Xavier Johnson | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Xavier Johnson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Xavier is the best named of our current recruits.
I always review recruits names for literary possibility.
The wordplay on X is terrific I don’t care how good he his ,he will be a legendary figure after four years. Sign this kid up immediately..
Austrie was player of the year in Connecticut.
But with both Williams and Price suspended we did need another guard .
He started as freshman first semester and I believe we did not lose a game against pretty much cupcakes.
He was competent but not up to our traditional PG standards.
Think TSam with a little better shot..I don’t think he ever started a game again.
He might be the only player in UConn history to play more minutes his first semester than the rest of his career combined.

Austrie was a key guy in the 2005 Maui Invitational, so he didn't just play well against weak teams.

Reaction Score
Is it fair to say that Taliek and Kemba were not prolific long range shooters coming in? We need to get stronger and more athletic, the shooting can improve with hard work and coaching. Let’s go Mets⚾️
Difference is Kemba was a shooter and Taliek was maybe the worst shooting and scoring guard in UConn history. Not fair to put them in the same sentence.

Reaction Score
Xavier is the best named of our current recruits.
I always review recruits names for literary possibility.
The wordplay on X is terrific I don’t care how good he his ,he will be a legendary figure after four years. Sign this kid up immediately..
Austrie was player of the year in Connecticut.
But with both Williams and Price suspended we did need another guard .
He started as freshman first semester and I believe we did not lose a game against pretty much cupcakes.
He was competent but not up to our traditional PG standards.
Think TSam with a little better shot..I don’t think he ever started a game again.
He might be the only player in UConn history to play more minutes his first semester than the rest of his career combined.

So much wrong there I don't know where to start.

1. Our undefeated string at the start of '06 included wins in Maui against good teams, with Craig starting.

2. When Marcus came back he then became a role player, for sure, but never started again? You mean other than in our run to the Final Four in '09. And at times in between (like our win at Indiana in the 07-08 season that was so key to our being back after the prior year.

3. T. Sam made important contributions to our program for a month, and then couldn't step up the next year when we needed more from him. Craig played a role over 4 years for teams that went to the tourney 3 times.

Reaction Score
Sometimes but not always. Kemba is certainly one while Taliek proved not always. Guessing Taliek worked tirelessly on his shooting to no avail but some guys just can’t shoot it happens. He certainly made up for it as a leader. I just hope we get shooters need them badly.

It's unlike you to be so diplomatic on Taliek. He was a bad shooter coming in and he was a bad shooter leaving. Really bad. There's no way around it.

Kemba was far from a great shooter coming in, but he was always miles ahead of Taliek.

The other thing about these two particular players is that they were McDonald's All-Americans while Xavier Johnson appears to be not that. For every under the radar stud there are probably ten Terrence Samuels'.

Reaction Score
It's unlike you to be so diplomatic on Taliek. He was a bad shooter coming in and he was a bad shooter leaving. Really bad. There's no way around it.

Kemba was far from a great shooter coming in, but he was always miles ahead of Taliek.

The other thing about these two particular players is that they were McDonald's All-Americans while Xavier Johnson appears to be not that. For every under the radar stud there are probably ten Terrence Samuels'.

Taliek has range tho.

Reaction Score
That's how I remember Taliek. Any other negative shots at him at this point are just unnecessary...

Negative shots? You mean he was a terrible shooter isn’t a fact? Read the OT that’s just reacting with fact. He did other things but there was a mention of shooting with he and Kemba and the fact was only one of these 2 guys were able to improve.

Reaction Score
Good morning Mau. Yeah the guy couldn't shoot to save his life . He was like 0 for 18 from the foul line before one bounced in me and the wife jumped up and cheered I still remember it . No Kemba but NYC tough.

Reaction Score
Good morning Mau. Yeah the guy couldn't shoot to save his life . He was like 0 for 18 from the foul line before one bounced in me and the wife jumped up and cheered I still remember it . No Kemba but NYC tough.

I will never take away the “warrior “ label that I can promise. Right there with Ricky Moore on the defensive side fighting through picks always, never quit effort.

Reaction Score
He couldn’t shoot. Just a fact. Probably knocked down shots in practice but couldn’t in the games. Very important player who helped win the BET and a national championship so nothing but love for him from me.

Reaction Score
Difference is Kemba was a shooter and Taliek was maybe the worst shooting and scoring guard in UConn history. Not fair to put them in the same sentence.
Ridiculous statements. He wasn’t a great shooter but he stayed within himself and shot almost 44% for his career as a point guard.

Reaction Score
Hopeful we can add Xavier and a grad transfer. Would like our class numbers to be a bit more balanced again.

Reaction Score
I'd definitely prefer two grad transfers and focus on a big '19 class.
agreed. especially considering this kid doesn't appear to be a great shooter

Reaction Score
if he comes here and can just give us his freshman year production then it's a win.

Didn’t even notice his shot blocking production he basically averages the same as Brimah did when getting the minutes.

Reaction Score
I'm not playing the "hope for multiple 5*s in the 2019 class" game.

I'm taking 4* Xavier this year and finishing out the class with a grad transfer (or Lecque if he reclassifies and chooses to come here).
Absolutely. KO wrote the Bible on mismanaging scholarships and not taking the bird in the hand. That was his doctorate. Bruce Brown et al

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom