OT: WWC (Soccer) Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score

Now this is what I consider "rubbing in their faces". :eek:

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Not all the ladies that scored had been to a World Cup. For some it was their first time playing and scoring a goal in the World Cup. So that term doesn’t exactly work.

I don't think anyone's begrudging Mallory Pugh or Rose Lavelle a celebration. But Rapinoe and Morgan had scored WC goals before, and I would hope they'd comport themselves a little better.

As has been kind-of alluded to, in the men's game, perceived excessive celebration has been known to lead to hard fouls in later games. Let's hope that doesn't happen.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
When the twitterverse blows up when NFL players gather in the end zone to perform some ludicrous choreographed celebration; when they criticize baseball players for pointing at the wall when hitting a home run and gloating their way around the base paths; when male soccer players are chastised for hooting and hollering on the field; when some over-payed and vain glorious wide receiver is excoriated for turning around before crossing the end line, then I will entertain criticism of these women as legitimate. If they bemoan their low pay, they are lambasted. If they celebrate, or score too many goals they are raked over the coals. If they do not win every game, they are accused of being lazy, privileged, spoiled . If they pull their shirts off , it is considered unseemly, while the male players can barely refrain from going "skins" at the least provocation. It seems that nearly everything these female stars do is objectionable to so many "sports" fans. Why is so much vitriol spewed at talented, successful women? The fault , dear Brutus, is not in our stars. But in ourselves. Or at least some of us! Enjoy their victory, and hope for many more, all the while appreciating how talented and dedicated these ladies are. Please!

Reaction Score

I guess coaching his players to slow down, back off, and be nice during games is part of his MO! I wonder how many World Cup and Olympic Championships his teams have won. :eek: Head bang

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Two of the final goals were scored by players who were substitutes into the game in the second half. 6 were scored by debutantes to the WC I think and Lloyd and Rapinoe are likely playing in their last WC. And how often do players score 5 goals in a game - for most never in their life - how can you not celebrate the most prolific day in your life? Soccer is a sport where scoring goals is a rarity and every goal deserves a celebration. Admittedly after 10 in a single game maybe it gets a little redundant, but ...

No problem with the celebrations, nor for continuing to press forward - just like basketball, bad habits are something you have to guard against. The coaches seemed to be experimenting pretty heavily by the middle of the second half. Thailand lost all form having played pretty well in the first half.

Reaction Score
What people are forgetting is that goal differential is the tiebreaker in group play. Scoring a lot of goals is not rubbing it in, it’s insurance should you end up tied with another team. Scoring the goals was a question of strategy; the celebrations were a question of taste.

Reaction Score
I don't think anyone's begrudging Mallory Pugh or Rose Lavelle a celebration. But Rapinoe and Morgan had scored WC goals before, and I would hope they'd comport themselves a little better.

As has been kind-of alluded to, in the men's game, perceived excessive celebration has been known to lead to hard fouls in later games. Let's hope that doesn't happen.
Hopefully no hard fouls happen I agree. But I have no problem with their celebrations.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Back on course, The Aussies escape from a 2-0 hole to win 3-2 over Brazil and take the lead of the group on goal differential. Some weird stuff in this one

Reaction Score
That's the crap I can't stand. It was BS when some of you WBB fans were doing it back in 1990's and it's BS now.

Have to ask for clarification, what "crap" and "BS" you can't stand...my reply or what is written in attachment?

Reaction Score
The players will sort it out on the field. I don't care if they celebrate or not, just enjoy watching excellent soccer players. My daughter grew up playing soccer, and got to see nearly every home college game of Megan Rapinoe's, Shannon MacMillan's, Tiffany Milbrett's, Christine Sinclair's, & Sophie Schmidt's, and a host of other great soccer players at University of Portland. They are fantastic people who stayed after every game and signed autographs for an hour for all the youngsters. I fault the media for making such a big deal about this, and, not focusing on the excellent play of the US Team.

Last edited:

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Hope: “I am no stranger to controversy, but let me tell you: I am a proponent of respecting my opponents, and I always have been."

Yeah, this is from the woman who called Sweden "cowards" when they beat the US. To paraphrase Inigo Montoya, I don' think respect means what she thinks it means.

@Bigboote you just did a drive by media thing. Rest of quote: “Obviously, I've made some comments in the past out of poor sportsmanship, but I truly believe that we have to show so much class, especially coming from the number one team in the world… I think it was unnecessary to have planned-out goal celebrations.”

She knows she was a jerk about that. Not a fan of hers, but she owns up.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
@Bigboote you just did a drive by media thing. Rest of quote: “Obviously, I've made some comments in the past out of poor sportsmanship, but I truly believe that we have to show so much class, especially coming from the number one team in the world… I think it was unnecessary to have planned-out goal celebrations.”

She knows she was a jerk about that. Not a fan of hers, but she owns up.

What about the "I always have been" part? So maybe she understands the respect part but not the always part?

I actually like Hope. I've read her book and realize she's a tortured soul. And as you can gather from my previous remarks, I agree with her that the team got a little carried away with their celebrations. But she hasn't ALWAYS been a proponent of respecting her opponents.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
What about the "I always have been" part? So maybe she understands the respect part but not the always part?

I actually like Hope. I've read her book and realize she's a tortured soul. And as you can gather from my previous remarks, I agree with her that the team got a little carried away with their celebrations. But she hasn't ALWAYS been a proponent of respecting her opponents.

Even us proponents stumble. She was so, so angry that the Swedes went into the classic turtle shell mode. The frustration compounded because she, as goalie, could only stand witness to what transpired. She's a polarizing figure, but I do love her heart and passion.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
To me it's fascinating to see how the Thai team "celebrated" its goals in a 13-0 win over Indonesia last year:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom