Worried? | The Boneyard

Worried?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Just asking a question being a DIEHARD Uconn fan. We all know the Vols had one of the best womens basketball runs. Then we took that thrown from them and ran with it since 1995. My question is do you think our great run is over? Yes we won the Ship in 2010 but for the past couple years we havent been even close to the most dominant team out there like years past. Baylor is much better then us. Notre Dame might not be better on paper but on the court they just find a way to win. I have faith in Geno but worried we might be going down the same path as the Hated Vols. I would love for Doty, and Faris to end with another championship but not confident at all this year like I was in years past. Also why is it Geno barely ever recruits a full class of girls? He always leaves atleast 1 or 2 schollies open? I say use them because if the player doesnt pan out you dont have to renew there contract. Alot of teams out there are loaded with depth. Look at how deep Notre Dame goes. GO HUSKIES. #bleedblue

Reaction Score
How deep ND goes? They only played 8 players same as UCONN did so where is their depth?

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Just asking a question being a DIEHARD Uconn fan. We all know the Vols had one of the best womens basketball runs. Then we took that thrown from them and ran with it since 1995. My question is do you think our great run is over? Yes we won the Ship in 2010 but for the past couple years we havent been even close to the most dominant team out there like years past.
We've been to the FF the last 2 years. And are a favorite to make it there again this year. I think we have a better chance of winning it all this year than last year. That's a great run over??? What ever did you think in 2005-2007 when UCONN finished 25-8 (Sweet 16), 32-5 (Elite Eight), 32-4 (Elite Eight)?

Baylor is much better then us.
Well 6 points better. Don't know if I would characterize it as "much better".

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
Not worried. There was the interregnum in the mid-oughts and we made it through that just fine.

Reaction Score
I agree with meyers. UConn is not in decline. They are always competitve and will continue to be so as long as Geno is there. Recruiting seems to go in cycles and you can't always get the kids you want. I think it's more fun to see a kid that is not highly ranked to blossom under the coaching available at UConn.
The small recruiting classes, I think, are not always due to a lack of offers. Sometimes he just can't get the players he wanted.

Reaction Score
Just asking a question being a DIEHARD Uconn fan. We all know the Vols had one of the best womens basketball runs. Then we took that thrown from them and ran with it since 1995. My question is do you think our great run is over? Yes we won the Ship in 2010 but for the past couple years we havent been even close to the most dominant team out there like years past. Baylor is much better then us. Notre Dame might not be better on paper but on the court they just find a way to win. I have faith in Geno but worried we might be going down the same path as the Hated Vols. I would love for Doty, and Faris to end with another championship but not confident at all this year like I was in years past. Also why is it Geno barely ever recruits a full class of girls? He always leaves atleast 1 or 2 schollies open? I say use them because if the player doesnt pan out you dont have to renew there contract. Alot of teams out there are loaded with depth. Look at how deep Notre Dame goes. GO HUSKIES. #bleedblue
No I do not believe that we need to give up the throne. We have an excellent team... but personally I think we are a little thin, even though everyone talks about our depth. Personally I love the teams that have 13-14 players. Three recruits per year would be ideal. Next year without Griner Baylor will not be as unbeatable as it is now. Next year without Diggins, ND will still be a great team, but Skylar deserves some credit, as she has been a great actress who knows how to get herself to the line. But ND will be weaker next year. UCONN will lose Faris and Doty as major role players. Doty has been limited. If Stewart, Tuck, and Jefferson show improves and if Brianna can come back... UCONN will be in great shape next season. Chong will be a great addition. I just hope the 2014 recruiting class starts to pick up.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I do not think ND misses a beat next year with Jewel Loyd taking over Diggins responsibilities at guard.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
I think some folks fail to acknowledge how hard it is to recruit behind a powerful class or two. It's very easy (relatively) to recruit a kid if that kid can see themselves starting or playing a significant amount of time as a freshman/soph. When you've got a class of Stewart/Tuck/Jefferson, and in front of that class KML/Banks/Stokes, it's very easy for other schools to look a recruit in the eye and say "which one of those girls are you going to beat out for playing time? You won't get to play until your Junior year, if you're lucky!"

And, it may not be another school that says that - it can be a teammate, relative, friend, or even a high school kids' own self-doubt. With the explosion of interest and participatin in girls' BB, we also have an explosion of expectation. Very few kids out there who are very good, are saying to themselves "Gosh! Can't wait to be the ninth or tenth player in rotation for the next two years or more!" They want to play. Their friends, family, and fans expect them to play. So, when an opportunity arises at a perfectly good, top-10 or top-20, up-and-coming program, and it looks like they need you, and need you now..well, that's tough to pass up. Particularly if the overall experience looks like it won't be quite as demanding or humbling.

And, that's assuming that UConn thinks you'd fit in at Storrs.

Reaction Score
Dominance (dynasties?) are time-limited. UConn's days of old are winding down, slowly perhaps, but still heading south. Why?

1. Pariety in women's hoops (compared to the men's game) has been a rare commodity. However, there is a growing trend. . . it'll get there.

2. The conference mess that's effected (or will effect) the football program and the men's hoop program will eventually create a problem for the women's team. They just are positioned right now to better weather the storm. But the day will come soon that opposing coaches will recruit their conference when talking to the best players.

3. UConn will not always have Geno. While his X's and O's can be questioned at times, he is an outstanding recruiter. Maybe the best ever in the women's game. Geno is a charmer and lady high school hoopsters have flocked to his pitch over the years. We'll see what effect that has on the number of highly ranked players UConn is able to land when that is no longer the situation.

Reaction Score
Let's not forget that we had two outstanding players transfer. I think we could very will have won the last two National Championships if Elena Delle Donne and Samarie Walker had not left the program. With Elena it was a personal thing and last year would have been her last season if she had stayed at Uconn. With Samarie it may have been playing time or she may have clashed with Geno. But the problem is definitely not recruiting. This year's incoming freshman class was easily the best in the nation. Before we hand the crown to Baylor, let's see how they do next year without Griner.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I do not think ND misses a beat next year with Jewel Loyd taking over Diggins responsibilities at guard.

Disagree. No way Loyd can make up for Diggins. Certainly not her leadership and the confidence Diggins has given the team.

I won't underestimate them, but to say they won't miss a beat is not something I agree with.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
With Samarie it may have been playing time or she may have clashed with Geno.

Basically it was neither of those two things. It also was a personal thing.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
IMHO the recruiting class of 2014 will go a long way in determining if UConn will continue to be one of the favorites to get to the Final Four after next year. Can't afford to have a signing class of one player and need to get players capable of being dominant post player and quality guards

Kelly will be a big loss next year, but with the expected improvement of play by Bria and the freshmen, Geno should be able to over come her loss. IMHO the issues next year, will be team depth and will Brianna Banks be able to play at the level she was prior to her injury. Duke & UConn will be most experts picks to get to the Final Four at the start of the year. While many of the experts won't pick ND because of Skylar graduating, I wouldn't be surprised to see ND in the Final Four next year. Depending on how far the Lady Vols go in this years tournament will determine if the experts have them one of the early season favorites to get to the Final Four.

Unless Kiah shows remarkable improvement next year, if I'm Geno, I'm not comfortable with her as my starting center in 2014/2015. Although Breanna is 6'4", I don't see her ever becoming the starting center as she is more along the lines of Ann Strother and she will probably fill that role while at UConn. That's my reasoning for Geno to sign a dominant post player in 2014. Obviously can't have enough quality guards.

Reaction Score
Welcome to the "Men's game". Not too many years ago, UConn women had something like 4 of the top ten players in the country that recruiting year. Those numbers are hard to come by for even the Kentucky's, Duke's and UNC's for the men's game. UConn men - as big time a national program as they are - never have come close to pulling that off. Sometimes a Top 10'er and another in the Top 25. Sometimes one in the Top 50. Girls game has been different - up til now.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Disagree. No way Loyd can make up for Diggins. Certainly not her leadership and the confidence Diggins has given the team.

I won't underestimate them, but to say they won't miss a beat is not something I agree with.
I didn't say she would be the same. I said they wouldn't miss a beat. Loyd has been a really solid guard for them this year and next year she will be better.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I didn't say she would be the same. I said they wouldn't miss a beat. Loyd has been a really solid guard for them this year and next year she will be better.

??? what is the difference between "being the same" and "not missing a beat"???

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
??? what is the difference between "being the same" and "not missing a beat"???
One means being identical the other means being capable of being as successful although different in nature or structure.

McBride, Achonwa, Braker, and Loyd all return. They return players playing 196 of the 275 minutes against UConn. Diggins played 55 and Turner 26, they are the only Srs.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
One means being identical the other means being capable of being as successful although different in nature or structure.

McBride, Achonwa, Braker, and Loyd all return. They return players playing 196 of the 275 minutes against UConn. Diggins played 55 and Turner 26, they are the only Srs.

When I say "same" I meant results. I believe by "being as successful" you mean the same thing.

And in that regard, there is no way they will be capable of being as successful. I think that Diggins carried this team, emotionally, physically and with her leadership. I underestimated that coming into this season. Why would we underestimate her absence?

They will be good. But not as successful. Heck, they have lost only one game. I'll bet you now they have more loses at this time next year.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
When I say "same" I meant results. I believe by "being as successful" you mean the same thing.

And in that regard, there is no way they will be capable of being as successful. I think that Diggins carried this team, emotionally, physically and with her leadership. I underestimated that coming into this season. Why would we underestimate her absence?

They will be good. But not as successful. Heck, they have lost only one game. I'll bet you now they have more loses at this time next year.
On that we simply disagree. Those who assume that ND will not be as strong do so at their own risk. They may well have more than 1 loss, just like we do this year, I still expect them to be a FF team.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Welcome to the "Men's game". Not too many years ago, UConn women had something like 4 of the top ten players in the country that recruiting year. Those numbers are hard to come by for even the Kentucky's, Duke's and UNC's for the men's game. UConn men - as big time a national program as they are - never have come close to pulling that off. Sometimes a Top 10'er and another in the Top 25. Sometimes one in the Top 50. Girls game has been different - up til now.

It's NOT the mens game.

Just last year, Uconn had the 1,2 and 6 ranked players. And watch 2014. They already have 7. There will be more top 10 commits.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
On that we simply disagree. Those who assume that ND will not be as strong do so at their own risk. They may well have more than 1 loss, just like we do this year, I still expect them to be a FF team.

Uconn after DT graduated. Think along those lines. 3 years of sweet sixteen, EE and EE. That seem much more likely to me.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Not even close.
I didn't say same. I was listing what UConn did those 3 years after DT.

Next year, with McBride and Anchonwa as seniors, they have an outside shot at the Final Four. Probably better than sweet sixteen. But after that? I need to see a lot more in recruiting and how those players end up. I don't see an AA.

CCinCT

Poster
Reaction Score

No way that Loyd will get the "star" treatment from the refs. After all, she is not noted as a "twitter princess" is she ?

Reaction Score
This year's incoming freshman class was easily the best in the nation.

Sorry to disagree, but UConn's freshman class wasn't close to being the best ON THE COURT. The latest example of who is better was Monday night. More than once this season people have stated that based on performance, UConn's class is not "the best". One of the best perhaps, time will tell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom