OT: - World Cup | Page 10 | The Boneyard

OT: World Cup

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
We won despite the poor coaching. Horrible substitutions. And the equivalent of the "prevent defense". Questionable coaching decisions. The best defense is often an aggressive offense.

We won, so I am happy.
Why do I have visions of The Netherlands hanging a 4-0 defeat on the US (Rhetorical question. It could...and might...absolutely happen IRL)?

Exactly. We were just sitting ducks at that point. Basically a strategy of crossing your fingers that there are no miss-kicks, lazy hand balls, goalie miss-judgments and at the mercy of the ref. Arghhhhh.

Which almost happened in the 98th minute. I was a little miffed that the ref wasn't calling much early in the match. By the time of the final whistle, I was relieved.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I'm not sure I ever want to see Haji Wright in there again! Gave me a heart attack.
I think he might have slowed Iran more by just laying down at midfield. Made no attempt to even get to 50-50 balls, or do anything really. Worst sub of all time. Please Gregg, do not play him.

Shaq Moore: also awful. Moment seemed way too big for him, did the wrong thing several times in a few minute span.

Thank God for Tyler Adams. He was everywhere today, on both ends. Winning the ball constantly and making smart passes.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Hated seeing it but given how tired the midfield and Robinson were, it's understandable. The offensive subs did nothing to relieve the pressure.

Exactly. We were just sitting ducks at that point. Basically a strategy of crossing your fingers that there are no miss-kicks, lazy hand balls, goalie miss-judgments and at the mercy of the ref. Arghhhhh.
Used up all his Sub opportunities, while leaving a sub on the bench. STUPID!. Musah was out on his feet. Should have subbed on Reyna and moved Aaronson back to Musah's position. At least Reyna could have held up the ball.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
We really won that game in spite of ourselves. The last 30 minutes were painful to watch. Mistakes in all portions of the pitch, which Iran just wasn't good enough to capitalize on.

It's a quick turnaround to the knockout stage. If Pulisic isn't good to go in 4 days, our odds of not getting embarrassed vs. the Low Countries will be low.

Reaction Score
In a run that probably should not have happened, The US nearly scored (offsides) a 2nd goal in minute 6 of 5 minutes extra time.

US Needs to look out for Rope a Dope and keep the pressure on Iran.
I want to see that replay again because I was convinced he was onside the one time i saw a replay.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Used up all his Sub opportunities, while leaving a sub on the bench. STUPID!. Musah was out on his feet. Should have subbed on Reyna and moved Aaronson back to Musah's position. At least Reyna could have held up the ball.

He used all 5. Aaronson, Wright, Moore, Zimmerman and Acosta

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
I will say this. For a young team that was building for 2026, mission accomplished. I wasn't sold on them making it, especially since we knew goals would be scarce.

Kudos to Zimmerman, Ream, and CCV for not being the sieve we thought our CBs would be. None of the opponents ran rampant as we feared and if not for Zimmerman boneheaded penalty, they would have 3 clean sheets. Adams gets most of the credit but few teams conceded only 1 goal and Iran can score, so can England.

Reaction Score
I want to see that replay again because I was convinced he was onside the one time i saw a replay.
VAR is irrelevant when you consider that the most important factor is WHEN the ball leaves the passer's foot. I can show you anything with VAR. I can make the player appear onside or offside. It all depends on which frame I freeze when I arbitrarily decide the ball has left the passer's foot. At that point, Weah may be off, he may be on. It's totally arbitrary.

They released a computer generated graphic showing Weah's silhouetted shoulder was a little ahead and offside. But... again, when did the ball leave the foot? No one knows.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
VAR is irrelevant when you consider that the most important factor is WHEN the ball leaves the passer's foot. I can show you anything with VAR. I can make the player appear onside or offside. It all depends on which frame I freeze when I arbitrarily decide the ball has left the passer's foot. At that point, Weah may be off, he may be on. It's totally arbitrary.

They released a computer generated graphic showing Weah's silhouetted shoulder was a little ahead and offside. But... again, when did the ball leave the foot? No one knows.
It certainly was so very close. The unwritten rule for ARs are when there is a play where it is as close to that, if the player on the team with the ball in possession is making a straightforward (important condition) run while being closely marked, once the ball is addressed and a 1/2 the runners body is behind the marking defender the AR keeps the flag at his/her side. That would take into consideration the small amount of time difference of actual ball address and leaving the foot. It is bang bang and you have to hear/see the ball. I understand this is World Cup play and the Refs are auditioning for more important games. Other than that play, I thought this was one of the better officiated matches.

Reaction Score
Game went exactly how I thought it would.

Iran biased towards defending. We went after it and scored.

Iran went into attack mode to equalize and we had to hang on. That’s pretty much exactly how a game goes when one team has to win and the other just has to draw.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score

I prefer the EPL version. VAR in this tournament has already been shown to be flawed, ignoring off ball defenders who may keep attackers on side.

If the video isn't showing the ball and the offending player, it's worthless. Draw the lines on the screen if you have to but show the full field.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
You're right. Must have forgot about Aaronson. Doh!

Then I guess he should have used Reyna instead of Moore.
Acosta, Wright and Moore were all negative adds. If you commit to five at the back (Zimmerman for Sargent) I would have subbed Reyna for McKennie (as he is an autosub based on fitness) and moved Aaronson midfield, Reyna up top with Weah (then sub Wright/Ferreira for Weah).

Dest was having a good game, so I wasn't necessarily looking for him to be subbed off but there were a lot tired legs and you weren't subbing off the Starting CBs, Robinson or Adams so, that leaves Dest or Musah as the last man off. I would have picked Musah and probably put Acosta in for Musah to protect Dest. Musah was clearly spent and asking to get caught in possession. But it GG thought Dest was more of a defensive liability, then it's fine. Acosta was not good but we won, so it worked out even if it didn't work out.

I think Pulisic's injury did affect the plan. After Aaronson dropped off after an intial bout of very good attacking, we didn't get much going forward. Robinson, McKennie, Adams were all tiring too much to push the ball as they had earlier. Needed the subs to take up the offensive pressure and get the second goal. Once that didn't happen, GG parked the bus. A defensible call if not one we wanted to see. At the end, we could barely possess the ball in the offensive half and let a bunch of counter attacks happen so that supports his decision.

Reaction Score

That's exactly right. But hell, I would have brought Reyna in for Pulisic after the injury and started Aronson in the second half for Musah.

Reaction Score
I expect the team to be much looser against the Dutch with nothing really to lose. Todays game they looked like they really felt the pressure. So if they throw caution to the wind, who knows, maybe get the win against the Dutch or get beat down by 3-4 goals.

Reaction Score
I expect the team to be much looser against the Dutch with nothing really to lose. Todays game they looked like they really felt the pressure. So if they throw caution to the wind, who knows, maybe get the win against the Dutch or get beat down by 3-4 goals.

This Dutch team is considered to be very mediocre. It’s winnable.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
This Dutch team is considered to be very mediocre. It’s winnable.
They aren’t as good as England, especially now that Southgate is playing Foden. I suspect we’re faster but they will make us pay for mistakes. I’m concerned we will try to out possess them, lots of back passes and that tends to be what leads to mistakes and chances.

Reaction Score
They aren’t as good as England, especially now that Southgate is playing Foden. I suspect we’re faster but they will make us pay for mistakes. I’m concerned we will try to out possess them, lots of back passes and that tends to be what leads to mistakes and chances.
They are very strong in the back and midfield. Yyou have de Ligt, Van Dijk, de Vrij, and Ake back there on D. That's tough.

Midfield also controls the ball. Less threatening on offense than many of the remaining teams.

Reaction Score
They are very strong in the back and midfield. Yyou have de Ligt, Van Dijk, de Vrij, and Ake back there on D. That's tough.

Midfield also controls the ball. Less threatening on offense than many of the remaining teams.

Whatever dude. They haven’t faced a team with our energy and skill yet.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom