OT: - WWC (Soccer) Thread | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: WWC (Soccer) Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Does this happen in men's sports? Or just a different standard of comportment for female athletes?

Endlessly yucking it up as you pummel a hapless grossly over matched opponent with USA across your chest is very distasteful, no matter the gender of the jersey wearers. Act like you've been here before ladies, because you have, many times.

But, yeah, stupid men do it too. And sometimes red cards are handed out.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I heard (although I did not hear it directly) that Julie Foudy was not happy about the over the top celebrations and asked Morgan about it but to the younger generation, there is no arguing that all levels of celebration are good and a constitutional right. :oops:

Reaction Score
What was Rapinoe protesting during the National Anthem? She didn't sing, didn't put her hand over her heart and raised her hand in some sort of protest movement at the end. Anybody know?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
That display is going to make it hard for them to keep playing the victim card in the future.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Does this happen in men's sports? Or just a different standard of comportment for female athletes?
The real danger, at least in the men's game is if you embarrass your opponent, a yellow or red card is well worth a nasty tackle.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
I didn't get a chance to watch the game but watched the goals in highlights this morning. For all the uproar, I thought the celebrations were quite muted. Morgan barely celebrated her goals at all (minus the counting thing, which she didn't make a huge show of). Mostly, it was just Rapinoe celebrating her goal like crazy and also bear-hugging all the other scorers. Love it or hate it, that's Rapinoe's m.o.

It's the World Cup. If you can celebrate at the World Cup, where can you celebrate? They didn't get any cards for over-celebrating did they?

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I didn't get a chance to watch the game but watched the goals in highlights this morning. For all the uproar, I thought the celebrations were quite muted. Morgan barely celebrated her goals at all (minus the counting thing, which she didn't make a huge show of). Mostly, it was just Rapinoe celebrating her goal like crazy and also bear-hugging all the other scorers. Love it or hate it, that's Rapinoe's m.o.

It's the World Cup. If you can celebrate at the World Cup, where can you celebrate? They didn't get any cards for over-celebrating did they?

Yeah, we don't have Solo anymore, but Rapinoe is a good substitute. I have no problem with playing hard to the end. Goal differential matters too. The game should be celebrated. A few were excessive given the score and the weakness of the opponent. We have a real opponent on Sunday; lets hope we celebrate more than a bit in that one.

Reaction Score
Show us a film of the celebrations.
So when the players that ride the bench all the time get into a blowout and the team goes crazy when they score... That's happened plenty of times. Point being, there's nothing wrong with it - they are excited for their teammate that doesn't get those opportunities often. For the US, many of those goals were by players in their first World Cup - why would they not get excited and celebrate with them? There was nothing overly theatrical and nothing directed at the opponent.

Reaction Score
We have a real opponent on Sunday; lets hope we celebrate more than a bit in that one.

No, we don't. They play Chile, who is well below Thailand in the world rankings. With the possible exception of Brazil, which gradually is getting worse, South American women's soccer is horrible. The first real opponent the U.S. plays is Sweden - a week from today.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
No, we don't. They play Chile, who is well below Thailand in the world rankings. With the possible exception of Brazil, which gradually is getting worse, South American women's soccer is horrible. The first real opponent the U.S. plays is Sweden - a week from today.
I don’t know much about the world rankings, but it’s difficult for me to believe that any team in the World Cup is weaker in goal than Thailand. While the game was certainly a mismatch, it was made far worse by the Thai goalie who is short and lacks athleticism. Several US goals were struck near or right at the Thai goalie, who appeared incapable of reacting to the ball.

I’ve watched many matches when an overmatched team hangs in there due to an incredible effort from an athletic goalie. That’s not going to happen with Thailand.

Reaction Score
Just gonna leave this here for all the UCONN fans. :rolleyes:

UCONN 140 - St. Francis 52 (3/17/18)
UCONN 117 - Quinnipiac 20 (12/27/98)
Touché to your point about running up the score, but at least UConn in these games did not have their star players still in the game at the end, but rather cleared its bench. Alex Morgan et al played the entire game against Thailand. Ridiculous and shameful. But given the current US persona, I suspect internationally, this display of dominance without regard will be seen as quite apropos...

Reaction Score
Touché to your point about running up the score, but at least UConn in these games did not have their star players still in the game at the end, but rather cleared its bench. Alex Morgan et al played the entire game against Thailand. Ridiculous and shameful. But given the current US persona, I suspect internationally, this display of dominance without regard will be seen as quite apropos...
They are only allowed 3 subs for the entire game and given the caliber of players, it'd be almost impossible for them to sub in a way that caused them to drop off.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Ummm, they are only allowed 3 subs. You can't "clear your bench".

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I don’t know much about the world rankings, but it’s difficult for me to believe that any team in the World Cup is weaker in goal than Thailand. While the game was certainly a mismatch, it was made far worse by the Thai goalie who is short and lacks athleticism. Several US goals were struck near or right at the Thai goalie, who appeared incapable of reacting to the ball.

I’ve watched many matches when an overmatched team hangs in there due to an incredible effort from an athletic goalie. That’s not going to happen with Thailand.
Yes, she certainly didn't help them any.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score

I mean, she's not gonna win Keeper of the Year, but most of those goals were the fault of a HORRIBLE back line defense that just simply couldn't mark. When the defense gives up open shots from short range, there's little to nothing a keeper can do.

I can only think of one goal (in the first half, but I forget which one exactly) that I think she should've stopped (she got a hand on it but it still went in), but even that one was more on the defense than on her. And when a player gets a clear shot on goal within roughly 20 yards of the goal, it is almost always the fault of the defense, not the keeper.

Incidentally, I think I saw a stat where the Thai keeper had more saves in that game than any other keeper has recorded in the tournament. Again, defense.

Reaction Score
Ummm, they are only allowed 3 subs. You can't "clear your bench".
I realize there are limited substitutions in soccer; still, you will admit then Morgan at least could have been substituted... And are there any kind of mandates on obnoxious cheers and undue celebrations when you're ahead by double digits? Were they required to rub it in the faces of the Thai players?

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

Sweden beat Chile 2-0. Maybe ask Sweden if they should be viewed as a worthy opponent.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I realize there are limited substitutions in soccer; still, you will admit then Morgan at least could have been substituted...
She only had 2 goals when the 3rd sub was used. I imagine Ellis had a plan for subs (assuming they would be winning) and there was no reason to detour from it.

And are there any kind of mandates on obnoxious cheers and undue celebrations when you're ahead by double digits? Were they required to rub it in the faces of the Thai players?
I don't know if they rubbed it in their faces. From what I read Thailand didn't seem to think so.

Reaction Score
She only had 2 goals when the 3rd sub was used. I imagine Ellis had a plan for subs (assuming they would be winning) and there was no reason to detour from it.

I don't know if they rubbed it in their faces. From what I read Thailand didn't seem to think so.
I think most of the celebrations were relatively muted.

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Ok, moving off the United States critiques, caught the France Norway Game. France had the better run of play but Norway definitely was competitive and the US can learn alot dissecting the game tape .

After a own goal by Rinard allows Norway to tie it up at 1-1, France gets a questionable (imho) penalty kick for the 2-1 win.

Reaction Score
Endlessly yucking it up as you pummel a hapless grossly over matched opponent with USA across your chest is very distasteful, no matter the gender of the jersey wearers. Act like you've been here before ladies, because you have, many times.

But, yeah, stupid men do it too. And sometimes red cards are handed out.

Not all the ladies that scored had been to a World Cup. For some it was their first time playing and scoring a goal in the World Cup. So that term doesn’t exactly work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom