Yes exhibition... but still | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Yes exhibition... but still

Reaction Score
I don't think Xs and Os are the main problem. Kids don't play hard for Ollie because of the positive reinforcement crap. Calhoun didn't put up with slacking, which college kids are more than willing to do if you let them. Calhoun's teams always fought harder for the rebound, lose ball, etc., and didn't want someone to score on them like their life depended on it. Ollie's don't. His temperament is not mean enough, and he's okay with sitting down on the sideline instead of up in the player's faces like Calhoun. He knows what Calhoun was like. That was his coach. He either can't or won't drop the player's coach cop out.
And, he doesn't know how to or want to work the refs, like Cooley and other opposing coaches do. Refs just walk all over him until once in a while he can't take it anymore, throws a tantrum, and then gets thrown out.

zepfan

I'll make it.
Reaction Score
Didn't see the game but just finished reading the reviews on the BY. Doesn't sound good. The lack of movement on offense - lack of plays that involve player movement/ball movement is very concerning. Also, defensive effort sounded poor. These things should not be occurring no matter who the players are or what point in the season it is. A poor shooting night can happen to any team, especially early in the season with a lot of substitutions and unfamiliar rotations. Still too soon to panic (despite the doomsday tone on the BY), but Larrier apparently trying to do too much himself (unsuccessfully) is disappointing. Let the game come, its a long season. I'll be at the Merrimack pre-season game. If we struggle with them the way we struggled with Southern last year in pre-season .... then I'll find that bridge.

Reaction Score
take everything you've ever thought about kevin ollie and then think the opposite
I don't doubt that's true. But one thing's for sure, whatever the hell he's doing isn't working.

zepfan

I'll make it.
Reaction Score
Didn't see the game but just finished reading the reviews on the BY. Doesn't sound good. The lack of movement on offense - lack of plays that involve player movement/ball movement is very concerning. Also, defensive effort sounded poor. These things should not be occurring no matter who the players are or what point in the season it is. A poor shooting night can happen to any team, especially early in the season with a lot of substitutions and unfamiliar rotations. Still too soon to panic (despite the doomsday tone on the BY), but Larrier apparently trying to do too much himself (unsuccessfully) is disappointing. Let the game come, its a long season. I'll be at the Merrimack pre-season game. If we struggle with them the way we struggled with Southern last year in pre-season .... then I'll find that bridge.
Bridge to jump off :)

Reaction Score
I don't think Xs and Os are the main problem. Kids don't play hard for Ollie because of the positive reinforcement crap. Calhoun didn't put up with slacking, which college kids are more than willing to do if you let them. Calhoun's teams always fought harder for the rebound, lose ball, etc., and didn't want someone to score on them like their life depended on it. Ollie's don't. His temperament is not mean enough, and he's okay with sitting down on the sideline instead of up in the player's faces like Calhoun. He knows what Calhoun was like. That was his coach. He either can't or won't drop the player's coach cop out.

Different era

Horatio

Cohesion is the Key
Reaction Score

I watched the game. The defense needs a ton of work, poor shooting and we looked like a team trying to establish rotations. Oh yeah,
One thing that the "BY" experts won't mention, Providence is a good team.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I know it's early and just an echibition, but it seems like I'm reading the same words by certain posters as last season. And, on the same screen, two different people quoting their own earlier posts. Already it's looking like a rough season.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
I bet if we had beat up on southern all the takes would be uber positive lol. It took one exhibition game to throw you guys over the cliff. Amazing
No. It's just that if this was our first game of the year against a Wagner/Northeastern type season opener, we would have lost with this performance. And after last year's start, there's really no more room for excuses, none.

Reaction Score
I bet if we had beat up on southern all the takes would be uber positive lol. It took one exhibition game to throw you guys over the cliff. Amazing
Good thing our OOC is filled with SCSU types. Did the PK tourney add UNH and Merrimack?

Reaction Score
No. It's just that if this was our first game of the year against a Wagner/Northeastern type season opener, we would have lost with this performance. And after last year's start, there's really no more room for excuses, none.
Is it an excuse to say the performance tonight had something to do with Providence; and the fact that, just like last year, we have a ton of new guys on the team?

Nevermind, don't answer.

Reaction Score
But this isn't the 1st game of the season. It was their first game ever together agaisnt a providence team that is waaay better than Wagner or northeastern. The two scenarios don't equate. My point was if we had beat up on southern or UNH the tone here would be different. But why? There is no shame in a young team losing their first exhibition game to an experienced PC team.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
If this same team was playing their actual first game of the season the result wouldn't have been much different. PC is a decent team but they were giving heavy minutes to their freshman as well. The offense we watched during this exhibition was not a good litmus test.

Reaction Score
Point?
We stunk. We can't afford to stink again. Without a conference and HOF coach to fall back on do you really need me to explain what is going to happen if this trend continues? Let's just say this ship needs to be righted, not saying it can't but the OOC is not a cake walk and at this point neither is the AAC.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
How much horrendous basketball has to be witnessed before it’s ok to talk about how horrendous it is?

Maybe we should gang up on the writers who for some bizarre reason don’t think this team is good.

What a bunch of idiots they are.

Reaction Score
Not to be that guy but there is no way I would have these kids diving and grinding out this game. No chance.

Reaction Score
We stunk. We can't afford to stink again. Without a conference and HOF coach to fall back on do you really need me to explain what is going to happen if this trend continues? Let's just say this ship needs to be righted, not saying it can't but the OOC is not a cake walk and at this point neither is the AAC.
I think you are taking way too much from a teams 1st exhibition game. If you want to say you aren't confident they'll be better than tonite because of last yr or prior yrs then cool there isn't much I can say to that. But i 'd personally wait and see what we look like once the season starts. This is what these games are for. You want your team to get the jitters and the rust out in these games.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom