OT: - World Cup | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OT: World Cup

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Spain is just cruising. Costa Rica is a much weaker side than it was several years ago, but they aren't terrible. So Spain looking quite strong.

Reaction Score
No, no there's not. Maybe a stupid argument it wasn't a penalty. But definitely not a solid argument.
Upon review, Zimmerman did have an angle as the ball was coming across the box. If Zimmerman had gotten a foot on the ball a fraction of a second sooner...Yes, it's a penalty but I don't think it was as egregious. Zimmerman kinda has to go for the ball there which he did.

1669222556728.png

Reaction Score
Zimmerman was actually first to the ball but Bale slid across and his leg came over the top of Zimmerman's. I think Zimmerman got jobbed.

1669222898049.png

Reaction Score
Zimmerman: "The ball gets down to the end line, I see it get cut back and at that point, I’m dropping down and on the way to step out and clear the ball, I don’t see Bale coming across," Zimmerman said after the match. "I think it was one of those where he probably just puts his leg, not for the ball, but to try to get in the way of me hitting the ball. So I kind of went through him and I think I still got the ball, but it was a clever move. I wish I would have seen him out of the corner of my eye when trying to clear the ball, but it was instinctive. It was quick. And I’m a little bit frustrated by that. But sometimes those plays happen."

Reaction Score
Spain putting Costa Rica to the sword. They look every bit the tourney favorites they came in as, which is more than you can say for ARG or GER.

It’s definitely not a vintage CRC team, as their core from 2014 and 2018 has gotten pretty old or already retired, but I still thought they’d be a little competitive. Not even close.

Reaction Score
No, no there's not. Maybe a stupid argument it wasn't a penalty. But definitely not a solid argument.

Tons of credible people disagree with you. But whatever you say.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Zimmerman: "The ball gets down to the end line, I see it get cut back and at that point, I’m dropping down and on the way to step out and clear the ball, I don’t see Bale coming across," Zimmerman said after the match. "I think it was one of those where he probably just puts his leg, not for the ball, but to try to get in the way of me hitting the ball. So I kind of went through him and I think I still got the ball, but it was a clever move. I wish I would have seen him out of the corner of my eye when trying to clear the ball, but it was instinctive. It was quick. And I’m a little bit frustrated by that. But sometimes those plays happen."

This is correct. An MLS guy gets baited by a world class player. That's why it's good to have world class players.

We all knew Bale was going to be a deciding factor for Wales and a bad match up for Zimmerman and Ream.

It's disappointing, not shocking.

Reaction Score
Germany Spain will have the intensity of a final. So many huge 2nd games now

Reaction Score
This is correct. An MLS guy gets baited by a world class player. That's why it's good to have world class players.

We all knew Bale was going to be a deciding factor for Wales and a bad match up for Zimmerman and Ream.

It wasn't so much a bait as a flop. But there sure are plenty of world class floppers in these games.

Reaction Score

Bale is technically an MLS guy:)

Reaction Score
Belgium scores on their second shot after Canada had 12 shots, and a missed PK.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Canada had around 21 shots, but only three on target…plus they missed a PK. Belgium had one chance and put it away.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
What a massive bummer for Canada. Really outplayed Belgium in almost all facets but scoring. The early missed PK was a killer.

Also mystified at how that VAR review late in the first half did not result in a PK. Replay showed clear trip by defender.

Reaction Score
Belgiums golden generation is cooked.
If Canada can clear up the crosses and shots (goes for usmnt too!) they can get through but a tough road ahead
Man these second games are gonna be insanely good

Reaction Score
What a massive bummer for Canada. Really outplayed Belgium in almost all facets but scoring. The early missed PK was a killer.

Also mystified at how that VAR review late in the first half did not result in a PK. Replay showed clear trip by defender.
I thought it was marginal. I agree with Cobi Jones. Would've been a weak PK, legs got tangled.

But the earlier no VAR was a horribly bad decision from not only the VAR booth, but the referee who was just feet away when Hazard passed it backward. Offsides shouldn't have been called. I have no idea what he was looking at. That was not a deflection. It was clear as day that that was a pass.

Reaction Score
Yes, but that's a penalty

Reminds me a little of Koulibaly's foul on Messi in Champions League. It resulted in a PK. KK had his head down about to clear the ball when Messi ran to his side and dropped his leg in front of the ball. Koulibaly contacts his leg, and Messi goes down. PK

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Is first to the ball relevant here? He took Bale out.
Zimmerman went through Bale without playing the ball, or to play the ball. Doesn't really matter you can't slide through another player. It's a clear penalty and should have been top of mind to an experienced defender.

Zimmerman got caught out and made a reaction play that he should have had the good sense not to make. Even if Bale gets the ball cleanly, he still has options to block or prevent a scoring chance.

By reaching, he gifted Wales the trying goal with 10 minutes on the clock. It's not Bill Buckner level choking but it's bad.

Reaction Score
Is first to the ball relevant here? He took Bale out.
I think it is. He actually kicked the ball. The fact that Bale decided to flop on Zimmerman's leg as Zimmerman is kicking the ball shouldn't result in penalty. What do they expect him to do, defy the laws of physics and freeze instantaneously?

Yes, but that's a penalty

Reminds me a little of Koulibaly's foul on Messi in Champions League. It resulted in a PK. KK had his head down about to clear the ball when Messi ran to his side and dropped his leg in front of the ball. Koulibaly contacts his leg, and Messi goes down. PK
Oooph. That was an awful call. I'll bet Shane Battier is proud.

Reaction Score
I think it is. He actually kicked the ball. The fact that Bale decided to flop on Zimmerman's leg as Zimmerman is kicking the ball shouldn't result in penalty. What do they expect him to do, defy the laws of physics and freeze instantaneously?

Oooph. That was an awful call. I'll bet Shane Battier is proud.
It's universally considered a PK though and there are plenty examples of it. You have to stay clear of contact. Not to mention Zimmerman came through Bale. This is why i say getting to the ball is irrelevant when you go through another player. He took him out.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Zimmerman got caught out and made a reaction play that he should have had the good sense not to make. Even if Bale gets the ball cleanly, he still has options to block or prevent a scoring chance.
This is my biggest issue. There are times when the defender has little choice but to chance a risky tackle. This was not one of those times. Should've just played it straight up. It's the decision making that was fatal here.

Reaction Score
It's universally considered a PK though and there are plenty examples of it. You have to stay clear of contact. Not to mention Zimmerman came through Bale. This is why i say getting to the ball is irrelevant when you go through another player. He took him out.
It's an extremely fast game. I watch the video and I see Bale flopping. I understand the way the players play the game and that plays a large part as to why many Americans hate the game. Far too much crying and writhing on the ground. If someone like Bales chooses to initiate contact, I prefer "play on." Not gonna happen, but that's my take.

Reaction Score
I utterly despise FIFA, but love the World Cup with an intense passion. This time around my goal (pathetic pun intended) is to watch every match live on Telemundo, in part to help improve my Spanish.

Only four days in, however, and I am looking forward to 2026, when the games will all be played again during summer hours in Western Hemisphere time zones.

Here in L.A., the action begins for the day at 2:00 am PST and ends around lunchtime ... And then I’m expected to be productive for the remainder of the day? Yeah, right.

Thankfully, this year it is my responsibility to host family for Thanksgiving ... so, no traveling ... and I have already warned everyone coming that they will mostly have to fend themselves.

Very nice to see Cyle Larin and Canada play today.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom