World Series Thread | Page 5 | The Boneyard

World Series Thread

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
What a wild last 3 innings.

hinch will be second guessed all winter.

I’m assuming Cole got up to throw and didn’t feel good.

Hinch wasn't going to use Cole until 8th or 9th anyways and it had to be with a lead and with him starting a clean inning.

Unfortunately, by the time it got to that point of the game, it was too late.

I can't blame Hinch too much for using Harris and Osuna. Those two have been his best pen options. I'd criticize him for taking out Grienke at 80 pitches, if anything. He gave up a solo HR to a guy who will be in top 3 NL MVP votes. Not that big a deal. The walk was pitching carefully to Soto, or so it seemed to me. He didn't look gassed, but I don't know what his third time thru lineup numbers look like, so hard to even criticize that.

Regardless, you have to score more than 2 runs. Especially when you pretty much know what Corbin is going to throw.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Hinch wasn't going to use Cole until 8th or 9th anyways and it had to be with a lead and with him starting a clean inning.

Unfortunately, by the time it got to that point of the game, it was too late.

I can't blame Hinch too much for using Harris and Osuna. Those two have been his best pen options. I'd criticize him for taking out Grienke at 80 pitches, if anything. He gave up a solo HR to a guy who will be in top 3 NL MVP votes. Not that big a deal. The walk was pitching carefully to Soto, or so it seemed to me. He didn't look gassed, but I don't know what his third time thru lineup numbers look like, so hard to even criticize that.

Regardless, you have to score more than 2 runs. Especially when you pretty much know what Corbin is going to throw.

yeah and they racked Corbin in game 4.

sometimes the other team just has a better day.

the Kendrick hr was a great pitch and eatons single wasn’t even a strike

Reaction Score
i get not wanting to bring in Cole mid inning.
Seemed like they didn’t want to just burn osuna for 2 outs either.

got stuck in the middle...

This. The way Hinch managed the 7th was perfectly rational. Sometimes good decisions don't work. Leaving Greinke in to start was rational. Pulling him when he did, given how quickly Greinke has lost it when his stuff goes the last few months made total sense. Not putting Cole in in a middle of an inning made total sense. Obviously, it didn't work.

If you want to beat up on Hinch, you can ask if Cole should have started the 8th, down 3-2. But nothing Hinch did in the 7th didn't make sense.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Yeah losing him is not nearly as big a loss when you have Soto and Robles waiting in the wings.

Soto is already a better player than Harper. So is Springer for that matter.

Harper is a nice player, but that one 9+ WAR season that everyone dreams on shouldn't be overshadowed by all the 3-4 WAR seasons that surround it. He's barely a top 10 OF at this point.

the Q

Reaction Score
This. The way Hinch managed the 7th was perfectly rational. Sometimes good decisions don't work. Leaving Greinke in to start was rational. Pulling him when he did, given how quickly Greinke has lost it when his stuff goes the last few months made total sense. Not putting Cole in in a middle of an inning made total sense. Obviously, it didn't work.

If you want to beat up on Hinch, you can ask if Cole should have started the 8th, down 3-2. But nothing Hinch did in the 7th didn't make sense.

your last paragraph gets back to burning your best reliever for 2 outs.

the real question is why pull Harris so quickly unless he was always going to face just one batter (Kendrick because he sucked against cutters).

the Q

Reaction Score
Soto is already a better player than Harper. So is Springer for that matter.

Harper is a nice player, but that one 9+ WAR season that everyone dreams on shouldn't be overshadowed by all the 3-4 WAR seasons that surround it. He's barely a top 10 OF at this point.

he was like 4.5 war this year. He’s worth the contract, but he’s not what everyone thought he’s be. Which was just never a fair start.

this isn’t a Ewing theory moment though. This was quite simply better asset allocation when you have two pre arb outfielders who are both really really good already there.

Reaction Score
Man, how does Harper feel today? There's got to be a little what if going on in his head. You were the team star, leave in FA, and team is better off without you as they win the whole thing. It's got to sting for him.

the Q

Reaction Score
Man, how does Harper feel today? There's got to be a little what if going on in his head. You were the team star, leave in FA, and team is better off without you as they win the whole thing. It's got to sting for him.

They weren’t winning it with him though.

They sign Harper and no corbin.

Best case scenario if they kept Harper was signing lance lynn and anibal. Is that enough?

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
he was like 4.5 war this year. He’s worth the contract, but he’s not what everyone thought he’s be. Which was just never a fair start.

this isn’t a Ewing theory moment though. This was quite simply better asset allocation when you have two pre arb outfielders who are both really really good already there.

His OF defense was becoming close to unplayable in DC. I'll agree that Rizzo must've realized he had better options for spending that $$ for a guy who, in his final year in DC looked headed to 1b. To Harper's credit, he seems to have bounced back in the smaller confines of Philly for his first positive dWAR since his rookie season.

Still, point remains that just a few years ago the argument in MLB was who was better, Trout or Harper. That's has since become a clown question, bro.

Reaction Score
Not sure I've ever been happier for a non-UConn player winning it all then I was for Max Scherzer last night. Nobody gives more in sports than him, he friggin' leaves it all out there on every pitch. Watching him cry last night reminds me of why I still love sports so much.

the Q

Reaction Score
His OF defense was becoming close to unplayable in DC. I'll agree that Rizzo must've realized he had better options for spending that $$ for a guy who, in his final year in DC looked headed to 1b. To Harper's credit, he seems to have bounced back in the smaller confines of Philly for his first positive dWAR since his rookie season.

Still, point remains that just a few years ago the argument in MLB was who was better, Trout or Harper. That's has since become a clown question, bro.

But none of that really affects the Nats. Harper vs trout is irrelevant to how they build out their roster.

Keeping Harper would’ve meant benching Eaton or robles, or playing Harper at first.

I think this was the best result for everyone. But Phillys own poor roster management/asset allocation hurt Harper.

Reaction Score
Pretty funny - the 'deep state' pulled one out of its butt. Very exciting though.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom