World Series thread | Page 19 | The Boneyard

World Series thread

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Rich Hill has their number, Boston is really bad at hitting lefty breaking stuff and they hit everything else. Hill had a 1 hitter on 90 pitches, nothing was hit hard the entire game, all he did was walk a guy on a 3-2 count and then struck out the next batter. After 4 straight balls from one cr@ppy reliever he puts in Madson, the king of crappy relievers who already blew game 1 and game 2. He makes his best relievers Baez and Urias unavailable. It was one of about 15 mind-numbingly stupid moves. Roberts was pretty awful last year in the Series, this year he's a dumpster fire.

I had no problem with him taking Hill out. If it's true that Hill came to him mid inning, then he was def laboring. No pitcher asks to be 'watched' or come out in such a big situation. He clearly must have thought he was out of gas.

The problem, as you say, was putting Madson in there.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
So, manager A keeps starter in game a bit too long and he gives up a 3-run jack.

Manager B pulls starter too soon and bullpen gives up a 3-run jack.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Baseball is the funniest sport ever when it comes to second guessing. Because the results are so clear afterwords. Gotta judge every decision on the information at the time, results be damned.

Putting in Madson was a bad move cause it hasnt' worked before and the Sox crush him. And you've got real live arms in the fold.

Reaction Score
So, manager A keeps starter in game a bit too long and he gives up a 3-run jack.

Manager B pulls starter too soon and bullpen gives up a 3-run jack.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.
It's not at all that simple. Hill was even more dominant against a better offense and Boston has a stacked bullpen they can go to. Roberts made it so the entire game was on Madson who blows, and 6 outs from Kenley which is impossible.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
It's not at all that simple. Hill was even more dominant against a better offense and Boston has a stacked bullpen they can go to. Roberts made it so the entire game was on Madson who blows, and 6 outs from Kenley which is impossible.

I thought Baez was the easy call.

Funny how the narrative has changed on the season-long, moribund Sox bullpen. Huge credit to those guys for stepping up and then some. Huge credit to Cora for dialing in how to get through more innings undamaged with that group as well.

Reaction Score
The Astros had an even worse pen then the Sox did last year they didnt even have a closer last year.

Reaction Score
I've seen a lot of people say this about Jansen, I'm not convinced that was the plan. I think Jansen was coming in for the big bats in the 8th and then give Baez the 9th against the bottom of the order

Reaction Score
I've seen a lot of people say this about Jansen, I'm not convinced that was the plan. I think Jansen was coming in for the big bats in the 8th and then give Baez the 9th against the bottom of the order
Nope, Roberts said Baez was unavailable.

Reaction Score
Rich Hill has their number, Boston is really bad at hitting lefty breaking stuff and they hit everything else. Hill had a 1 hitter on 90 pitches, nothing was hit hard the entire game, all he did was walk a guy on a 3-2 count and then struck out the next batter. After 4 straight balls from one cr@ppy reliever he puts in Madson, the king of crappy relievers who already blew game 1 and game 2. He makes his best relievers Baez and Urias unavailable. It was one of about 15 mind-numbingly stupid moves. Roberts was pretty awful last year in the Series, this year he's a dumpster fire.

The guy not only told Cora he was worn down, but he was openly straining and missing his spots for the first time all game. I rewound and he wasn't grunting the entire game until that inning. He was literally giving everything he had, and he was missing.

Like I said about Pedro and Grady Little, Pedro was lights out that game. Pitched a marvel. He was spent, and Grady sent him back out there.

Reaction Score
The guy not only told Cora he was worn down, but he was openly straining and missing his spots for the first time all game. I rewound and he wasn't grunting the entire game until that inning. He was literally giving everything he had, and he was missing.

Like I said about Pedro and Grady Little, Pedro was lights out that game. Pitched a marvel. He was spent, and Grady sent him back out there.
He was missing, lol. He walked Xander on a 3-2 count and struck out Nunez, lefty- lefty with Holt coming up. Roberts has been a disaster.

Going off my memory because it was like 15 years ago. Pedro was getting rocked, had given up 3 runs, and was over 120 pitches.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
I think it has to be eovaldi. Pitched lights out in games 1&2 with a legendary performance in game 3.

One would think he would be unavailable tonight but if the situation is perfect I could see it. Also, I think Cora uses Sale tonight if ahead like he did against the Yankees just to get x amount of outs closer to a win.

Back to Eovaldi, he actually went in Cora’s office at 8:45 AM the same day game 3 ended and told AC that he was ready to start game 4. Wow lol

I think he needs to throw agin since he lost. Hon kindler not pulled a Buckner he’s in the drivers seat. He gets the save tonight and I think he wins it.

According to WPA it’s Pearce.

Reaction Score
He was missing, lol. He walked Xander on a 3-2 count and struck out Nunez, lefty- lefty with Holt coming up. Roberts has been a disaster.

Going off my memory because it was like 15 years ago. Pedro was getting rocked, had given up 3 runs, and was over 120 pitches.

Your memory is very bad.

Pedro had given up 2 runs, it was 5-2. When he came into the dugout after the 7th, Little was told Martinez was done and he was told not to send him out again. He got rocked when he was sent back out there.

As for Hill, he was missing a lot. He told Roberts he was gassed. & he was grunting like a madman. The fact that Bogaerts swung twice at his bad pitches doesn't mean anything. Clearly he was gassed. Why was he grunting like he'd been shiv'd?

Reaction Score
I think he needs to throw agin since he lost. Hon kindler not pulled a Buckner he’s in the drivers seat. He gets the save tonight and I think he wins it.

According to WPA it’s Pearce.

Don't give up on Madson...if he plays his usual role and Sox win tonite, he could easily be MVP.

Reaction Score
Your memory is very bad.

Pedro had given up 2 runs, it was 5-2. When he came into the dugout after the 7th, Little was told Martinez was done and he was told not to send him out again. He got rocked when he was sent back out there.

As for Hill, he was missing a lot. He told Roberts he was gassed. & he was grunting like a madman. The fact that Bogaerts swung twice at his bad pitches doesn't mean anything. Clearly he was gassed. Why was he grunting like he'd been shiv'd?
My memory is actually pretty damn good here, just looked it up. It was 15 years ago, Pedro gave up 3 straight hits and a run to Jeter to make it 5-3, Grady came out to talk to Pedro and didn't pull him which is what Grady got killed for. Pedro was at 118 pitches, I thought he was over 120. Actually, I'm kind of amazed with my memory on this one.

You have an incredible ability to be wrong and to always double down, I actually kind of respect it.

Reaction Score
My memory is actually pretty damn good here, just looked it up. It was 15 years ago, Pedro gave up 3 straight hits and a run to Jeter to make it 5-3, Grady came out to talk to Pedro and didn't pull him which is what Grady got killed for. Pedro was at 118 pitches, I thought he was over 120. Actually, I'm kind of amazed with my memory on this one.

You have an incredible ability to be wrong and to always double down, I actually kind of respect it.

WRONG

Grady got killed because he was told BEFORE the 8th to take him out.

In fact, Nomar and Martinez celebrated his outing when he came off the field the previous inning because he had been told he was coming out. All the players then preceded to congratulate him.

Quite frankly, you don't know what you are talking about on this one.

Reaction Score
WRONG

Grady got killed because he was told BEFORE the 8th to take him out.

In fact, Nomar and Martinez celebrated his outing when he came off the field the previous inning because he had been told he was coming out. All the players then preceded to congratulate him.

Quite frankly, you don't know what you are talking about on this one.
Pedro expected to get one out in the 8th because the matchup wasn't good for Embree. Pedro got his out but Little left him in until damage was done and it was 5-3, he came out to talk to Pedro and left him in for the game to be tied which is really where Little got killed by everyone and lost his job.

Reaction Score
Pedro expected to get one out in the 8th because the matchup wasn't good for Embree. Pedro got his out but Little left him in until damage was done and it was 5-3, he came out to talk to Pedro and left him in for the game to be tied which is really where Little got killed by everyone and lost his job.

No.

I mean, it's in every news article that you're wrong on this, Pedro was celebrating after the 7th and being congratulated. He was in shock when called upon. He wasn't expecting anything as you say. You're just making that up.

Reaction Score
No.

I mean, it's in every news article that you're wrong on this, Pedro was celebrating after the 7th and being congratulated. He was in shock when called upon. He wasn't expecting anything as you say. You're just making that up.
You're impossible. I'm done here, you are playing your role to perfection.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The players that hit those game tying dingers were both 1st basemen. That's an oddity. So is a 22 YO hitting in a go-ahead 9th inning run.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

He’s right. The announcers even talked about that being the end of the night for Pedro. The look on his face when he was sent out for the 8th was one of disbelief. Nobody but Little thought Pedro was going out for the 8th. He had put on his jacket and was clearly done.

Reaction Score
He’s right. The announcers even talked about that being the end of the night for Pedro. The look on his face when he was sent out for the 8th was one of disbelief. Nobody but Little thought Pedro was going out for the 8th. He had put on his jacket and was clearly done.

Superjohn makes things up and then gets upset when he's called out on the facts.

Here are some facts for him:

1. This is a picture of Pedro Martinez walking off after a strikeout at the end of the 7th inning.
https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/13278147/image1__2_.png
2. Pedro does this when he is done pitching.
3. He walked into the dugout and was immediately greeted by Nomar who congratulated him for only giving up 2 hits.
4. The rest of his teammates then congratulated him.
5. John Henry and the sabremetrics people (at the time, the team employed Bill James) told Grady that Pedro would go no more than 7 innings OR 100 pitches, whichever came first.
6. Pedro had thrown 100 pitches at that point.
7. Grady Little TOLD!!! Pedro that he was going either 7 innings or 100 pitches, whichever came first (which explains why Pedro pointed to the sky when he came off the mound).
8. Pedro expressed surprise when Little told him to go back out for the 8th.
9. John Henry and Lucchino expressed surprise too right by the dugout.
10. Henry uttered the words, "Can we fire him now?"

Reaction Score
He's right about everything.

Grady got fired because he brought arguably the best pitcher in baseball out in the 8th with a 5-2 lead instead of bringing in Alan Embree who had bad numbers against Johson, not because after retiring the first batter he left arguably the best pitcher in baseball in after he gave up 3 straight hits and the score was 5-3.

He's also right that Roberts made the right move taking his pitcher (who had totally lost it) despite having a 1 hitter and striking out the previous hitter to bring in a reliever who threw 4 straight balls, Madson who blew game 1 and 2, and Kenley for 6 straight outs despite never showing he can get 6 straignt outs.

He doesn't even know who the Dodgers manager is but he's right on all of it.

Reaction Score

You challenged the idea that a guy who stayed with his pitcher (who had 100 pitchers at the time and had only given up 2 hits) would be (rightly) criticized for staying with his pitcher. I don't know why you did so, but you did.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom