Worried? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Worried?

Status
Not open for further replies.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Ah, the deity on the boneyard determining which opinions will be blessed.
Nah, I believe that is ice

I will state again, until this last game, Stewart, in "big" games didn't have a clue what or where she was supposed to do on offense or defense. MoJeff, can't even get in the game for meaningful minutes and until two games ago, Tuck (because of her injury) couldn't get in the game.
And yet they still contributed more than ND's freshmen.

While the numbers may support your position/opinion, the eyeball test not so much. If you can't acknowledge the above, then give me a reason for their lack of being on the court in the "big" games, when some of UConn's players could have obviously used a blow.
Well you got that right, the number do support our position. And the eyeball test does too. And they were on the court more than the ND freshmen.

Look, the reason this has gotten legs is someone stated that UConn had the best freshman class in the country. I think, on paper, that is probably correct. However, if one considers what has transpired on court, there is doubt to that claim. This opinion obviously has struck a nerve with those that most times are blind to anything posted not spouting the party line.
If you can come up with a freshmen class better, we'd be glad to listen. But as yet you have not.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Well, again, I can only thank you for assuming I did not understand Ozzie's statement and translating it for me.

As to a "seamless" (I think this is how the word is spelled, but I am sure someone will correct me if I am mistaken) replacement, I don't recall anyone saying that. Also, don't recall anyone saying that Lloyd will be better than Jefferson next year. I was under the impression everyone was talking about the freshman classes of this year. You should have assumed I didn't know all this and translated it for me.

Wow, correcting my spelling mistake. Always the sign of the losing side of an argument. Note, that I didn't make fun of your "That would be next season, 2114, right? " statement.

My bad, you didn't say that PG would be better than Jefferson. But you did say "One of them, ND, has a highly rated PG to replace SD."

Did you mean Loyd? Because she is not a point guard. With her assist to turnover ratio ND would be in big trouble. But that is just stats. I know you don't believe in them.

If you didn't mean Loyd, who did you mean?

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
Stewart, in "big" games didn't have a clue what or where she was supposed to do on offense or defense.

In 10 games against teams ranked 15 or higher by one poll or the other, Stewie has averaged 9.4 ppg, 5.4 ppg, and 1.0 apg. Not jaw-dropping numbers but not bad. For the sake of comparison, a highly respected player has posted in those same games: 11.6, 6.3, and 4.8, which are better but not THAT much better (except for assists, obviously).

The perception of her might be colored by how she played in the last two big games, Baylor and ND.

Reaction Score
And what will it look like down the road? UConn will get some top-notch recruits, but despite Geno's statements (what's he going to say, after all?), its presence in The League With No Name will hurt his chances to consistently bring in the best. I doubt there will be any more UConn classes like the Fab Five combo of a few years ago.
Yes - we all know that the non-conference ND football team has really been pathetic ever since they haven't been a member of any conference.
We're doomed.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Yes - we all know that the non-conference ND football team has really been pathetic ever since they haven't been a member of any conference.
We're doomed.
Well you are talking apples and well not even oranges, more like mushrooms with ND football and UCONN WBB.

And ND FB has had pretty bad run over the past 15 years or so.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
In 10 games against teams ranked 15 or higher by one poll or the other, Stewie has averaged 9.4 ppg, 5.4 ppg, and 1.0 apg. Not jaw-dropping numbers but not bad. For the sake of comparison, a highly respected player has posted in those same games: 11.6, 6.3, and 4.8, which are better but not THAT much better (except for assists, obviously).

The perception of her might be colored by how she played in the last two big games, Baylor and ND.

I think this posters perception is also colored by the one big game that Loyd had against Baylor.

D

dakotaboy

Just asking a question being a DIEHARD Uconn fan. We all know the Vols had one of the best womens basketball runs. Then we took that thrown from them and ran with it since 1995.

Sorry Buffett10 :) I think we made a splash in 1995, but we didn't take over the throne until 1999. The vols won three consecutive Championships in 1996, 1997 and 1998 (the Holdsclaw run). I don't believe it will die down. Everyone is panicking because we only have one recruit for 2013, but nobody panicked when we only had Kelly Farris as the lone recruit . We will bounce back. I'm sure of it :)

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
ND - Loyd freshman of the year. Mabrey, Huffman not on the all-freshman team.

UConn - Stewart, Jefferson, on the all-freshman team. Tuck not there but could have been.

So, which team has the better freshman class? I don't even think it's close.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score

UConn - Stewart, Jefferson, on the all-freshman team. Tuck not there but could have been.

Case closed.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score

Mabrey and Huffman will be benchwarmers for the duration at ND.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I think that UCONN has the only fan base that expects to have a national championship contender every year, and with good reason. Most other universities, including Baylor, accept the notion that some years they may be title contenders and other years they won't. I don't expect Baylor to contend for a title next season, but I do expect them to contend the next year or year after. And I am fine with that.

UCONN's program is on a very different level than any other at the moment when it comes to title expectations. I doubt that it will always stay that way but for now it is. What a tremendous problem to have when you worry about being the national champion every season.

Reaction Score
How many players are on all freshman teams? If they are five player teams and Jefferson made it, there were some serious snubs.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
How many players are on all freshman teams? If they are five player teams and Jefferson made it, there were some serious snubs.

Moriah Jefferson, UConn, G
x-Breanna Stewart, UConn, F
Chanise Jenkins, DePaul, G
Brooklyn Pumroy, Marquette, G
x-Jewell Loyd, Notre Dame, G
x-Aliyyah Handford, St. John’s, G
Kahleah Copper, Rutgers, G
Brianna Butler, Syracuse, G
x-Brittney Sykes, Syracuse, G
Alisia Jenkins, South Florida, F

Who would you put on instead of Jefferson?

Reaction Score
Oh, please. To compare UConn women's basketball to the money machine that is ND football is ridiculous. ND football can pick their 10 or 11 opponents annually because there are lots of them to go around. If you'd been paying attention, you would have heard Geno himself admit it would be extremely difficult for UConn or any other team fill out a year's schedule as an independent. And think about all the discussion that have occurred on this board -- perhaps you were not here for them -- about the fact that there are wonderful teams out there that simply won't play UConn because of their own league commitments and inability to come to an agreement on the home and home series details.

I absolutely love the tendency of some BYers, this one among them, to dismiss every negative analysis, whether well reasoned or idiotic as "we're doomed." Well no, we are not doomed. I don't know about you, but I'll still be here whether UConn ever plays another game or not. UConn most likely wil have a top 10 team for the foreseeable future. That does not, however, mean it will have the success it has had in the past and the success that I dare say many if not most BYers are accustomed to.

Reaction Score
Moriah Jefferson, UConn, G
x-Breanna Stewart, UConn, F
Chanise Jenkins, DePaul, G
Brooklyn Pumroy, Marquette, G
x-Jewell Loyd, Notre Dame, G
x-Aliyyah Handford, St. John’s, G
Kahleah Copper, Rutgers, G
Brianna Butler, Syracuse, G
x-Brittney Sykes, Syracuse, G
Alisia Jenkins, South Florida, F

Who would you put on instead of Jefferson?
I wouldn't take anyone off of this list. I thought that the all conference teams were only 5 players, not 10.

Reaction Score
OK - so how many points do Sagarin or Massey or any of the other rating services give for conference affiliation?
How many kids go to any particular school because of a conference? The best players what to go to the schools with the best coaches. And honestly, out of the 39/40 games a year, how many of those are in conference against the best.
It seems to me that other than ND, UCONN (WCBB) was able to schedule most of the rest of the top 10 teams - all of them OUT OF CONFERENCE.
I'm not suggesting it doesn't change the dynamics of the situation, I'm only suggesting NONE of UCONN's great run is over simply because we're in the TBD conference. UCONN still has Geno, UCONN still has CD, UCONN still hase all of the banners on the wall, UCONN still has all of the former players in the WNBA.
I think many are fretting about conference affiliation simply because they choose to see failure.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Oh, please. To compare UConn women's basketball to the money machine that is ND football is ridiculous. ND football can pick their 10 or 11 opponents annually because there are lots of them to go around. If you'd been paying attention, you would have heard Geno himself admit it would be extremely difficult for UConn or any other team fill out a year's schedule as an independent. And think about all the discussion that have occurred on this board -- perhaps you were not here for them -- about the fact that there are wonderful teams out there that simply won't play UConn because of their own league commitments and inability to come to an agreement on the home and home series details.

I absolutely love the tendency of some BYers, this one among them, to dismiss every negative analysis, whether well reasoned or idiotic as "we're doomed." Well no, we are not doomed. I don't know about you, but I'll still be here whether UConn ever plays another game or not. UConn most likely wil have a top 10 team for the foreseeable future. That does not, however, mean it will have the success it has had in the past and the success that I dare say many if not most BYers are accustomed to.

I don't think the comparison is about how much money the programs make, but the comparison of ND football to other football programs and UConn women's basketball to other women's basketball teams.

And Uconn won't be an indepenent team. At worse, they will be part of a crappy conference, which will fill 12-16 games. And Uconn will have NO trouble filling the best OOC schedule to help bring their overall SOS towards the top of WCBB. Only the most negative posters would think that this conference situation will end up with UConn not having an affiliation. You sure do fit the bill.

You mention the tendency of some boneyarders to dismiss every negative analysis. That would be most of your posts. I took a walk down memory lane and you are one of the most miserable posters on this board. Everything that can go wrong with UConn, you seem to believe it will happen.

According to you, UConn will be in a conference with no name (America 12 is the probable name), that North Carolina is the new power in recruiting (after one class), Uconn got it's clock cleaned in 2013 class (but had the best class in 2012), that damage has been already done to UConn women due to the conference situation, and that the new reality could make UConn as irrelevant as La Tech.

"I absolutely love the tendency of some BYers, this one among them, to dismiss every negative analysis, whether well reasoned or idiotic as "we're doomed.""

Well, your negative analysis falls into the "idiotic" category. Most likely will have a top 10 team? How big of you to think that. TOP TEN?? UConn is just as likely, even more likely, to join a major conference over the next year or two than to be independent. And UConn will continue to be a top 3 program for at least the next 3 years, and depending on the 2014 class (which already has the #7 recruit and likely #10) They will be in the top 3 for several years more.

According to you, we are doomed. Not even close.

Reaction Score
There is absolutely nothing in the world more pleasant than waking up on a Sunday morning to find that someone has called you an idiot. It is perhaps this kind of personal attack that has caused some people to leave the Board. But I digress.

In replying to the OP, at no time did I suggest that I personally believed that UConn would be going it alone as an independent. The OP raised the premise that UConn should be compared to ND's football team, which I'm sure you'll admit that even an idiot would know is an independent. In responding to him or her, I simply accepted the premise and answered it. If I had done something else, I would have been comparing apples and oranges. In fact, I do not believe that UConn would ever go independent, or ever be put in a position of having to do so. You're right: What is likely to happen is that it will be in the Leftover League, at least for a while until the other leagues iron out their situations, and will then be in a better league, perhaps the ACC. I actually think that's the best that can be hoped for at this point, and it is, IMHO, likely to happen. I do not see how that makes me miserable or pessimistic or a doomsayer, but you are, of course, entitled to your opinion, as I presume I am. But as this mess (and I don't see how even you can call it anything else) has developed, virtually everything that in the past I've thought and written might happen as a worst-case scenario has, in fact, happened. But as pessimistic as I was, even I did not figure the leftovers would abandoned by the Catholic 7 and would opt to take the millions instead of retaining the Big East brand. I don't think anyone would have thought that possible, never mind likely.

America 12. Great. Sounds like a sailboat.

Here, IMHO, is how women's basketball looks to me right now. There are 4 or 5 top teams at the top and another half-dozen (yes, including NC) scrambling to move up. There is a tad more parity, but still nothing like what's seen in the men's game. Of the top 4 or 5, there is UConn, with a great and deserved reputation but playing in a weakened league. There s Baylor, which will lose Griner but which I believe will field Top 10 or better teams for the next decade. There is Stanford, which operates in its own sphere. Out West where I live, Stanford is compared favorably to Harvard. Whether or not that's accurate, if a player can get into Stanford, she probably will go there. That gives Stanford a huge leg up. There is Duke, which many think of in the same sort of way. And then there's Notre Dame and whether we like it or not, they will continue to field very good teams coached by a top-notch talent. After them come the Kentuckys and Cals of the world.

You know how competitive recruiting is. You don't think those others aren't using UConn's league situation against it? All I'm suggesting is that some of that may be working. All I'm suggesting is this is an interesting time for UConn to had to settle for a one-player class coming in and, as good as that one player seems to be, the team is incredibly vulnerable next year because of the numbers. All it'll take is for Banks to not come back quickly from her surgery and for one other player -- pick one, any one -- to go down for even a couple of weeks with an illness or injury. If that happens at the wrong time in the season, it will not be pretty. I'm not wishing that to happen and I am certainly not predicting it. What I am saying is that if you or anyone else wants to take a realistic look at the team's immediate future, you have to allow for the possibility that these things might happen. And when you start thinking about that, you wonder what might have caused that situation, which leads me, at least, to a consideration of the comparative recruiting situation.

As for North Carolina being the new power, what I said, and have said in the past, is that I believe a trend is developing away from UConn and that North Carolina's phenomenal success is the last couple of years is an example of it.

Actually, in one sense, you are perhaps more pessimistic than I am. You suggest that UConn's chances of getting into a major conference such as the
ACC are about the same as or better than its chances of going independent. Since, as I said above, I believe that UConn definitely will not go independent, and that eventually it will join a major conference, I actually believe UConn's outlook is easily as good as you do.

Despite what you accured me of, are we doomed? No, as I suggested in my post. No team with UConn's proud history and Geno's skill is doomed. But while we wait for the league situation to reslve itself, while UConn is in weakened league and scrambles to find its way into a better league, other teams will have a competitive advantage in recruiting. Short - to middle-term, that could seriously hurt the team's chances over the next 5-10 years. Which is all I ever said in the first place.

I don't think the comparison is about how much money the programs make, but the comparison of ND football to other football programs and UConn women's basketball to other women's basketball teams.

And Uconn won't be an independent team. At worse, they will be part of a crappy conference, which will fill 12-16 games. And Uconn will have NO trouble filling the best OOC schedule to help bring their overall SOS towards the top of WCBB. Only the most negative posters would think that this conference situation will end up with UConn not having an affiliation. You sure do fit the bill.

You mention the tendency of some boneyarders to dismiss every negative analysis. That would be most of your posts. I took a walk down memory lane and you are one of the most miserable posters on this board. Everything that can go wrong with UConn, you seem to believe it will happen.

According to you, UConn will be in a conference with no name (America 12 is the probable name), that North Carolina is the new power in recruiting (after one class), Uconn got it's clock cleaned in 2013 class (but had the best class in 2012), that damage has been already done to UConn women due to the conference situation, and that the new reality could make UConn as irrelevant as La Tech.

"I absolutely love the tendency of some BYers, this one among them, to dismiss every negative analysis, whether well reasoned or idiotic as "we're doomed.""

Well, your negative analysis falls into the "idiotic" category. Most likely will have a top 10 team? How big of you to think that. TOP TEN?? UConn is just as likely, even more likely, to join a major conference over the next year or two than to be independent. And UConn will continue to be a top 3 program for at least the next 3 years, and depending on the 2014 class (which already has the #7 recruit and likely #10) They will be in the top 3 for several years more.

According to you, we are doomed. Not even close.

Reaction Score
You know how competitive recruiting is. You don't think those others aren't using UConn's league situation against it? All I'm suggesting is that some of that may be working. ........., other teams will have a competitive advantage in recruiting. Short - to middle-term, that could seriously hurt the team's chances over the next 5-10 years.
And your evidence for this is ??? Do you have any real evidence that UCONN (or any other school) has lost any recruit because of the conference situation?
If a top level recruit can't see that playing for the team with the strongest SOS is better than playing for the one in the "power conference", then I'm going to suggest that kid wasn't smart enough to play for Geno anyway.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
There is absolutely nothing in the world more pleasant than waking up on a Sunday morning to find that someone has called you an idiot. It is perhaps this kind of personal attack that has caused some people to leave the Board. But I digress.

Here, IMHO, is how women's basketball looks to me right now. There are 4 or 5 top teams at the top and another half-dozen (yes, including NC) scrambling to move up. There is a tad more parity, but still nothing like what's seen in the men's game. Of the top 4 or 5, there is UConn, with a great and deserved reputation but playing in a weakened league. There s Baylor, which will lose Griner but which I believe will field Top 10 or better teams for the next decade. There is Stanford, which operates in its own sphere. Out West where I live, Stanford is compared favorably to Harvard. Whether or not that's accurate, if a player can get into Stanford, she probably will go there. That gives Stanford a huge leg up. There is Duke, which many think of in the same sort of way. And then there's Notre Dame and whether we like it or not, they will continue to field very good teams coached by a top-notch talent. After them come the Kentuckys and Cals of the world.

As for North Carolina being the new power, what I said, and have said in the past, is that I believe a trend is developing away from UConn and that North Carolina's phenomenal success is the last couple of years is an example of it.

You said some negative posts were idiotic. I was just categorizing yoursI absolutely love the tendency of some BYers, this one among them, to dismiss every negative analysis, whether well reasoned or idiotic as "we're doomed." as one of them. I didn't call you an idiot. Can you please let me know what posters left because of my posts? I will apologize. I would never want anyone to leave because of me.

The Baylor situation is nothing like ND last year. Baylor is losing 4 starters including the only real game changer in WCBB along with their best player off the bench. No Achonwa and McBride. Mulkey has some work to do to get a top 10 team again. Not that she isn't capable, but Baylors future looks a lot tougher than UConns and you basically said the same thing about them, a top ten team in the forseable future. It's really not close at this time. Sims a really good, but after looking at next years roster and recruiting class, I'm not sure Prince and the rest of the 2013-14 team will be close to top ten. I thought they would be better but I'm changing my mind.

There is more talent but Uconn will still get it's share of top talent. I don't see anything changing for Uconn as long as Geno is there. Until Duke, UNC and any other pretender can shoe they can beat UConn, like ND has, I don't see what the issues are. Uconn will be top 1,2 or 3.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Doggy
To go back and look up historical posts is a new low.
Some of your predictions of late have a bit off, no one (to my knowledge) goes back and holds them up to scorn.
Not everybody sees the sunny side of the street every day. Leave it at that.
And by the way...I loved the game today and the op that the kids were finally given, didn't you?

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Doggy
To go back and look up historical posts is a new low.
Some of your predictions of late have a bit off, no one (to my knowledge) goes back and holds them up to scorn.
Not everybody sees the sunny side of the street every day. Leave it at that.
And by the way...I loved the game today and the op that the kids were finally given, didn't you?

Really? What was my old low?

I'm not talking about predictions. And I put them out there readily. I don't mind being shown I was wrong.

I'm talking about someone that every post is negative. It's what I remembered and I just verified it by looking at a few posts.

Of course I liked todays game. And the kids weren't given opportunities, they earned them. I see you still don't get it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom