OT: - World Cup | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: World Cup

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
France back in control.
There's an awful lot of offensive firepower on that squad. Just clearly the better team. But so was USA and they managed to butt fumble it away.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
There's an awful lot of offensive firepower on that squad. Just clearly the better team. But so was USA and they managed to butt fumble it away.
Yea but Didier >>>>> Greg

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
US was fortunate that at least 2 headers from Wales were over the net.
Yet Wales wasn't fortunate that the US twice hit wood in the first half, Right?

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
The next game for the US will be the decider. If we don't get a point off of England (assuming Wales beats Iran), we are going home. The order in which you play teams is almost as important as who you play. Wales getting to play England last is a huge advantage for Wales as England might be content with a draw if it sees them win the group.

Reaction Score
I was very impressed with the aggressive play of KSA. Full out effort for what seemed like an extra long game. Contrast that with the U.S. sleepwalking for the entire second half. Very disappointing and frustrating. Can’t say I’m a big fan of the Kingdom, but great effort by them.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
The bulk of the US hasn't been playing. 90-100 min of full out play likely isn't possible. That is also on GGG, but with 5 subs there really is no excuse. Maybe Zimmerman should have been subbed off, but Robinson, Pulisic, Adams, Ream, didn't seem to have issues with fitness. The subs, save for Aaronson and Acosta didn't impact the match at all. Yedlin had just as many gaffes as Dest. Wright and Morris did nothing.

Reaction Score
The bulk of the US hasn't been playing. 90-100 min of full out play likely isn't possible. That is also on GGG, but with 5 subs there really is no excuse. Maybe Zimmerman should have been subbed off, but Robinson, Pulisic, Adams, Ream, didn't seem to have issues with fitness. The subs, save for Aaronson and Acosta didn't impact the match at all. Yedlin had just as many gaffes as Dest. Wright and Morris did nothing.

Everyone in the 11 yesterday except Zimmerman has been playing in the Euro leagues.

I would have pulled off Sargent and put on another midfielder to transition to a 4-4-2.

Then we would have more space for a counter because Wales would need to push more men up to attack.

Herc Gomez pointed out that the back line had too much pressure making a mistake all but inevitable. Instead we subbed like for like and made no formation adjustments.

Berhalter didn’t do anything to help the team yesterday.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Everyone in the 11 yesterday except Zimmerman has been playing in the Euro leagues.

I would have pulled off Sargent and put on another midfielder to transition to a 4-4-2.

Then we would have more space for a counter because Wales would need to push more men up to attack.

Herc Gomez pointed out that the back line had too much pressure making a mistake all but inevitable. Instead we subbed like for like and made no formation adjustments.

Berhalter didn’t do anything to help the team yesterday.

Except he did. He subbed Acosta for Musah moving from a single 6 to a double 6. Which is sbout all he could do.

He also subbed Yedlin for Dest, who is better defensively than the erratic Dest.

If Zimmerman doesn't make a boneheaded challenge, they win.

There are plenty of reasons to dump on GGG. Reyna, for one. Not pressing in the 2nd half, another. The defensive subs were fine. Morris was useless, would have been better to sub in Long as a third CB at the 70-75 mark. Lots of second guessing is possible because of a cheap giveaway PK.

The match played out as expected, we struggle to score or even create in possession and are weak defending our own box. The rest is pretty much chance.

The only surprise was how dominant the 1st half was.

Reaction Score
Exciting game between Germany and Japan. 1-1. Germany controlling, but Japan striking with flare. Japan's goalie had like 5 saves in 20 seconds, then Japan scores to tie it up mins later. Reminds me of our game and would be a huge letdown for zie Germans.

Reaction Score
Except he did. He subbed Acosta for Musah moving from a single 6 to a double 6. Which is sbout all he could do.

He also subbed Yedlin for Dest, who is better defensively than the erratic Dest.

There are plenty of reasons to dump on GGG. Reyna, for one. Not pressing in the 2nd half, another. The defensive subs were fine. Morris was useless, would have been better to sub in Long as a third CB at the 70-75 mark. Lots of second guessing is possible because of a cheap giveaway PK.

The match played out as expected, we struggle to score or even create in possession and are weak defending our own box. The rest is pretty much chance.

He subbed in Wright for Sargent. It should have been a midfielder and a formation change.

Reaction Score

Also I’ve looked at the Zimmerman challenge from other angles and he was actually closer to the ball than Bale. There is a solid argument to be made that it wasn’t a penalty.

This is all on Berhalter not supporting the back line.

Reaction Score
spoilers :(

Argentina offsides controversy. After watching Mexico and Poland yesterday, I don't think Argentina has to worry about scoring many goal. Neither Mexico nor Poland can finish.

Now the offsides. They are focusing on the player who scored the goal. But wouldn't Messi be considered offsides anyway even if he didn't touch the ball? He was still kind of involved in the play since he was running alongside Martinez

1669218502223.png

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Can't wait to watch Davies later today. Love his game.

Wish Halaand was in the World Cup. I think he would smash the goal scoring records

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
What a game by Japan
Japan has always had a dangerous counter-attack game, but Germany just blew too many chances and didn't tighten things up.

Reaction Score
Japan looked so so good. Wanted to see how far each man ran. What a performance

Reaction Score
Haaland needs service. His national team isn’t exactly Man City

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Also I’ve looked at the Zimmerman challenge from other angles and he was actually closer to the ball than Bale. There is a solid argument to be made that it wasn’t a penalty.

This is all on Berhalter not supporting the back line.
No, no there's not. Maybe a stupid argument it wasn't a penalty. But definitely not a solid argument.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score

Argentina offsides controversy. After watching Mexico and Poland yesterday, I don't think Argentina has to worry about scoring many goal. Neither Mexico nor Poland can finish.

Now the offsides. They are focusing on the player who scored the goal. But wouldn't Messi be considered offsides anyway even if he didn't touch the ball? He was still kind of involved in the play since he was running alongside Martinez

View attachment 81008
No. Messi is in an offside position. But he didn't play the ball. Nor was he interfering with an opponent. So he wouldn't be sanctioned for an offside offense.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score

View attachment 81008
No. Messi is in an offside position. But he didn't play the ball. Nor was he interfering with an opponent. So he wouldn't be sanctioned for an offside offense.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom