World Series Thread | Page 4 | The Boneyard

World Series Thread

Reaction Score
It is mainly only called when there is a situation like last night where it effects the outcome of the play. Bottom line, the way the rule is written, the baserunner has to know where he is and get the lane on a ball up the line like that. Mainly on plays where the pitcher or catcher field the ball.

Some guys, like Brett Gardner, are very good at getting to the outside lane. I guarantee that ump doesn't make that call if the runner was closer/inside to the running lane. If the Nationals were honest with themselves, they know the rule was correct, they were upset that it was enforced on that crucial play.

I have played a lot of baseball in my 41 years, and still play in multiple adult wood bat leagues and tournaments. Calls like this suck when enforced to the letter.
Turner did know where he was he ran straight through the bag, the pitcher made a terrible throw. Torre's explanation makes zero sense, players should no longer run straight through the bag anymore I guess.

Gardner bats lefty, Tuner bats righty. Gardner still always runs straight through the bag like Turner did.

Reaction Score
I'm not going to argue with anyone on this. Please go read the rule book on this. See how you interpret it. End of the day it's a judgment call by the ump. I personally think he should have not made the call. But I understand it.

I’ve read the rule as well, but it doesn’t apply once the runner has reached the base already. If you look online you’ll see pictures of Turner’s foot already on the bag before the ball got to the 1st baseman’s glove. The 1st baseman’s glove hit Turner’s left shoulder AFTER Turner’s foot was in the bag. If you’re arguing the call is correct then you’re saying in essence that Turner has no right to step on 1st base and he should have moved to allow the 1st baseman’s a chance to catch the ball. Turner was safe either way you slice it, the throw was late and got there after he was on the bag, so you simply can’t call interference on that play.

Reaction Score
imo, according the the way the rule is written, you need to run down outside the foul line ...then how do you touch the base? The base is in fair territory..so you are supposed to stretch left while running alongside the base....EVERYONE runs down the stripe. Hurleyman's explanation couldn't be any clearer..

And I have no idea why the lead runner isn't on second base...

I don't have a dog in this fight, but would rather see the Nats win....but it would have been a lot more fun if the Stros won 4-3...now it becomes a footnote

Reaction Score
As a righty hitter on a chopper you're trying to beat out, no matter what you do you are going to start running in fair territory. He took a straight line and then ran through the bag with his left foot going straight through the bag and his right foot landing in foul territory. The idea that a righty hitter on a chopper is going to run a circuitous route to first base and run through the bag with his whole body in foul territory is absurd. That's why if you are going to call this you would have to call every single righty batter out who is trying to beat out a chopper or dribbler to first.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
As a righty hitter on a chopper you're trying to beat out, no matter what you do you are going to start running in fair territory. He took a straight line and then ran through the bag with his left foot going straight through the bag and his right foot landing in foul territory. The idea that a righty hitter on a chopper is going to run a circuitous route to first base and run through the bag with his whole body in foul territory is absurd. That's why if you are going to call this you would have to call every single righty batter out who is trying to beat out a chopper or dribbler to first.

1) he did not run in a straight line, otherwise he wouldn’t have been running on the infield grass.

2) you’re not automatically out for running in fair territory, there has to be an interference of the fielding as well...such as knocking their glove

Reaction Score
1) he did not run in a straight line, otherwise he wouldn’t have been running on the infield grass.

2) you’re not automatically out for running in fair territory, there has to be an interference of the fielding as well...such as knocking their glove
He didn't knock the glove, he ran straight through the bag and the throw was terrible bringing Gurriel to reach across Turner's body and hit his body as Turner tan through the bag as every player does.

How are you not understanding that every single righty batter always is always running in fair territory when they leave the batter's box?

the Q

Reaction Score
He didn't knock the glove, he ran straight through the bag and the throw was terrible bringing Gurriel to reach across Turner's body and hit his body as Turner tan through the bag as every player does.

How are you not understanding that every single righty batter always is always running in fair territory when they leave the batter's box?

That would be why the rule says the second half of the baseline.

and again, he doesn’t run straight. He goes form the dirt to the infield grass, back to the dirt. Never getting both feet on the foul line or further over to the right like the rule requires.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
The best words in all of sports...

Anything can happen.

If you don’t include “just when people say you can’t, you can, and UConn has won the national championship,” then yes.

Reaction Score
That would be why the rule says the second half of the baseline.

and again, he doesn’t run straight. He goes form the dirt to the infield grass, back to the dirt. Never getting both feet on the foul line or further over to the right like the rule requires.
You still don't seem to get it.

His swing takes him into fair territory...when running in fair territory out of the box you're on dirt, that dirt turns into grass. nearing the end of the run he turns slightly inside to run through the bag like every player does. He's a righty hitting speedster, he ran the fastest way to first...You seem to be under the impression righty hitters trying to beat out infield hits turn their bodies and get both feet on the baseline or outside of the baseline into foul territory or they wait until they're 45 feet down the line and then run outside the line in foul territory where they would have to turn back into fair territory to run through tge bag...it's absurd, it doesn't happen. No righty batter gets both feet on the foul line or further over into fair territory on an infield hit.

Ump made the call because Gurriel had bad positioning and he made contact with Turner when he reached across to field a bad throw. Turner did nothing wrong, he ran through the bag like every player does. Ump blew it and like a stooge Torre doubled down on it.

Reaction Score
Call was a joke. How should houston be rewarded for what was a bad throw by one of THEIR fielders. Comical. It was great hearing tre turner callout Joe Torre in the dugout

Reaction Score
Maybe just a no call and let it play out. Ump made himself part of the story by making a bad call.

Reaction Score
Turner did know where he was he ran straight through the bag, the pitcher made a terrible throw. Torre's explanation makes zero sense, players should no longer run straight through the bag anymore I guess.

Gardner bats lefty, Tuner bats righty. Gardner still always runs straight through the bag like Turner did.
The rule does not give exceptions to RH batters. The call according to rule book is correct. The question is was it necessary. I'm sure there will be changes made this offseason. This seems to pop up from time to time.

Reaction Score
I’ve read the rule as well, but it doesn’t apply once the runner has reached the base already. If you look online you’ll see pictures of Turner’s foot already on the bag before the ball got to the 1st baseman’s glove. The 1st baseman’s glove hit Turner’s left shoulder AFTER Turner’s foot was in the bag. If you’re arguing the call is correct then you’re saying in essence that Turner has no right to step on 1st base and he should have moved to allow the 1st baseman’s a chance to catch the ball. Turner was safe either way you slice it, the throw was late and got there after he was on the bag, so you simply can’t call interference on that play.
I completely understand what you are saying and see your point. But, by not running inside the lane, this led the umpire to make this call. It is a judgment call, I wish the umpire just let it go. I have watched and played enough baseball to know that this call can happen.

the Q

Reaction Score
What a wild last 3 innings.

hinch will be second guessed all winter.

I’m assuming Cole got up to throw and didn’t feel good.

Reaction Score
What a wild last 3 innings.

hinch will be second guessed all winter.

I’m assuming Cole got up to throw and didn’t feel good.
He got up and threw again in the 8th so I don't think that's it. Just horrible bullpen management

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
Deez Nats!!!

When they beat the Brewers in the WC game in late, come-from-behind fashion I had a feeling about them.

Last edited:

MattMang23

Reaction Score
Natssssssssss!!!!! I always knew Bryce Harper would lead the Nats to a World Series title one day!!

the Q

Reaction Score
Natssssssssss!!!!! I always knew Bryce Harper would lead the Nats to a World Series title one day!!

The Nats we’re in a beyond unique position to be able to lose a player like Harper and make it work.

and they used that money to shore up the rotation with Corbin and Sanchez.

Reaction Score
AJ Finch with some of the worst moves you will ever see in a big spot by a manger. Anyone other than Greinke-Cole up 2-0 was malpractice yet neither pitched to the key batters in the 7th-8th-9th.

Reaction Score
What an incredible team, run for the ages. Scherzer is the toughest dude in baseball, Rendon is like a buddhist monk out there, Stras has been through a lot and showed he's on on his way to the Hall....a lot of great stories. 19-31, 5 elimination games where they were down all 5 games, win everu World Series game on the road...just remarkable.

the Q

Reaction Score
AJ Finch with some of the worst moves you will ever see in a big spot by a manger. Anyone other than Greinke-Cole up 2-0 was malpractice yet neither pitched to the key batters in the 7th-8th-9th.

i get not wanting to bring in Cole mid inning.
Seemed like they didn’t want to just burn osuna for 2 outs either.

got stuck in the middle...

MattMang23

Reaction Score
The Nats we’re in a beyond unique position to be able to lose a player like Harper and make it work.

and they used that money to shore up the rotation with Corbin and Sanchez.

Yeah losing him is not nearly as big a loss when you have Soto and Robles waiting in the wings.

Psolo12

Future Doctor of Law
Reaction Score
Hinch is a hell of a manager, was put in a tough spot in the back end of this game. Couldn't score anyways so doesn't matter much, don't agree with pulling Greinke there though unless Osuna or Cole is coming in.

the Q

Reaction Score
Hinch is a hell of a manager, was put in a tough spot in the back end of this game. Couldn't score anyways so doesn't matter much, don't agree with pulling Greinke there though unless Osuna or Cole is coming in.

before everyone piles on Hinch.
Espn article says Howie Kendrick was 1 for 28 against cutters this year. No homer’s.
Will Harris made the perfect pitch. Sometimes players just make great plays.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom