Worried? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Worried?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
You must be a fun person to sit next to at a game.

I wish I could get to a game, but I live in Virginia now

You say MoJeff can't be a good pg because of her body type?. You must joking.

I will also point out that the only two teams that UConn has not beaten this year take big hits for graduation, while UConn loses only one significant contributor.

One of them, ND, has a highly rated PG to replace SD. Baylor still has Simms next year. Yes, they won't have BG, but with their team leader coming back they will be better than we give them credit for now. Look at what ND did this year after 4 seniors graduated because SkyDig returned. Not many thought ND would be in the mix this year.

As to UConn's loss, I believe Kelly's not being here next year will be huge. More than people think. Again, I hope I am wrong.

IMO, UConn doesn't have the depth they need. I acknowledge, depth without skill doesn't mean much.

Reaction Score
All of this conjecture is futile. And, the pessimism has little basis. UConn hasn't had enough close games to form any statistically valid opinions. Everyone misses foul shots, even two in a row. Research has shown that no more shots are missed in pressure situations than at any other time in a game. Just because shots were missed in an important game doesn't mean anything for the future. If McBride's off the mark 3 pt shot hadn't bounced around and gone in, little of this discussion would be happening.

We can still win it all this year. With very minor differences, we could be undefeated this year. I certainly didn't think Hartley's year would be like it's been. I didn't expect Faris to become a scoring threat. Who knows what will happen next year. Jewel Loyd might quit and become a nun. Sims might have a Hartley year. Our 3 soon-to-be sophomores might all come out next year like world beaters. Meanwhile, I'm just going to enjoy the rest of this season and not worry about the future just yet.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Expectations heading into the season were that we would have the deepest team in years. Today, that is no longer reality. Reality is this team has been challenged continually by significant injuries, including those lingering from last year and new ones. Kiah finished last season needing surgery, Bria sprained her ankle during the summer, etc. Since the beginning of the season Bria re-sprained her ankle, Kiah had stress reactions, KML had a concussion and a quad contusion, Caroline's knee has been day to day, Morgan's knee has cost her time, and, of course, most tragically of all we lost Brianna to the dreaded ACL. In other words this team has been through the wringer dealing with the physical. In one game we lost Stef 10 minutes before the tip and Brianna 10 minutes in and still fought on.

We, the fans, expected depth but it evaporated, we expected a returning AA and depth at guard but beginning with a difficult injury she has struggled with injury and then confidence and guard depth has been like trying to grab dust in the wind.

How difficult has the situation been? Well, Swiss Army Knife player, Kelly Faris, who played the 4 last year has been forced into taking minutes not just at guard but at point guard. The good news is that Kelly has done things this season almost no one expected from her, including a huge game the other night. There have been wonderful moments emerge, ones that have kept us in the hunt.

Three losses, all in games in which we led in the second half. Games in which we were competitive right to the end.

Is this season what we thought, no, but is it a reason for despair, not in the least. Three loses to the # 1 and #2 teams by a total of 16 points and 3 OTs despite all those hurdles. Wow!

Personally, the odds of this team are light years better than another UCONN team that won a NC a couple of years ago. A team many thought was in just as much disarray prior to that run, a team that had not dominated every other opponent as this Husky team. Ten games, ten wins that is what it will take. A little more from an AA guard who clearly has it in her, a few more contributions from 3 fantastic freshman, a few special plays from a couple of leg weary warriors, and KML and Kelly continuing as the dynamic duo and this team can get done.

If they do, won't this be ONE of the most amazing and wonderful rides any team has had at UCONN. But a disappoint as a team, never ever.

Life is hard, it knocks you down, then you get up bruised and wounded, and kick its .

Reaction Score
I continue to be amazed at the number of people who want to change direction completely because we lost a game. They seem completely incapable of asking "What courses of action have allowed the team to be the most successful team over the past 15 years?" and "Because we lost a game, should we change those actions?"
Far far too many "fans" think they know better and have close to zero basis for those thoughts.
I read here how we're "playing the wrong players", "players shouldn't have to earn their time in practice", "you only learn in games", "our offensive structure is inadequate" and on and on.
How do you get to be an expert when you actually can't do?

Reaction Score
Recruiting is always a crap shoot,however,Geno always seems to find gems others miss(Dolson,Faris,Banks).The freshmen will have a years experience,and Stewart will bulk up a bit(remember how Dolson had to work on her body).Next year,another scoring machine comes into play(Chong),and with a healthy Hartley,we may see tremendous scoring all around.i agree with those who believe that the run won't be over for some years to come.

CCinCT

Poster
Reaction Score
7 TIME NATIONAL CHAMPIONS (not including 2012-3 season)
13 FINAL FOUR APPEARANCES
(not including 2012-3 season)
18 ELITE 8 APPEARANCES
20 SWEET 16 APPEARANCES (not including 2012-3 season)
18 CONFERENCE TOURNAMENT CHAMPIONS
19 CONFERENCE REGULAR SEASON CHAMPIONS
DOOMED !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (not including 2012-3 season)

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
UConn's days of old are winding down, slowly perhaps, but still heading south. Why?

1. Pariety in women's hoops (compared to the men's game) has been a rare commodity. However, there is a growing trend. . . it'll get there.

2. But the day will come soon that opposing coaches will recruit their conference when talking to the best players.

3. UConn will not always have Geno.

One at a time.

1. Where is any parity in wcbb? Today it's Baylor, Notre Dame and UConn, then Stanford, Duke, maybe a couple others. Then the field. OK, if you grant that parity has not yet arrived, let's see some evidence to support your insight.​
2. Soon? Muffet's best pitch is that ND will play in the Catholic wcbb league for a year, then go to the ACC and hope the ACC does not get swallowed up by a combination of the (stronger for football) Big 10 and SEC. Same goes for Mulkey as her Big 12 is pressured by Big 10 and PAC-#TBD. There are only two wcbb teams that are "national" (ND and UConn) and the future of each is tied to football and the vagueries of eventual conference alignments.​
3. There is no indication that Geno is going anywhere for 5+ years. When he does leave, he will still have 2-3 years of incoming recruits. It's far too soon to worry about this. So I won't.​

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
One at a time.
2. Soon? Muffet's best pitch is that ND will play in the Catholic wcbb league for a year, then go to the ACC and hope the ACC does not get swallowed up by a combination of the (stronger for football) Big 10 and SEC. Same goes for Mulkey as her Big 12 is pressured by Big 10 and PAC-#TBD. There are only two wcbb teams that are "national" (ND and UConn) and the future of each is tied to football and the vagueries of eventual conference alignments.​
Terrific point: realignment is in its infancy.​

Reaction Score
If they do, won't this be ONE of the most amazing and wonderful rides any team has had at UCONN. But a disappoint as a team, never ever.

Life is hard, it knocks you down, then you get up bruised and wounded, and kick its .

Nicely said, Ice...it's nice when someone can put your feelings into words...

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Lord, you are an obstinate man. It is an opinion. That means if the moon was in the sky last night, it counts. It is an OPINION. I do not believe, at this point in the season, that UConn has the best freshman class. You can quote until your private parts are blue, you can give me all the "facts" you want to, you can quote all the "experts" you want to, my OPINION is that UConn doesn't have the best freshman class AT THIS POINT. Do you understand?

Until this last game, Stewart, in "big" games didn't have a clue what or where she was supposed to do on offense or defense. MoJeff, can't even get in the game for meaningful minutes and until two games ago Tuck (because of her injury) couldn't get in the game. Incidentally, I believe she will be the best of the three when all is said and done.

So, lets just leave it as a difference of opinion.
No I'm afraid you are the obstinate one. You claim ND's freshmen are better than UCONN's. But you base it on nothing. When shown statistically that that is not the case you still cling to your illusion.

Sure, you are entitled to an opinion, even if it is a dumb one.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
One of them, ND, has a highly rated PG to replace SD.
And UCONN has a higher rated PG.
Baylor still has Simms next year. Yes, they won't have BG, but with their team leader coming back they will be better than we give them credit for now. Look at what ND did this year after 4 seniors graduated because SkyDig returned. Not many thought ND would be in the mix this year.
True but Baylor also loses Hayden, Madden, Williams and Pope. That's 70% of their scoring. Simms is good but that's a lot to make up. And ND didn't lose a Griner last year.

As to UConn's loss, I believe Kelly's not being here next year will be huge. More than people think. Again, I hope I am wrong.
I'm sure it will but UCONN has some players to make up for her. UCONN will most likely have 3 college AA's on their team. And 8 McD's AA's (granted that does not always turn into college AA's, but the raw talent is there).

UCONN's gonna be good, really good next year. UCONN is good, really good this year. A probable FF team with a decent shot at a NC.

Reaction Score
No I'm afraid you are the obstinate one. You claim ND's freshmen are better than UCONN's. But you base it on nothing. When shown statistically that that is not the case you still cling to your illusion.

Sure, you are entitled to an opinion, even if it is a dumb one.

Ah, the deity on the boneyard determining which opinions will be blessed.
I will state again, until this last game, Stewart, in "big" games didn't have a clue what or where she was supposed to do on offense or defense. MoJeff, can't even get in the game for meaningful minutes and until two games ago, Tuck (because of her injury) couldn't get in the game.

While the numbers may support your position/opinion, the eyeball test not so much. If you can't acknowledge the above, then give me a reason for their lack of being on the court in the "big" games, when some of UConn's players could have obviously used a blow.

Look, the reason this has gotten legs is someone stated that UConn had the best freshman class in the country. I think, on paper, that is probably correct. However, if one considers what has transpired on court, there is doubt to that claim. This opinion obviously has struck a nerve with those that most times are blind to anything posted not spouting the party line.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
406621_445536582168459_176451841_n.jpg

My take on the season.

Reaction Score
Ah, the deity on the boneyard determining which opinions will be blessed.
I will state again, until this last game, Stewart, in "big" games didn't have a clue what or where she was supposed to do on offense or defense. MoJeff, can't even get in the game for meaningful minutes and until two games ago, Tuck (because of her injury) couldn't get in the game.

While the numbers may support your position/opinion, the eyeball test not so much. If you can't acknowledge the above, then give me a reason for their lack of being on the court in the "big" games, when some of UConn's players could have obviously used a blow.

Look, the reason this has gotten legs is someone stated that UConn had the best freshman class in the country. I think, on paper, that is probably correct. However, if one considers what has transpired on court, there is doubt to that claim. This opinion obviously has struck a nerve with those that most times are blind to anything posted not spouting the party line.

You have every right to your opinions on basketball, but you lose me when you opine that your opinions cannot be challenged...of course, that's only my opinion...

Reaction Score
You have every right to your opinions on basketball, but you lose me when you opine that your opinions cannot be challenged...of course, that's only my opinion...

It's not the challenge, it's the label. It's agree or disagree, not smart or dumb. Just my opinion.

Reaction Score
It's not the challenge, it's the label. It's agree or disagree, not smart or dumb. Just my opinion.

In a perfect world, perhaps...but an idea or an opinion can be labeled without turning it into an ad hominem attack. As a guest on this board, I would say the reaction here to posters stating negative opinions about the UCONN team are treated in a much more gentile fashion than I've seen elicited from similar posts made on other boards.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score

I spent my professional life trying to convince University students that opinions must be thought through, examined, debated, supported...i.e. question most strongly that which you believe in most strongly. Indeed, to not be satisfied with “that is my opinion”.

You and I obviously disagree on this…and, with your position, further discussion is not needed or even possible, since you think what you think, and that is it.

Reaction Score
I spent my professional life trying to convince University students that opinions must be thought through, examined, debated, supported...i.e. question most strongly that which you believe in most strongly. Indeed, to not be satisfied with “that is my opinion”.

You and I obviously disagree on this…and, with your position, further discussion is not needed or even possible, since you think what you think, and that is it.

I agree with you. You see what you see and I see what I see. I also agree with your negative/positive comment above.

BTW, what university did you teach at and in what discipline?

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
I agree with you. You see what you see and I see what I see. I also agree with your negative/positive comment above.

BTW, what university did you teach at and in what discipline?

Psychology/Neuroscience.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I agree with you. You see what you see and I see what I see.

That is not even close to what he was saying. He was just trying to be nice.

"You and I obviously disagree on this…and, with your position, further discussion is not needed or even possible, since you think what you think, and that is it."

In other words, he won't debate this with you because you are not open to other's opinion.

Reaction Score
That is not even close to what he was saying. He was just trying to be nice.

"You and I obviously disagree on this…and, with your position, further discussion is not needed or even possible, since you think what you think, and that is it."

In other words, he won't debate this with you because you are not open to other's opinion.

Really? Gosh, thanks for pointing that out. Did not realize I didn't appreciate other opinions.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Really? Gosh, thanks for pointing that out. Did not realize I didn't appreciate other opinions.
Sarcasm aside, it was Ozzie that made the statement you didn't understand. Not me. I was just translating for you.

Say, what is the name of that highly ranked ND point guard that will seemlessly replace Diggins and be better than Jefferson next season? No fair looking it up.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
But it is a dumb opinion. Not backed up by anything, but...you're opinion. In fact it is pretty much refuted by statistical evidence. As has been shown you.

But hey, that's just.....my opinion.

For instance I may have an opinion that the sun is not very warm. However pretty much all evidence is to the contrary. Hence, that would be a pretty dumb opinion.

Just because it's an opinion doesn't make it a smart one.

Reaction Score
Sarcasm aside, it was Ozzie that made the statement you didn't understand. Not me. I was just translating for you.

Say, what is the name of that highly ranked ND point guard that will seemlessly replace Diggins and be better than Jefferson next season? No fair looking it up.

Well, again, I can only thank you for assuming I did not understand Ozzie's statement and translating it for me.

As to a "seamless" (I think this is how the word is spelled, but I am sure someone will correct me if I am mistaken) replacement, I don't recall anyone saying that. Also, don't recall anyone saying that Lloyd will be better than Jefferson next year. I was under the impression everyone was talking about the freshman classes of this year. You should have assumed I didn't know all this and translated it for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom