Worried? | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Worried?

Status
Not open for further replies.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Actually, I have an alternate theory as to the new rotations.
Geno realized that unless he plays the kids, he won't win.
The half-time crew: the coach and Kara, noted no or few shots for KML near the end of the ND game
Could it be that a few more mintes off might help?
True, the kids seem more prepared; but its been too long in coming.
Steff and KML need time off.
BTW; I love Bria's mid-range pull-up. Take more Bria.

Reaction Score
There is absolutely nothing in the world more pleasant than waking up on a Sunday morning to find that someone has called you an idiot. It is perhaps this kind of personal attack that has caused some people to leave the Board. But I digress.

In replying to the OP, at no time did I suggest that I personally believed that UConn would be going it alone as an independent. The OP raised the premise that UConn should be compared to ND's football team, which I'm sure you'll admit that even an idiot would know is an independent. In responding to him or her, I simply accepted the premise and answered it. If I had done something else, I would have been comparing apples and oranges. In fact, I do not believe that UConn would ever go independent, or ever be put in a position of having to do so. You're right: What is likely to happen is that it will be in the Leftover League, at least for a while until the other leagues iron out their situations, and will then be in a better league, perhaps the ACC. I actually think that's the best that can be hoped for at this point, and it is, IMHO, likely to happen. I do not see how that makes me miserable or pessimistic or a doomsayer, but you are, of course, entitled to your opinion, as I presume I am. But as this mess (and I don't see how even you can call it anything else) has developed, virtually everything that in the past I've thought and written might happen as a worst-case scenario has, in fact, happened. But as pessimistic as I was, even I did not figure the leftovers would abandoned by the Catholic 7 and would opt to take the millions instead of retaining the Big East brand. I don't think anyone would have thought that possible, never mind likely.

America 12. Great. Sounds like a sailboat.

Here, IMHO, is how women's basketball looks to me right now. There are 4 or 5 top teams at the top and another half-dozen (yes, including NC) scrambling to move up. There is a tad more parity, but still nothing like what's seen in the men's game. Of the top 4 or 5, there is UConn, with a great and deserved reputation but playing in a weakened league. There s Baylor, which will lose Griner but which I believe will field Top 10 or better teams for the next decade. There is Stanford, which operates in its own sphere. Out West where I live, Stanford is compared favorably to Harvard. Whether or not that's accurate, if a player can get into Stanford, she probably will go there. That gives Stanford a huge leg up. There is Duke, which many think of in the same sort of way. And then there's Notre Dame and whether we like it or not, they will continue to field very good teams coached by a top-notch talent. After them come the Kentuckys and Cals of the world.

You know how competitive recruiting is. You don't think those others aren't using UConn's league situation against it? All I'm suggesting is that some of that may be working. All I'm suggesting is this is an interesting time for UConn to had to settle for a one-player class coming in and, as good as that one player seems to be, the team is incredibly vulnerable next year because of the numbers. All it'll take is for Banks to not come back quickly from her surgery and for one other player -- pick one, any one -- to go down for even a couple of weeks with an illness or injury. If that happens at the wrong time in the season, it will not be pretty. I'm not wishing that to happen and I am certainly not predicting it. What I am saying is that if you or anyone else wants to take a realistic look at the team's immediate future, you have to allow for the possibility that these things might happen. And when you start thinking about that, you wonder what might have caused that situation, which leads me, at least, to a consideration of the comparative recruiting situation.

As for North Carolina being the new power, what I said, and have said in the past, is that I believe a trend is developing away from UConn and that North Carolina's phenomenal success is the last couple of years is an example of it.

Actually, in one sense, you are perhaps more pessimistic than I am. You suggest that UConn's chances of getting into a major conference such as the
ACC are about the same as or better than its chances of going independent. Since, as I said above, I believe that UConn definitely will not go independent, and that eventually it will join a major conference, I actually believe UConn's outlook is easily as good as you do.

Despite what you accured me of, are we doomed? No, as I suggested in my post. No team with UConn's proud history and Geno's skill is doomed. But while we wait for the league situation to reslve itself, while UConn is in weakened league and scrambles to find its way into a better league, other teams will have a competitive advantage in recruiting. Short - to middle-term, that could seriously hurt the team's chances over the next 5-10 years. Which is all I ever said in the first place.
I'm trying to understand what you are mean when you talk about "North Carolina's phenomenal success in the last couple of years"?????? It certainly isn't on the court that they've had this "phenomenal success". I think year in and year out they have been one of the most pathetic teams in basketball considering the talent level that they've had for many many years. They are the epitome of UNDERACHIEVER and are probably the team you'll find in the dictionary if you type that word in. They've had a great deal of success in recruiting in the past couple of years, even more than they ordinarily have but to presume that translates into anything that could result into even a Final Four appearance, much less a title is a big stretch!!!!!!!!!! I have no idea how anyone who wants to win a national title would ever consider North Carolina based on what they've done over the years. Their one title was a fluke, a last second three point shot in an off season for women's basketball and an aberration that likely won't ever happen again. Their coaching staff sucks badly! They win games against mediocrity because of the talent they've always recruited but against upper echelon teams with reasonably comparable talent, they get hammered. Their coach has won over 900 games but when you look at the ACC over the years you know where the vast majority of those wins came from, though the ACC is starting to get a little better. Outside of Duke there had been no team of any substance in that conference over the years. I understand that maybe some of these recruits think they can make a difference and obviously North Carolina is a good school with a wonderful campus and facilities but if you want to win, why are you going there????? When the phenomenal success translates on the court, defeating the top shelf women's teams in the country with some regularity, then that might give your statement some credibility.

Reaction Score
Perhaps I wasn't clear enough. recruiting success only, not on-court success. In terms of living up to their potential, they are dreadful. Their defense is always suspect and their coach is, well, lacking. I totally agree with your definition of them as an underchiever.

But for whatever reason, they have accumulated a treasure trove of recruits. Maybe, as one BYer suggested months ago, these are players who want to be able to play the way they want, and the coach will let them do that.

I'm trying to understand what you are mean when you talk about "North Carolina's phenomenal success in the last couple of years"?????? It certainly isn't on the court that they've had this "phenomenal success". I think year in and year out they have been one of the most pathetic teams in basketball considering the talent level that they've had for many many years. They are the epitome of UNDERACHIEVER and are probably the team you'll find in the dictionary if you type that word in. They've had a great deal of success in recruiting in the past couple of years, even more than they ordinarily have but to presume that translates into anything that could result into even a Final Four appearance, much less a title is a big stretch!!!!!!!!!! I have no idea how anyone who wants to win a national title would ever consider North Carolina based on what they've done over the years. Their one title was a fluke, a last second three point shot in an off season for women's basketball and an aberration that likely won't ever happen again. Their coaching staff sucks badly! They win games against mediocrity because of the talent they've always recruited but against upper echelon teams with reasonably comparable talent, they get hammered. Their coach has won over 900 games but when you look at the ACC over the years you know where the vast majority of those wins came from, though the ACC is starting to get a little better. Outside of Duke there had been no team of any substance in that conference over the years. I understand that maybe some of these recruits think they can make a difference and obviously North Carolina is a good school with a wonderful campus and facilities but if you want to win, why are you going there????? When the phenomenal success translates on the court, defeating the top shelf women's teams in the country with some regularity, then that might give your statement some credibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom