OT: - WWC (Soccer) Thread | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: WWC (Soccer) Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I'll take the win but what's with these "delayed offside flags"? If the ref believes the play is offside raise the flag and stop the play...why continue on?

View attachment 43774
The short answer is because of VAR.

But you might also be thinking of the "delay" that had already been instituted before VAR. Several years ago it was decided that the AR shouldn't raise his flag until the player in offside position either touches the ball or interferes with the opponent.

Law 11 on offside is soccer’s only complex rule and it has become more complicated of late as the AR must delay raising the flag as many things could occur before the attacker in an offside position becomes involved in the play. He becomes involved by interfering with play (touching the ball), or interfering with an opponent (such as challenging for the ball with a defender right there or being in the visual path of the goalkeeper when a shot is taken), or gaining an advantage (the attacker is in an offside position when a teammate takes a shot and the ball rebounds off the crossbar or upright to that attacker or comes to the attacker from a deliberate save). The only time with the offside decision that the flag should be raised quickly is if the attacker in an offside position could collide with the opposing team’s keeper.​

Reaction Score
I'll take the win but what's with these "delayed offside flags"? If the ref believes the play is offside raise the flag and stop the play...why continue on?

View attachment 43774
Because with VAR they can go back and review so they wait to see if it was a goal scoring opportunity or not

Reaction Score
The short answer is because of VAR.

But you might also be thinking of the "delay" that had already been instituted before VAR. Several years ago it was decided that the AR shouldn't raise his flag until the player in offside position either touches the ball or interferes with the opponent.

Law 11 on offside is soccer’s only complex rule and it has become more complicated of late as the AR must delay raising the flag as many things could occur before the attacker in an offside position becomes involved in the play. He becomes involved by interfering with play (touching the ball), or interfering with an opponent (such as challenging for the ball with a defender right there or being in the visual path of the goalkeeper when a shot is taken), or gaining an advantage (the attacker is in an offside position when a teammate takes a shot and the ball rebounds off the crossbar or upright to that attacker or comes to the attacker from a deliberate save). The only time with the offside decision that the flag should be raised quickly is if the attacker in an offside position could collide with the opposing team’s keeper.​

True on all counts. Some refs still pop the flag too soon despite constant instructions. These instructions go back more than "several years" however. I still have emails from the USSF from my reffing days in the early 2000's instructing refs to keep the flag down until there is some involvement in the play. Those emails also reference FIFA papers.

Reaction Score
Because with VAR they can go back and review so they wait to see if it was a goal scoring opportunity or not

To expand on this for those who don't follow soccer: If the AR pops the flag for offside, that stops the play - and if he is wrong, it may cost a team a great goal-scoring opportunity. His mistake could easily decide the game. But if he mistakenly does not flag for offside, allowing play to continue, and a goal is scored, then VAR will disallow the goal and no harm has been done. So it makes sense to not put up the flag unless you are sure - since one kind of mistake can be catastrophic while the other kind of mistake causes no harm (other than to trigger a brief delay).

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
To expand on this for those who don't follow soccer: If the AR pops the flag for offside, that stops the play - and if he is wrong, it may cost a team a great goal-scoring opportunity. His mistake could easily decide the game. But if he mistakenly does not flag for offside, allowing play to continue, and a goal is scored, then VAR will disallow the goal and no harm has been done. So it makes sense to not put up the flag unless you are sure - since one kind of mistake can be catastrophic while the other kind of mistake causes no harm (other than to trigger a brief delay).
And the CR blows the whistle. ;)

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Finally, US vs Thailand. No reason not to dominate.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Just watched U.S. 13 - Thailand 0. Alex Morgan with 5 goals.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
I felt bad for Thailand. Maybe the worst mismatch I’ve ever watched in World Cup soccer.
It was ridiculous...like a college team playing a 6th grade team.

Reaction Score
How’s USA just gonna go off and score 13 goals and have a shutout in a World Cup

Plebe

Reaction Score
Making a very strong case that FIFA should've never expanded the WWC to 24 teams.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Making a very strong case that FIFA should've never expanded the WWC to 24 teams.

FWIW, the next largest goal differential now that all groups have played 1 game is 4 goals so the Thailand game / team is an aberration.

Plebe

Reaction Score
FWIW, the next largest goal differential now that all groups have played 1 game is 4 goals so the Thailand game / team is an aberration.
The women's WC, in its brief history, already holds the top 4 spots in the worst WC blowouts across both genders.

Differential of 9+ goals: women (4), men (0)
Differential of 8+ goals: women (6), men (1)
Differential of 7+ goals: women (9), men (2)

And the WWC has been in existence only since 1991, compared to the MWC, which started in 1930..

Last edited:

Plebe

Reaction Score
Hot take from our northern neighbors at TSN (the Canadian version of ESPN):

Reaction Score

Yes. Sadly there are six teams in the field who are worse than Thailand based on the world rankings - some much worse. In addition to taking 24 teams in a sport that still has little depth, political correctness further dilutes the field. Although almost all of the decent teams are from Europe, 3 spots are given to Africa (which has no decent team), and 3 spots are given to South America (which has only one decent team). Further complicating things was that #26 Mexico was knocked out of the CONCACAF qualifying by a bad Panama team - which opened the door for a bad Jamaica team. Also add in the failure of North Korea (#11 in the World) to qualify - which opened the door for #34 Thailand.

Btw, there are 13 European teams who failed to qualify but are ranked ahead of Thailand. It would help the field somewhat if Africa and South America each were reduced to two spots, with Europe getting two more. Among the European teams that failed to qualify were #17 Denmark, #18 Switzerland, and #20 Belgium.

One other factor in today's rout is FIFA's use of an uncapped goal differential as the first tiebreaker. Since a tie in a four-team group is fairly likely, it is incumbent on teams to run up the score early in the tournament if they have the chance. Every team in the field would have been happy to win by 13 - or even 23 - if they had the chance.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I can personally forgive the players for almost any type of celebration but I do think after a certain point, you just need to calm down . More annoying to me is the hugfest of Jill Ellis.

I hope the US team does not think they are 10+ goals better than any other team.
Results like this can distort reality.

Also, apparently there was some marketing tool with players being paid by Hulu about making celebrations to advertise Hulu live sports so I guess the better the celebrations, the more $$$$$ :oops:

As Women’s World Cup Kicks Off, US Team Joins the ‘Hulu Sellouts’

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger