Would UConn Basketball survive the move to the ACC | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Would UConn Basketball survive the move to the ACC

Reaction Score
yes finances don't matter for things like assistant coach salaries, facilities, athletic department support of athletes, being able to make respectable counter-offers to coaching staff with other job offers..........

Well... Clearly... that didn't stop them from winning the National Championship. If they continue winning you guys really have no bargaining power for this. I'm sorry.

The State of Connecticut will have to continue footing the bill... because the bills are getting paid even with a massive $40+ million deficit. But you know what? The school is on top of the CBB world right now. The fanbase is reinvigorated. The money from donors will continue to grow. That's what happens when you WIN. When you WIN BIG.

The Big East is in the NYC/NE Sphere of Influence. A sphere of influence dominated by UConn/Villanova and soon perhaps even by SJU.

I do not want to compete for a sphere of influence in the Great Plains (Middle America) or Greensboro when we can produce national championships here in NY/CT/NJ

Meanwhile, I suggest UConn continues to incubate it's football program as an Independent. To continue to stabilize the programs with easy/intermediate wins to reinvigorate the football fanbase rather than jump into a F5 conference and be a perennial bottom dwellers.

You guys are the ones that lack strategy IMO. You guys are just looking at immediate money gains, not realizing how much more important is to have momentum, a good perception of "a program in upward trayectory" in creating a long-term winning athletic department. A jump to the B12/ACC tomorrow would potentially ruin that for the football program when it finds itself in the bottom of those leagues in exchange for a nice paycheck

Reaction Score
Well... Clearly... that didn't stop them from winning the National Championship. If they continue winning you guys really have no bargaining power for this. I'm sorry.

The State of Connecticut will have to continue footing the bill... because the bills are getting paid even with a massive $40+ million deficit. But you know what? The school is on top of the CBB world right now. The fanbase is reinvigorated. The money from donors will continue to grow. That's what happens when you WIN. When you WIN BIG.

The Big East is in the NYC/NE Sphere of Influence. A sphere of influence dominated by UConn/Villanova and soon perhaps even by SJU.

I do not want to compete for a sphere of influence in the Great Plains (Middle America) or Greensboro when we can produce national championships here in NY/CT/NJ

Meanwhile, I suggest UConn continues to incubate it's football program as an Independent. To continue to stabilize the programs with easy/intermediate wins to reinvigorate the football fanbase rather than jump into a F5 conference and be a perennial bottom dwellers.

You guys are the ones that lack strategy IMO. You guys are just looking at immediate money gains, not realizing how much more important is to have momentum, a good perception of "a program in upward trayectory" in creating a long-term winning athletic department. A jump to the B12/ACC tomorrow would potentially ruin that for the football program when it finds itself in the bottom of those leagues in exchange for a nice paycheck
sphere of influence in the Great Plains....you mean like the midwestern Big East tournament final?

Reaction Score

You're not taking into account that there is real threat of the p5 breaking off completely in all sports. You want to be on the right side of the fence if that happens.

Reaction Score
Ask Syracuse basketball fans what conference they want to be in now… hint .. it ain’t the acc
The people that make the decisions care (a lot) more about financial security than titles. Syracuse fans are going to have to adjust (read: lower) their expectations to something more realistic. Syracuse is an afterthought school with the recent athletic history to match. At the end of the day, only the dollars and cents matter to the bean counters, and what the fan base wants vis a vis on the field/court success is at best a secondary consideration.

Reaction Score
Fun fact. There are more Big East pre-raid (2004) members in the ACC (6) than in the Big East (5)

Not counting UConn

Hmmm.. Trying to understand the math here...

Boston College
Connecticut*
Georgetown*
Providence*
St. John's *
Seton Hall*
Syracuse
Villanova*
Pittsburgh

Reaction Score
Miami
Va Tech

Those are not original alignment Big East members. They were all transitory.

I would say the originals are those that joined before the Big East moved into the Madison Square Garden in 1983

Urcea

Rent Enjoyer
Reaction Score

I would say the originals are those that joined before the Big East moved into the Madison Square Garden in 1983
He said “pre-2004 Raid” not “original.” I would add that the ACC by far has a larger number if you expand the pool to “old Big East” generally

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score

Despite your definition, @ScottVib clearly referred to the "2004 raid." Besides, the Big East didn't sponsor Football until the early 90s, when Miami was a charter member of the football conference.

Reaction Score

OP said at the time of the split in 2004. Those two teams were BE members at that time.

Reaction Score
Got cha. My bad. I kinda overlooked the 2004. I guess it all depends how far you go.

But damn... I feel like you guys are really pushing it to associate "Miami" and "Virginia Tech" with the Big East. That a was a desperate and temporary marriage and everyone knew it from the start.

Its like those immigration marriages to get papers. LOL. The Big East needed football and it was looking everywhere for partners to get them legitimacy

Reaction Score
Got cha. My bad. I kinda overlooked the 2004. I guess it all depends how far you go.

But damn... I feel like you guys are really pushing it to associate "Miami" and "Virginia Tech" with the Big East. That a was a desperate and temporary marriage and everyone knew it from the start.

Its like those immigration marriages to get papers. LOL. The Big East needed football and it was looking everywhere for partners to get them legitimacy
pushing it? Miami put Big East football on the map, and Va Tech was very good too. Also, both were good additions for basketball too - less so Va Tech but they started to turn the corner with Seth Greenberg.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
We are a basketball school… right now we are on top of the mountain… our football…we have to continue to build it…out ceiling is not a national championship… its never going happen… so what is it?… I would like a byu independent or join the aac

Reaction Score
We played Miami in basketball for more years than DePaul or Marquette. Also Notre Dame is in the ACC count I used.

I just thought it was interesting not something for agenda, but the ACC wouldn't be like UConn’s joining a conference that they had no history with.

Reaction Score
We are a basketball school… right now we are on top of the mountain… our football…we have to continue to build it…out ceiling is not a national championship… its never going happen… so what is it?… I would like a byu independent or join the aac
The football goal is respectability. That basically means at least 5 wins a season, bowl game more often than not even if not prestigious ones, with the occasional (i.e. once every 5-10 years) 7 or 8 win surprise season when everything breaks right. I don't think that's out of reach.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Big East-only people are myopic and small-timers.
That's too harsh. While I understand that finding a conference for football is Job 1, football almost took us down. That's not easily forgotten.

Reaction Score
That's too harsh. While I understand that finding a conference for football is Job 1, football almost took us down. That's not easily forgotten.
Perhaps I should have dialed that back a bit. However, we are trying to find a good place to park our entire athletic program, not just football.

Reaction Score

The AAC's impact to UConn athletic success is way overstated. Crappy coaching on both the football and men's basketball programs almost took UConn down. Women's hoops never missed a beat, again due to coaching. The AAC's impact to UConn casual fan interest... that definitely was a problem, albeit one that would've been mitigated to an extent by winning more.

Now that doesn't mean that the move hasn't turned out to be the right one. I think it's an unquestionable success and given the CR ripples was absolutely the right move; but Hurley would've been successful in either conference and to that point had UConn improving and rolling going into the AAC tournament in 2020 where they looked ready to make some noise prior to the cancellation.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom