Yes exhibition... but still | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Yes exhibition... but still

Reaction Score
How much horrendous basketball has to be witnessed before it’s ok to talk about how horrendous it is?

Maybe we should gang up on the writers who for some bizarre reason don’t think this team is good.

What a bunch of idiots they are.
It's okay to say it's horrendous.

But writing off the season because we lost an exhibition game to a good team is over-dramatic.

Pretending that Ollie's strategy was to go out and get the best JUCOs and transfers because he prefers them over HS recruits is flat out BS.

The offense against a zone remains a nightmare. We only have 1-2 decent shooters, and there's no motion or urgency to attack off the dribble, which is what Adams and Gilbert are good at. I'm happy to criticize that with you.

Horatio

Cohesion is the Key
Reaction Score
With the World Series and 15 NBA games on tonight, was anyone watching?
Plus the game wasn't televised and just thrown together

NowInStorrs

The truth is out there.
Reaction Score
With the World Series and 15 NBA games on tonight, was anyone watching?
Maybe not but I guarantee that if a recruit is deciding between UConn and Providence, this exhibition game will come up at some point, whether that's fair or not.

Reaction Score
I was unable to watch the game, but I just looked at the some of the stats. From what I can see we held our own on the offensive glass, we forced more turnovers, had more 2nd chance points, our bench outscored PCs and we won the FT battle. Those are all positives. However, based on what I'm reading and what the stats show, it seems as if we couldn't buy a bucket. I want to be positive as it is the first game of the season with a lot of new faces, but it does seem like a continuation of what happened last season. I feel like Ollie should have had these guys more prepared, but maybe he did and it just came down to execution of the game plan.

Reaction Score
I predicted that Cooley will attempt to leverage this head-to-head result bigtime with all '19/'20/'21 New England recruits. He wants to shut us out of the region.

Once a recruit gets on to PC’s campus and takes a look at their facilities we’re all done.

Reaction Score
I predicted that Cooley will attempt to leverage this head-to-head result bigtime with all '19/'20/'21 New England recruits. He wants to shut us out of the region.
So recruits are going to choose a school because he won an exhibition game?

Reaction Score
Hunger strike since he left.
I Was at the game. We looked so undersized compared to Providence. We look more and more like D2 athletes trying to play D1 basketball. Once again, We can't make a shot from anywhere. At one point 10-38 shooting.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
So recruits are going to choose a school because he won an exhibition game?

He's going to use it to continue pitching that they are the superior program. And look at what he's already done with the MAL tampering and getting Reeves and Duke.

Reaction Score
It's shocking how weak we look physically.

Agreed. Cobb is maybe 6'7. Definitely shorter than larrier. At every position but PG we had a size disadvantage.

Reaction Score
Agreed. Cobb is maybe 6'7. Definitely shorter than larrier. At every position but PG we had a size disadvantage.
And I'm not even talking about height. Outside of Cobb all our guys look slight.

scoobydoo

1977 & 1974 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
We should be out recruiting kids like their freshman Ashton-Langford. Imagine him in our backcourt instead of Anderson. Why is Ollie focusing on grad transfers instead of kids like that?

Did we even offer him? If not, Ollie should be fired.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Thought this game was tomorrow! Balls. But then just put it on and we are down 25. Nice. Anything redeemable from this?
Saw a few good moves by Cobb and Carlton. I think they can make a good contribution once the rotation is settled. Cobb is pretty mobile and looked pretty trim. Horrendous officiating. I think we were over the 10 foul bonus in both halves with 10 minutes to go in each half. Providence missed a few in the beginning but after that they were great at shooting and nothing we put up went in. It was like Uconn 29% from the floor at one point and 2-12 from 3pt land and Providence was shooting 67% Fg and the same from 3 pt land at one point. Providence players looked very muscular compared to Uconn except for Cobb and Vitale. Larrier was pushed around pretty good; he is wiry but has no weight. Over all I thought that most of the players were hustling and late in the game the guards were moving things pretty well and their sheer numbers (4) were taking a toll. Had a decent amount of the shots fallen (object of the game) it could have been a good game. I think we have to give them a chance to keep plugging away and find a rotation. I am much more pleased with the effort and potential of this team vs. last year and hopefully they won't be plagued with injuries this year. They played well when they really pressured PC. Even if they broke the press and got a few easy buckets they showed that they could get steals and upset the tempo. Would like to see more of this
and rotating guys in and out until they get the eight or so that get most of the minutes.

Reaction Score
Sad to see posters talking about Providence as a team out of UConns league now. So great we shouldn't expect UConn to come close to competing.

Hope UConn schedules more games at Mohegan in future. Fun place to watch a game. Maybe not schedule such college basketball juggernaut to make it a little more enjoyable next time.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
PC didn’t need anymore help taking our recruits, but they just got it.

Reaction Score
Biggest takeaway? Kwin Williams may end up being an afterthought this year. Played least minutes and looked outmatched under the glass (but, to be fair, it was such a small sample size that it could be negligible). I know there was serious sentiment on the board that he could possibly even start, but that may need to be thrown out the window quick.
One thing on Kwintin — According to his Instagram story he is back in the gym on campus right now (close to midnight) putting in work. Could tell he was frustrated by the game tonight but instead of sulking like a lot of guys would do, he took it as an opportunity to get better. The raw skills are clearly there so the fact that he seemingly has the work ethic to go along with that athleticism is a step in the right direction.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom