Would UConn Basketball survive the move to the ACC | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Would UConn Basketball survive the move to the ACC

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
The ACC will look like the AAC in 10 years, just with better leftovers as teams, because they will be picked apart.
But at least they'll all be in the east.

The P2 are only going to poach a handful of teams. We're not one of them. If a landing place offers natural rivals and a bigger payday than what we've got now, I'm all for it. There's still a need for live sports content and at least the ACC would have recognizable names and time slots convenient for east coast viewers. I never expected to be competing for an NC.

Reaction Score
I usually don't like what if's but the recent news about Boeheim has me thinking. BTW--that is a guy who never really wanted to break up the old Big East. So I am intrigued, as we have seen so many once proud programs, break upon the rocks of the ACC, if we moved over there would we survive or end up as also rans just like all the others?
:) :)

Reaction Score
The ACC does something totally unexpected and goes WWII on the Big East by poaching UConn, SJU, Villanova, Georgetown. Even if the football powers leave, it is essentially a combo of the Big East and ACC and unvelievable hoops. I'm sticking with the football - basketball hybrid conference model whether it's called the Big East or ACC.

Reaction Score
I understand the money aspect and I know college sports will continue to shift as conferences poach from one another, so this might be an irrational take. I have no desire to go to the ACC. We’re a day away from taking over MSG for the weekend. I wouldn’t want to be playing in Greensboro this week. And Cuse, BC, Pitt, and Louisville are dead to me. Three of them are irrelevant right now. Let them flounder.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The ACC will look like the AAC in 10 years, just with better leftovers as teams, because they will be picked apart.
As the P5 condenses to the P2 there will be less premier spots so the “leftovers” will be off a better quality. [shrugs] It’s not much but it’s something.

Reaction Score
We’re actually potentially in a better position for conference realignment than some of the ACC teams because we aren’t locked into a GOR like they are. I could see a package deal with us and Kansas going to the BIG making a lot of sense. I personally kind of hate the style of basketball the Big 10 plays, it’s slow and boring, so that would be a negative, but we’d be in with flagship state schools which would make a lot of sense.

District-Husky

Casual DC Fan
Reaction Score
I think its more likely that the ACC leftovers - Cuse, Pitt, BC, and probably Duke, Wake, and ND for Olympic sports - join the Big East and create another hybrid conference.

Reaction Score
UConn fans continue to underestimate the strength of the Big East brand. It is greater than the sum of its parts. The brand draws talent. It's the only way to explain that waves after waves of realignment the Big East is still on top.

We leave to a southern centric conference like the ACC and we can easily see our fate just by looking at the other ex-partners that have left. The four national championships won't do $hyt the same way it didn't do $hyt while we were in the AAC
You’re seemingly only comparing Big East brand vs AAC brand relatively, which is of course night and day.

Big East vs ACC is not some big difference to recruits. It’s a P5 conference. We would still rule NE recruiting and only expand south with membership in the ACC. Duke and UNC even without K and Roy have at least as much brand pull as the whole Big East. Our real regional rivals are there and we could absolutely drum that back up. Especially now that Wright is no longer at Nova.

And let’s not discount what it would do for football and the university at large from a $ standpoint

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Recruiting would drop a tier, but I assume they would be ok.
I don't think recruiting would be an issue. It's not the American Athletic Conference so the competition and TV schedules more attractive for recruiting. Most North East Kids join the ACC teams anyway

Reaction Score
You’re seemingly only comparing Big East brand vs AAC brand relatively, which is of course night and day.

Big East vs ACC is not some big difference to recruits. It’s a P5 conference. We would still rule NE recruiting and only expand south with membership in the ACC. Duke and UNC even without K and Roy have at least as much brand pull as the whole Big East. Our real regional rivals are there and we could absolutely drum that back up. Especially now that Wright is no longer at Nova.

And let’s not discount what it would do for football and the university at large from a $ standpoint
Best points

Reaction Score
It is better for the players not to have to travel all over the country to play. Being able to take a bus to Providence, St John’s, Seton Hall, and Philly is huge. Also nice to be playing in major US cities of Northeast. I wish we could get BC, Syracuse, and Pitt back into the conference. Chasing the football money destroyed 3 good basketball programs at those schools.
I think the Big East is a more interesting league than ACC, which has been dominated by Duke/UNC forever. My only gripe with Big East is the officiating. It is bad across the board, with allowing players to get mugged on court at times, and pretty biased towards a few teams.

Reaction Score
The ACC is becoming a trash conference and will be a shadow of itself as the top tier departs. It certainly hasn’t done anything to elevate BC or Cuse. We belong in the B1G. They haven’t won an NCAA championship in MBB in 23 years.

Reaction Score
It is better for the players not to have to travel all over the country to play. Being able to take a bus to Providence, St John’s, Seton Hall, and Philly is huge. Also nice to be playing in major US cities of Northeast. I wish we could get BC, Syracuse, and Pitt back into the conference. Chasing the football money destroyed 3 good basketball programs at those schools.
I think the Big East is a more interesting league than ACC, which has been dominated by Duke/UNC forever. My only gripe with Big East is the officiating. It is bad across the board, with allowing players to get mugged on court at times, and pretty biased towards a few teams.
I agree with everything you said except.., taking BC and Pitt back in the big east… I would take Syracuse back… but know way with Pitt and definitely not BC

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Love the big East, but for those who think recruiting would take a hit, remember that the kids we’d be recruiting to UConn would be much more familiar with the recent success of programs like UVA, Duke and UNC vs the ancient success of Georgetown, St. John’s and Seton Hall…

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom