Xavier post game thread. | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Xavier post game thread.

Reaction Score
Yeah idk how people can say we aren't athletic. Maybe our guys can't jump like Andre Jackson, but you know what they do that no one else can? Constantly run in motion on offense for 40 minutes and tire the crap out of the defense. Our team conditioning is what separates us, and that to me, is the most underrated part of being athletic considering how our offense operates. You can be lightning fast on defense but it doesn't matter when you get tired chasing Cam Spencer around after 20 minutes and Spencer looks like he hasn't even broken a sweat.

Reaction Score
Yeah idk how people can say we aren't athletic. Maybe our guys can't jump like Andre Jackson, but you know what they do that no one else can? Constantly run in motion on offense for 40 minutes and tire the crap out of the defense. Our team conditioning is what separates us, and that to me, is the most underrated part of being athletic considering how our offense operates. You can be lightning fast on defense but it doesn't matter when you get tired chasing Cam Spencer around after 20 minutes and Spencer looks like he hasn't even broken a sweat.
Thank you! When you make 17 layups / dunks in 20 minutes of basketball that constitutes as clinically manhandling your opponent. You can only do that if you are physically equipped to do so. This team gets stronger in the second half and wants to knock you out.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Unless you're saying your basketball team would beat ours in a track & field meet and that that is somehow meaningful, it's a silly argument. We have an established metric for determining the best athletes in a basketball game. It's called the "score".

Reaction Score
The first half was ugly and Xavier was pumped. Once we settled in in the second half and Xavier ran out of gas, the Huskies ran away with the game.
Great tune up game!

We will definitely face a team like this in the tourney - everything falls for them 1st half, we have a bunch of missed free-be’s and bad bounces, and no foul calls - tied at Halftime.

Loved the response and actually was thinking this was the game we needed.

Reaction Score
There's people who think Doncic and Jokic aren't athletic because they hardly ever dunk, lolz.

Reaction Score

It's semantics. When I hear "best athlete" I think best pure athlete, not who has the most skill or conditioning.

People have had this exact same argument on this board 1000 times one way or the other and always managed to get offended like my buddy you're responding to.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
People don’t realize how much our offense wears down an opponent. They have to work like heck to defend us then on the other end they run into the physicality of our defense. We wear teams out mentality and physicality

Reaction Score
It's semantics. When I hear "best athlete" I think best pure athlete, not who has the most skill or conditioning.

People have had this exact same argument on this board 1000 times one way or the other and always managed to get offended like my buddy you're responding to.
You are one of the most well-informed guys on the Yard from a variety of perspectives on BB. I never question your opinions.

This debate about athletic BB players is a matter of opinion. My opinion is. A highly successful CBB team like UConn has a gumbo soup combination of players. Studs-First Round Draft picks/Over-Achieving awesome CBB players/Role players-/3 yr CBB players.

Do they understand their roles and play Team Ball?? Yes. UConn does and that's why they're knocking on the door for a back-to-back.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
No love for Samson grabbing that bad lob from behind the backboard and just dropping it in the hoop?
slamson.jpg

Reaction Score
No love for Samson grabbing that bad lob from behind the backboard and just dropping it in the hoop?
While being bridged with no call? Superior athlete kind of play. He was really huge today with his excellent first half while DC struggled. He and Diarra were both really good.

Reaction Score
Samson Johnson's last 23 minutes played between the Providence and Xavier games:

20 points, 8 rebounds, 2 blocks, (9-13 FG).

Out of our entire roster, the growth of his BBIQ has been the most palpable. It's incredible how hard he and the staff has worked on his development over the last three seasons.

Reaction Score
Samson Johnson's last 23 minutes played between the Providence and Xavier games:

Out of our entire roster, the growth of his BBIQ has been the most palpable. It's incredible how hard he and the staff has worked on his development over the last three seasons.
Samson has been great the past two games but it's been a mighty struggle for the majority of the season for him, that's the most kind way I can put it.

I hope the past two games are an indication of him turning the corner and I always felt like the spacing and less physical play of the NCAA tournament would help him but I can't agree with your post.

Samson's 10 games prior to the last 2 have him at 3.8 ppg, 2.2 rebounds per game, 3.6 fouls per game.

Reaction Score

I don't think he's grown over the season, or maybe I'm just not understanding you. Started hot versus terrible teams, had an explosive game vs. Texas, and then regressed badly. The entire conference slate until our last game vs. Providence he looked like a barely-serviceable backup with that foul rate and lack of rebounding.

The last two games have shown what he is capable of. The scoring is a bonus; what I've been happy with is the positional defense, minimal fouling and improved rebounding. That is what makes a backup 5 tick. Like I said earlier in this thread, if something has clicked and he has turned the corner, we look close to unstoppable.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom