World Series Thread | Page 3 | The Boneyard

World Series Thread

Reaction Score
The running lane (3-foot box) only applies to the last 45 feet of the first base path. He's veering somewhat back towards the bag as he approaches it. He's literally inches to the left of the line, which is considered part of the 3-foot box.
The interference rule also says the throw *must* be catchable. Arguably, that one was not since the first baseman had to reach across the bag into what would've been the base path to catch it.

Applying that rule in that time, given the runner's position, the bad throw, and the circumstance, would be like calling a 10-second free throw violation in a tied national championship game with 30 seconds left.

Bingo. And he was in the base path when he needed to be (as he was reaching the base).

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Joe Torre- he was out because he interfered with Gurriel at the bag. Gutless.
'
What can you do if your job description is to be a schill for the institution that pays your salary

More to the point; the interviewer's are gutless by not saying that the call was garbage and the replay rules are stupid.

Reaction Score
There's a second half, you also have to interfere with the fielder catching the throw. Which doesn't apply in that scenario
View attachment 47559

It’s the wrong call the wrong rule it’s all wrong. Baseball players can’t and have never run on or to the right of the line you can’t its impossible. You will always be close to the grass when running to first so by no means is touching it out of the baseline. A good throw to the outside of the bag he’s out. All first baseman ask for throws at all times outside because of where everyone runs to first and Turners path was no different than anyone’s. Bad throw period, awful call. His foot hits center of the bag does anyone remember a player ever nicking the inside of the bag on the right beating out a bunt or swinging bunt? No because they don’t they run through the middle like Turner.

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
It’s the wrong call the wrong rule it’s all wrong. Baseball players can’t and have never run on or to the right of the line you can’t its impossible. You will always be close to the grass when running to first so by no means is touching it out of the baseline. A good throw to the outside of the bag he’s out. All first baseman ask for throws at all times outside because of where everyone runs to first and Turners path was no different than anyone’s. Bad throw period, awful call. His foot hits center of the bag does anyone remember a player ever nicking the inside of the bag on the right beating out a bunt or swinging bunt? No because they don’t they run through the middle like Turner.
Yeah. How in God's name can a right handed batter not run just inside of that left-side line?

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score

the rule is just written wonky. But every single player is taught to run in the lane growing up. Every one.

The reason it looks bad on this one is that the contact would’ve occurred even if he did run in the lane. But because he was running in fair territory they banter him out.

it could’ve been avoided with gurriel fielding it properly.

one of the few smart things smoltz said, it is one of the harder rules to decipher. Especially in real time.

the Q

Reaction Score
I think the dumber part of the rule is how Gomes had to go back to first...when he was forced to run to second on contact

the Q

Reaction Score
It is a bad rule and needs to be fixed. But based on the rule book...it was technically accurate.

Reaction Score
Correct call by the book. You can argue whether it a bad or stupid rule, but the rule is what it is. Its the runners responsibly to get in the 3 ft designated lane. I'm sure MLB will take a look at it this winter. Good series so far, who doesn't love a game 7?

the Q

Reaction Score
Correct call by the book. You can argue whether it a bad or stupid rule, but the rule is what it is. Its the runners responsibly to get in the 3 ft designated lane. I'm sure MLB will take a look at it this winter. Good series so far, who doesn't love a game 7?

The best words in all of sports...

Anything can happen.

the Q

Reaction Score
Derosa and Reynolds did a great job explaining the call in mlb network

Both agreed it’s a poorly written rule though.

Reaction Score

Two comments on this:
1) It was not the correct call as Turner‘s foot was actually on the bag before the ball got there.
2) There were literally hundreds of other MAJOR LEAGUE baseball players who took to Twitter to say the call was not correct. I’m rooting for the Astros but the only people who think that was the correct call are a couple people on this board and Kate Upton...so just let that sink in for a bit.

the Q

Reaction Score
Two comments on this:
1) It was not the correct call as Turner‘s foot was actually on the bag before the ball got there.
2) There were literally hundreds of other MAJOR LEAGUE baseball players who took to Twitter to say the call was not correct. I’m rooting for the Astros but the only people who think that was the correct call are a couple people on this board and Kate Upton...so just let that sink in for a bit.

But he took the glove off Gurriel before he got to the base. That was the interference.

And mlb Said it was correct...

Reaction Score
It may be the correct call by the book but it’s still the wrong call.

They don’t enforce it all year and they then cal it in the World Series.

Joe Torre and Rob Manfred have to go.

Reaction Score
Obviously this was a one time thing, an umpire would never make an interference call in a play like that in a big WS game.

Reaction Score
Bingo. And he was in the base path when he needed to be (as he was reaching the base).
Technically, he wasn't - both of his feet were never in this three-foot box.

The problem is the base itself is in fair territory, outside of the three feet diameter where they say the runner has to be. So, how is the runner supposed to run from that box and step on the base without technically encroaching on the space the fielder is "entitled'" to? Not to mention it forces the runner to veer left as he gets to the base.

Answer: The runner doesn't have to stay in that three-foot space. The wording of the rule is absurd given the physical setup of the base line. This never should have been applied.

Reaction Score
Obviously this was a one time thing, an umpire would never make an interference call in a play like that in a big WS game.

Not runner interference. The ball can't considered catchable since it's thrown in the three-foot space.

1572447273620.png

Reaction Score
Two comments on this:
Sorry, it was the correct call you cannot say it isn't since it is in the rule book. Not saying I agree with it. If you read the rule, it was correct. As a pitcher, I was taught to throw at the runner if he was inside the line, the batter /runner is called out 99% of the time. Every pitcher is taught this.

Reaction Score
Sorry, it was the correct call you cannot say it isn't since it is in the rule book. Not saying I agree with it. If you read the rule, it was correct. As a pitcher, I was taught to throw at the runner if he was inside the line, the batter /runner is called out 99% of the time. Every pitcher is taught this.
If that's the case the runner would be out every single time you throw at him as he's approaching the bag.

Reaction Score
If that's the case the runner would be out every single time you throw at him as he's approaching the bag.
I'm not going to argue with anyone on this. Please go read the rule book on this. See how you interpret it. End of the day it's a judgment call by the ump. I personally think he should have not made the call. But I understand it.

Reaction Score
I'm not going to argue with anyone on this. Please go read the rule book on this. See how you interpret it. End of the day it's a judgment call by the ump. I personally think he should have not made the call. But I understand it.
I know the rule, if you're gonna call that you have to call it on every baserunner running down the first base line on an infield single, they blew it. I'm not looking to argue either.

Reaction Score
I know the rule, if you're gonna call that you have to call it on every baserunner running down the first base line on an infield single, they blew it. I'm not looking to argue either.
It is mainly only called when there is a situation like last night where it effects the outcome of the play. Bottom line, the way the rule is written, the baserunner has to know where he is and get the lane on a ball up the line like that. Mainly on plays where the pitcher or catcher field the ball.

Some guys, like Brett Gardner, are very good at getting to the outside lane. I guarantee that ump doesn't make that call if the runner was closer/inside to the running lane. If the Nationals were honest with themselves, they know the rule was correct, they were upset that it was enforced on that crucial play.

I have played a lot of baseball in my 41 years, and still play in multiple adult wood bat leagues and tournaments. Calls like this suck when enforced to the letter.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom