Would UConn Basketball survive the move to the ACC | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Would UConn Basketball survive the move to the ACC

Reaction Score
Love the big East, but for those who think recruiting would take a hit, remember that the kids we’d be recruiting to UConn would be much more familiar with the recent success of programs like UVA, Duke and UNC vs the ancient success of Georgetown, St. John’s and Seton Hall…
Yes. But they are familiar with the success of Villanova and UConn. Having other name coaches like Shaka and Miller in the conference helps too.

Reaction Score
Yes. But they are familiar with the success of Villanova and UConn. Having other name coaches like Shaka and Miller in the conference helps too.
Will Marquette or Xavier even be able to muster a decent counter offer if a P5 came calling? Would we?

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
If this hypothetical were to happen, we'd be swapping out PC, St John's, Seton Hall, Nova and Georgetown for Syracuse, BC, Pitt, UNC, Duke & NC St. An increase in travel but that is offset by a larger increase in name value of opponents. There also is a large increase in swapping out whoever we would view our top current in-conference rival with Syracuse, offset by a reasonable decrease in swapping out whoever is second and third with Pitt & BC followed by whatever the loss would be swapping out the remaining original BE schools with the tobacco road schools.

Swapping out the western five BE schools with the remaining ACC schools is not only a gain in terms of travel, it would also be a slight overall increase in games against opponents that we have history with and an overall (although not all that large) increase in name value of opponents.

If those running the men's program actually do their jobs, we would benefit overall from the move.

That said, under the current climate the only way I would consider the move would be under the condition that we would not need to sign the grant of rights agreement. As things stand today, that is a ball and chain that will end up limiting the success of schools that are capable of rising above what the current ACC can allow and I personally believe that we are one of the schools that can rise above that.

Reaction Score
Getting out of the American and into the Big East was absolutely the right move for our basketball program at that time. Though it’s safe to say firing Ollie and hiring Hurley had more to do with turnaround than the conference switch.

But I hate being in the big East. I hate being the only large public land grant research university in a conference of small private Catholic liberal arts schools. UConn doesn’t belong with those schools.

Several people in this thread have mentioned proximity and yes providence, St. John’s and Villanova are close but don’t forget we are making trips to Milwaukee, Chicago and to wherever Midwest wasteland creighton is. I’m still not sure.

I would much rather play Syracuse, BCU and Pitt in basketball and football every year. And bring on Duke and UNC. Love it. And it helps baseball and women’s basketball and all the Olympics.

And we know the athletic department definitely needs the bigger pay day to survive long term.

So to answer the op’s question, yes we would survive and thrive in the ACC but it’s probably something we need to have happen to survive.

That or the Big 10. I’m good either way!!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
That said, under the current climate the only way I would consider the move would be under the condition that we would not need to sign the grant of rights agreement. As things stand today, that is a ball and chain that will end up limiting the success of schools that are capable of rising above what the current ACC can allow and I personally believe that we are one of the schools that can rise above that
Signing the GOR would be part and parcel of joining the ACC. The ACC media deal is poor, compared to its peers, but it’s a world of difference from where we are, which right now is about $4 million for media money. The Big East is about to renegotiate its deal but that number is likely to be in the $7M range. The ACC is in the $35 million range. There’d GOR runs until 2036. So if we have a choice of $7 million for 13 years ($91M) or $35 million for 13 years ($455M) but have to sign their GOR, signing the GOR is a no-brainer.( And that’s without considering the fact that it takes us from being a G5 school to being a P5 school.)

Reaction Score
You're comparing the AAC to the ACC? Lol

No. What I'm actually comparing is UConn residing in one southern centric conference vs another southern centric conference.

ACC is always going to gravitate around Tobacco Road first. That's the spiritual heart of that conference. Its always going to be UNC/Duke as elite basketball programs of that conference and then everyone else. Recruits and the general population know this is the case. When you think ACC you think Duke/UNC not Syracuse, Pitt, ND, or BC. Its just a fact

Here in the Big East we have our own gravitational force centered around the New York City metropolitan area (even if there's 5 midwestern schools) which helps in branding and recruiting. Where the Elite teams are UConn/Villanova.

Why exile our program to compete in a league it does not belong and where it isn't going to be at the top tier? especially when its competing at a high level right now - both in MBB/WBB - despite the apparent resources differences? Are we going to continue the game of just making moves for money without realizing the downsides? Uconn is thriving right now. Don't up something that is working.

Football is finally showing signs of life. If they want to play higher level teams then go ahead and form alliances/partnerships with schools to get better games. But don't let that be the driver because we will never be a Michigan or an Alabama. We were late to the party and have to live with that.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The old BE had Miami, WVU, Va. Tech, and L’ville. Along w/ Cincy, Marquette, and DePaul. It wasn’t a cozy northeast league.

It doesn't matter. Like I said in the post above. The league's heart was still centered in the New York metropolitan area and that is a big draw for recruits and fans.

Reaction Score
I think its more likely that the ACC leftovers - Cuse, Pitt, BC, and probably Duke, Wake, and ND for Olympic sports - join the Big East and create another hybrid conference.
It'll take years for such a conference like this to come around

Reaction Score
I usually don't like what if's but the recent news about Boeheim has me thinking. BTW--that is a guy who never really wanted to break up the old Big East. So I am intrigued, as we have seen so many once proud programs, break upon the rocks of the ACC, if we moved over there would we survive or end up as also rans just like all the others?

We would survive and thrive as long as we got quality coaching. College basketball is all about the coaching. Right now we are lucky to have one of the best in the business, having more money would help us keep him.

To my point, is the Big East conference killing Georgetown or do they have a lousy coach?

Last edited:

Hondo 77

The voice of reason
Reaction Score
The ACC is becoming a trash conference and will be a shadow of itself as the top tier departs.
It couldn't happen to a nicer bunch.

Reaction Score
We all saw the excitement at MSG today. Thousands of fans from CT and RI flock to MSG to see BET Basketball. No other conference tournament comes close. Forget all the other BS, CR, all that sheet. This is what it's about.

Now look at cuse. The thing with cuse is it's a large private school and has a following in upstate NY like a large public. It doesn't really have the national following that some other privates have. Meanwhile their team has to go play a conference tournament game down in freaking greensboro or something. Are you kidding me? No more March drives into NYC to see the greatest tournament. That's just awful. The crowd for a cuse vs SJU game in MSG compared to cuse vs wake at greensboro. No wonder those programs are dead.

Reaction Score
We all saw the excitement at MSG today. Thousands of fans from CT and RI flock to MSG to see BET Basketball. No other conference tournament comes close. Forget all the other BS, CR, all that sheet. This is what it's about.

Now look at cuse. The thing with cuse is it's a large private school and has a following in upstate NY like a large public. It doesn't really have the national following that some other privates have. Meanwhile their team has to go play a conference tournament game down in freaking greensboro or something. Are you kidding me? No more March drives into NYC to see the greatest tournament. That's just awful. The crowd for a cuse vs SJU game in MSG compared to cuse vs wake at greensboro. No wonder those programs are dead.
The ACC has been splitting their tournament between Brooklyn and Greensboro. I would assume they would at least continue that if the northern contingent became even stronger with a UConn addition. We would start taking over Barclay's every other year instead of MSG.

Reaction Score

turn the telescope around.

Reaction Score
About the OP: TO PARAPHRAS E, "It's a UCONN world, and everyone else just rents space."

Reaction Score
If we're talking current ACC, there is no reason that they couldn't be near the top of basketball and be at least as good or better than programs like BC or Cuse in football. In a future reconfigured ACC, after the top brands move to The SEC and B1G, there is no doubt that UConn could be at the top of the basketball side and be competitive on the football side as long as the league is stable.

So, to answer the question, yes to either scenario. That said competitive or not means nothing in the grand scheme of things. The only thing that matters is whether you are additive to the overall contract to pay for your inclusion, or if you are necessary add to save the conference from disbanding. My guess is that UConn gets into a post raided ACC a few years before the end of the current GOR. Same thing that got Cincy and BYU into The Big 12.

This could be tested if The Big 12 makes UConn a ND type deal for basketball/Olympics and offers 5 football games yearly to help with the current independent scheduling issues.

Reaction Score
If we're talking current ACC, there is no reason that they couldn't be near the top of basketball and be at least as good or better than programs like BC or Cuse in football. In a future reconfigured ACC, after the top brands move to The SEC and B1G, there is no doubt that UConn could be at the top of the basketball side and be competitive on the football side as long as the league is stable.

So, to answer the question, yes to either scenario. That said competitive or not means nothing in the grand scheme of things. The only thing that matters is whether you are additive to the overall contract to pay for your inclusion, or if you are necessary add to save the conference from disbanding. My guess is that UConn gets into a post raided ACC a few years before the end of the current GOR. Same thing that got Cincy and BYU into The Big 12.

This could be tested if The Big 12 makes UConn a ND type deal for basketball/Olympics and offers 5 football games yearly to help with the current independent scheduling issues.
The X factor that they seem to overlook is that UCONN has a long history of making the best of opportunities. It joined the original Big East, hired new coaches, and became basketball powerhouses. It elevated its football program, hired a new coach, joined the Big East, and started going to bowl games. Upgraded its Hockey program, hired a new coach, joined Hockey East, and started beating top programs.

UCONN is like the freaking playbook on how to succeed, how many more case studies to they need! Too many people making decisions don't see the potential of a program that finds success even without the bankroll. They can get UCONN on the cheap and the value is sure to come later.

Reaction Score
The X factor that they seem to overlook is that UCONN has a long history of making the best of opportunities. It joined the original Big East, hired new coaches, and became basketball powerhouses. It elevated its football program, hired a new coach, joined the Big East, and started going to bowl games. Upgraded its Hockey program, hired a new coach, joined Hockey East, and started beating top programs.

UCONN is like the freaking playbook on how to succeed, how many more case studies to they need! Too many people making decisions don't see the potential of a program that finds success even without the bankroll. They can get UCONN on the cheap and the value is sure to come later.
You’re thinking about this like a fan, because obviously you are one. The reality is that your ability to win is almost immaterial. Do you add money to the pot or are you just another mouth to feed? The ACC has got plenty of those already.

Reaction Score
You’re thinking about this like a fan, because obviously you are one. The reality is that your ability to win is almost immaterial. Do you add money to the pot or are you just another mouth to feed? The ACC has got plenty of those already.
The ability to win is immaterial? What else is there? Louisville, SU, BCU. Are they adding money to the pot by sucking? Explain this to me like I'm a 2 year old.

Reaction Score
The ability to win is immaterial? What else is there? Louisville, SU, BCU. Are they adding money to the pot by sucking? Explain this to me like I'm a 2 year old.
He is saying they are part of the teams that are just more mouths to feed. They don’t add to the pot.

Reaction Score
No. What I'm actually comparing is UConn residing in one southern centric conference vs another southern centric conference.

ACC is always going to gravitate around Tobacco Road first. That's the spiritual heart of that conference. Its always going to be UNC/Duke as elite basketball programs of that conference and then everyone else. Recruits and the general population know this is the case. When you think ACC you think Duke/UNC not Syracuse, Pitt, ND, or BC. Its just a fact

Here in the Big East we have our own gravitational force centered around the New York City metropolitan area (even if there's 5 midwestern schools) which helps in branding and recruiting. Where the Elite teams are UConn/Villanova.

Why exile our program to compete in a league it does not belong and where it isn't going to be at the top tier? especially when its competing at a high level right now - both in MBB/WBB - despite the apparent resources differences? Are we going to continue the game of just making moves for money without realizing the downsides? Uconn is thriving right now. Don't up something that is working.

Football is finally showing signs of life. If they want to play higher level teams then go ahead and form alliances/partnerships with schools to get better games. But don't let that be the driver because we will never be a Michigan or an Alabama. We were late to the party and have to live with that.
This is a good post… makes you think instead of chasing money…stay in a conference that you like…this conference is so much fun to be in…I guess the argument is… that we won’t be able to pay our coaches if we don’t go in a high paying conference… but the big east has some of the best coaches in the country now

Reaction Score
This is a good post… makes you think instead of chasing money…stay in a conference that you like…this conference is so much fun to be in…I guess the argument is… that we won’t be able to pay our coaches if we don’t go in a high paying conference… but the big east has some of the best coaches in the country now
College athletics is now a financial arms race, and staying in the Big East has us racing in a potato sack.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom