OT: - World Cup | Page 8 | The Boneyard

OT: World Cup

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
LOL Canada. Their smugness is rewarded.
Yes, electrifying because they attack recklessly and open themselves up on defense against good teams.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Germany survives with a tie vs Spain. Spain looked better overall. The Germans look like they’ve never played together. I’ve never seen so many mistimed passes or players completely out of synch, and from a team that is usually so crisp.

I think we are seeing the effect of a lack of practice on several teams. Belgium also looked out of sorts in both matches. France among the few that have looked cohesive so far, Spain as well.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I still want to see evidence of Pennstater’s specious claim that there are large protests under way to kick the USA out,

If it were a cross, Subba and @upstater woukf have no problem with this.

He’s actually confused, it’s just this.

Yes, Iran is screaming about it. That isn't the point. It's juvenile as protests go. You likely could have gotten the Iranian players to agree to a joint demonstration. Now all your done is piss off the entire country and allow the regime to use it against the rebels. To a lot of them, it's Darth Vader showing support for the Bothans.

It screams some smart ass controls the twitter account unsupervised. And your ideological attack is way off. This was a leftist showing how virtuous they are without thinking things through. I know criticizing the fringe when they screw up is a difficult concept for Republicans to grasp.

Iran needs a draw to go through, absent a crazy Eng/Wales result. Pissing them off over this wasn't the best idea. It was terrible.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
Well, there's no stellar team in our region but Concacaf has played several top teams. We are effectively low seeds, the extras. Teams played by Concacaf: Spain, Belgium, England, Croatia, Argentina. When they're not playing the top teams in the World, they are having similar success as everyone else, 1 win, 2 ties, 0 losses.

Wait until the end of the group stage, then reassess. Concacaf should have at least 2 teams make it, and it will likely have 1 or zero. Canada topped Qualifying and Mexico was second and both choked. Costa Rica over Japan was a solid win but probably won't be enough.

Reaction Score
I really enjoy watching Spain. That errant pass in the 83rd minute to allow Deutschland the equalizer was a huge mistake.

Reaction Score
They had just made a sub on that side too. Must have had an impact on the next play

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I really enjoy watching Spain. That errant pass in the 83rd minute to allow Deutschland the equalizer was a huge mistake.
The whole offensive strategy for Germany was to pressure and force mistakes. Spain made about 7-8 like that, and most were missed chances or saves. Once subs came on they turned it up and scored.

I found it tactically interesting. The possession based teams do tend to make a lot of passes in their own end with only a couple of people back. Any mistakes can lead to disaster. We’ve seen it with USA.

Reaction Score
Serbia let that one slip through their hands. Up 3-1, give up two goals in the span of about 3 minutes, and settle for the draw. Other than the 7-0 Spain/Costa Rica snooze fest, most goals of the WC so far, an entertaining game. Serbs really plays way too timidly in the first match and gave it away in the second, unlikely to advance now.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
The Ghana-South Korea match that just ended was ridiculous. The final 15 minutes seemed like one long hockey power play for Steven Krajewski, but they just couldn't convert. Ghana was doing everything it could to just get breathing room. S.Korea's Cho is amazing. Wonder if they win if Cho starts.

Hey Tom - I think you can kill the Steven Krajewski autocorrect now.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
What has caused this random comment?

The world (US media) is coming out of their Thanksgiving food coma and just learning about US Soccer twitter impersonation of Elon Musk.

Reaction Score
I mean the Federation is not great but this would have happened even without the Flag thing.

Total s’show.

Reaction Score
At least the Portugal and Brazil matches were fun to watch. I was amused by Ronaldo seemingly taking credit for Portugal's first goal which he appeared to miss. I believe Fernandes scored the goal.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Ray Ratto at The Defector just wrote: "The U.S. convinced its army of supporters that the England match was everything". That is so true with Pulisic spouting nonsense like "I hope we made people proud with a draw" I gotta wonder if they are ready to win.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I'm watching it now. Ronaldo with the "Hair of God Goal!" Lame-0
I like Portugal but he’s insufferable. Fernandes is a better player at this point in time.

Reaction Score
1669696391051.png

Reaction Score
I like Portugal but he’s insufferable. Fernandes is a better player at this point in time.
Uruguay has some great chances hitting the post and just couldn't get it by the keeper. Ronaldo is still very quick with his cross-overs but the defenders do do a great job of staying home. Great shoulder pass though.

Go USA!

Reaction Score
Ray Ratto at The Defector just wrote: "The U.S. convinced its army of supporters that the England match was everything". That is so true with Pulisic spouting nonsense like "I hope we made people proud with a draw" I gotta wonder if they are ready to win.
Ray knows soccer! Not

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
It is what it is. Mexico is really old. Costa Rica isn't close to their form several years ago. Canada has some talent, but no depth, won group simply because the others were down. USA remains an enigma, talent, but not at every position, and coaching leaves a lot to be desired.

Still, we act like having a Chelsea bench forward and a midfielder from Juventus, WB from AC Milan and a couple guys from PL powerhouses Leeds or Fulham somehow means we are on par with the power teams that have guys like our best players on their bench. Turner is starting for Arsenal now, so there's that. Leeds has 3 guys at the WC, and we have two of them. Man City has 16 and we have none. It's big improvement over where we were, trending the right direction. Our team is really young, so I remain encouraged.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TBall

Top Bottom