They seem so flattering and uncritical. From these descriptions, most every one of these kids seems to be a sure-fire POY. I wonder if these scouts aren't pumping the players in order to get closer to them. And I wonder where the real, hard-edged assessments are; or is that solely the responsibility of the ass't college coaches in charge of recruitment?

Reaction Score
Trying to stay positive here and bumping this thread so everyone can update their wish list for UCONN recruits for next two classes.

PF Olivia Owens
PF Jade Williams
SF Lexi Gordon
SG Megan Walker
G Espinoza-Hunter

PF Danielle Cosgrove
PF Charli Collier
SF Aquira DeCosta
SG Christianna Carr
G Christyn Williams

Your choices almost mirror mine.
Espinoza-Hunter
Gordon
Walker
J. Williams.
Collier
C. Williams
DeCosta
Prince
We have 2 verbals and I know it's asking too much but I would be ecstatic if we could get any 4 of the remaining 6 on the list. (I'm guessing Walker, C Williams, Collier and J. Williams would be the 4 most likely to make it to Storrs).

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
When was the last time we heard anything about UConn and Jade Williams? Posts on this board don't count.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
When was the last time we heard anything about UConn and Jade Williams? Posts on this board don't count.

This article by Jim Fuller in January? - UConn’s Moriah Jefferson ready for final trip to Texas as Husky Re the AAC and Texas recruiting he says:

"UConn made a run at landing Lauren Cox, the top-rated player in the current high school senior class. They are actively recruiting top Class of 2017 prospects Lexi Gordon and Jade Williams, who are among the nine Texas products in the top 40 in ESPN’s Class of ‘17 rankings."

To be honest, I've looked and I can't find much linking her to any particular school lately.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I admit that I don't follow high school basketball (not world enough and time), but I wonder about the reports linked directly above. They seem so flattering and uncritical. From these descriptions, most every one of these kids seems to be a sure-fire POY. I wonder if these scouts aren't pumping the players in order to get closer to them. And I wonder where the real, hard-edged assessments are; or is that solely the responsibility of the ass't college coaches in charge of recruitment?
Nailed it in your final question - and of course, we all know that should they choose Uconn the sky is the limit on their development whereas those that go elsewhere are throwing away all the HS potential they ever showed! :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Nailed it in your final question - and of course, we all know that should they choose Uconn the sky is the limit on their development whereas those that go elsewhere are throwing away all the HS potential they ever showed! :rolleyes:
Thanks. Then they really aren't scouting reports, are they? more like puff pieces of the most visible and recruitable players.

Reaction Score
Thanks. Then they really aren't scouting reports, are they? more like puff pieces of the most visible and recruitable players.

I've seen a few highly touted AAU players the past few years that didn't look anything like their press clippings.............with some exceptions, perhaps the top 10-15 universally ranked players, you really have to take these reports with a grain of salt.........hopefully that also works in reverse in the case of this incoming UConn class as there are sometimes under exposed players who fly a bit below the radar................let us pray...............................................

Reaction Score
I think the last time we heard anything about UConn and Jade Williams was the home visit. Haven't heard that any of the staff went to watch any of her games during the high school season or anything like that. Hope there is still interest with both parties.

Reaction Score
This article by Jim Fuller in January? - UConn’s Moriah Jefferson ready for final trip to Texas as Husky Re the AAC and Texas recruiting he says:

"UConn made a run at landing Lauren Cox, the top-rated player in the current high school senior class. They are actively recruiting top Class of 2017 prospects Lexi Gordon and Jade Williams, who are among the nine Texas products in the top 40 in ESPN’s Class of ‘17 rankings."

To be honest, I've looked and I can't find much linking her to any particular school lately.

She seems to be on the down low with her school preferences but she does have a recent UConn team photo perhaps at the victory parade on her twitter..................that and a mention that Stewie is unbelievable are the only school references of any kind that I could find

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
I did research on Olivia Owens. I think she is 2018 kid.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I did research on Olivia Owens. I think she is 2018 kid.
Olivia Owens is class of 2018. Owens plays AAU for the Lady City Rocks. She has offers from the University of Minnesota & Syracuse University, and began to hear from UConn summer 2015. Geno saw her play in December 2015.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Milford-

I'm sensing that you kind of like Megan Walker's game. LOL!

Walker is clearly THE player in the 2017 class. If she wants to come to UConn, you take her no questions asked. In fact, I bet there are a number of posters who would drive down to Virginia to pick her up and bring her to Storrs!

I do think that if Walker and/or Gordon commit (especially Walker), DeCosta probably becomes less of a priority in 2018.
I'm already in Virginia. I've got it covered. ;)

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score

PF Olivia Owens
PF Jade Williams
SF Lexi Gordon
SG Megan Walker
G Espinoza-Hunter

PF Danielle Cosgrove
PF Charli Collier
SF Aquira DeCosta
SG Christianna Carr
G Christyn Williams
I'm not greedy. I'll be content with 4 out of 5 of each group. :D

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Strangely, there is seemingly little info out there on Jade, not just in the context of UConn. We know that CD and Geno did a home visit in September, and one of the horde noted in January that we are still recruiting her. It was in the context of Moriah going back to Texas for the last time as a collegian. I'd love to hear positive news, but I'm not too concerned about lack of info. If I were hearing that she's wearing ND gear to school, I'd be more worried.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom