Yes exhibition... but still | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Yes exhibition... but still

Reaction Score
Wide open 3’s, wide open drives to the the basket
What part of the floor is Ollie telling them to defend? “Don’t give up that 16 foot jumper!”

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
Larrier just looks like he lacks fundamentals for his physical assets.

Reaction Score
Lather-Rinse-Repeat.... Fall behind early. Fall behind a lot. Try to make the final score respectable. Reoccurring theme these past couple of years. We need to stop missing bunnies mere feet from the basket. Need to hit outside shots consistently. Run solid plays. Hopefully we can turn it around. But this was not encouraging. Back to the drawing board. Sigh.... :-(

Reaction Score
Slow start. Didn't defend too well, and gave up a lot of open parameter shots. We didn't shoot well, but that will come. This is the first time most of these players played in a real game together against a pretty decent team. Thought there was some good things. Jalen looked good, but a little sloppy. Vital played with his normal fire. Gilbert looked good but a bit rusty, Larrier very rusty but he'll get better. A lot of experimentation and weird line ups, and it doesn't help that so many fouls were called. A lot of them were very soft, took our players out of the game and messed up the game flow. It's an exhibition we weren't playing 2 weeks ago, a lot of room for improvement but it looks like there's a lot to work with

Reaction Score
Biggest takeaway? Kwin Williams may end up being an afterthought this year. Played least minutes and looked outmatched under the glass (but, to be fair, it was such a small sample size that it could be negligible). I know there was serious sentiment on the board that he could possibly even start, but that may need to be thrown out the window quick.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I'm probably most disappointed our team looks like a bunch of scrawny kids next to most good D1 teams. All this talk about Carlos Daniels and our kids lifting serious weights and they look like this, I seriously don't get it.
He may be gone, but getting called "Daniels" is pretty great even if it's an exhibition game.

Mazhude

"Bark, Bark!"
Reaction Score
I'm glad Ollie scheduled this game first. Wake up call for all the new players. Set the bar for true competitive D1 play. Now the players have been humbled a little bit and will (hopefully) figure out what each and every one of them need to do to compete at this level.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
Larrier just looks like he lacks fundamentals for his physical assets.
He is coming off an ACL. I can tell you that it will take a while for his knee to be back to normal even if there's no swelling, no pain, and no instability. Typically after an ACL reconstruction players are not themselves again until year 2.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
He is coming off an ACL. I can tell you that it will take a while for his knee to be back to normal even if there's no swelling, no pain, and no instability. Typically after an ACL reconstruction players are not themselves again until year 2.

Reaction Score
Can’t believe how bad they all shoot the 3. (Except Vital) Have to be able to shoot the 3 in college, it’s just the way the game is going
The WBB team shoots better wide open 3’s for chrissakes. Larrier is a below average 3 point shooter and doesn’t look to have improved. I’m praying that Gilbert did.

Reaction Score
What were you guys expecting? This is a similar turnout to what I was expecting. An ugly sloppy game with a couple bright spots. We all knew there would be some rough patches early on. Almost everyone here predicted it. This is this teams first take playing together EVER. and most of these guys first college minutes. Guys like gilbert and Larrier are returning from injury and using these games to shake off the rust. This game is going to help our team so much going forward. Wether we won or loss is completely irrelevant. This was an extra exhibition game against a good team. Much rather this loss than a win against The University of New Haven

Reaction Score
It's a pre-season game but it literally looks like ta total retread with a different cast. Which is how it's looked the last two years. Same offensive 'sets', no defense... I get it, I get it - lots of new players, etc - but this was unbelievable.
I don't think Xs and Os are the main problem. Kids don't play hard for Ollie because of the positive reinforcement crap. Calhoun didn't put up with slacking, which college kids are more than willing to do if you let them. Calhoun's teams always fought harder for the rebound, lose ball, etc., and didn't want someone to score on them like their life depended on it. Ollie's don't. His temperament is not mean enough, and he's okay with sitting down on the sideline instead of up in the player's faces like Calhoun. He knows what Calhoun was like. That was his coach. He either can't or won't drop the player's coach cop out.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom