WTIC1080 no longer broadcasting UConn games? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

WTIC1080 no longer broadcasting UConn games?

glastonbury50

You Enjoy Myself
Reaction Score
This is not that big of a deal. It most likely has more to do with contract negotiations between UCONN/IMG then with the state of the program. Guaranteed Uconn will sign with another station and Joe D will be back next year.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
With attendance down and lack of interest in UConn bball recently, I wonder how many people are still listening to UConn games on WTIC, anyway. This is 2018.
And most games are televised.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
97.9 has what, 1/20th the reach of TIC?

"Sort of"

97.9 signal all of the time: WUCS-FM Radio Station Coverage Map

WTIC Day: WTIC-AM Radio Station Coverage Map
WTIC night: WTIC-AM Radio Station Coverage Map

Given that most basketball games are at night, i would call this a wash.

For football - I would hope this opens up the potential for more affiliates, especially in Fairfield County. Even an HD Radio subchannel would be an improvement over the fairly bad alternatives we have now.

Reaction Score
This sucks but for those outside the Hartford area if UConn does go to 97.9 (ESPN Radio Hartford) it's streamable on the ESPN Radio app. Or ideally they get another station in Fairfield county to also broadcast.

Being in New Haven 1080 would actually break up a good amount so we'll have to see how coverage compares.

Reaction Score
This sucks but for those outside the Hartford area if UConn does go to 97.9 (ESPN Radio Hartford) it's streamable on the ESPN Radio app. Or ideally they get another station in Fairfield county to also broadcast.

Being in New Haven 1080 would actually break up a good amount so we'll have to see how coverage compares.
Hoping ESPN 1300AM picks them up too

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Hoping ESPN 1300AM picks them up too

WELI is a better signal, why would you want 1300?

They're both pretty bad, especially at night, though. The west side of Milford can't get a good signal from either, at night. Think about that.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
My opinion on this depends on whether WTIC was asking for a significant discount or not.

Based on the "elite power 5" comment from the entercom suit, i would say yes.

The question is - what does Entercom consider "elite power 5?" If the answer is BC (whose flagship is WEEI, which is also entercom's) - hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha, we absolutely bring more ears.

Reaction Score
WELI is a better signal, why would you want 1300?

They're both pretty bad, especially at night, though. The west side of Milford can't get a good signal from either, at night. Think about that.
I was just thinking 1300 because its ESPN affiliate

Reaction Score
With attendance down and lack of interest in UConn bball recently, I wonder how many people are still listening to UConn games on WTIC, anyway. This is 2018.

I totally agree with your comments; who wants to pay to see or even listen to this exercise in futility, attendance should be down. I'm at the point now where I don't want to know what the score of each game is because most likely it is a huge disappointment and wrecks my day knowing what we had and what we now have.

As for the lack of interest in UConn bball, they obviously don't visit the Boneyard cause there is a whole lot of interest in UConn bball here. I get what you are saying though, nationally, we are now viewed as irrelevant, sad.

I don't get WTIC where I live but it is a bummer when the most powerful radio station in the area doesn't carry the games. Would I listen to the game on the radio if I had access, probably since I'm glutton for punishment. I guess that is now a requirement to being a UConn men's basketball fan.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Even though the demographics of people who listen to AM radio are probably in a downward spiral due to dying off of old age, the optics here are pretty sucky.

And TIC now has a completely unlistenable lineup. Except for the tag sale.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom