OT: - World Cup | Page 11 | The Boneyard

OT: World Cup

Reaction Score
Whatever dude. They haven’t faced a team with our energy and skill yet.
Yes, the best defenders in the world have never seen anything like the US players!!!

When you use the laugh emoji, I just imagine you drunk. Which explains it.

Reaction Score
Netherlands are not better than England. We can go toe to toe with them.

BTW, England scored 9 goals in the group stage. We did just fine against them.

Reaction Score
Yes, the best defenders in the world have never seen anything like the US players!!!

When you use the laugh emoji, I just imagine you drunk. Which explains it.

In this tournament they haven’t. That’s all that matters Pennstater.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Netherlands are not better than England. We can go toe to toe with them.

BTW, England scored 9 goals in the group stage. We did just fine against them.
I mean, they weren‘t trying. Not really anyway. England are the deepest team here, including Brazil. In a short format tournament with compressed time, they saved several guys.

Yes, they are better than The Netherlands, but it’s the knockout stage. Can we win? Sure. Will it be tough to score? For both teams I expect. No stupid giveaways in our own end. If the back pass isn’t completely safe, push it forward instead.

Reaction Score
Frankie de Jong has been garbage since moving on from Ajax. MMA will run circles around him

Reaction Score
VAR is irrelevant when you consider that the most important factor is WHEN the ball leaves the passer's foot. I can show you anything with VAR. I can make the player appear onside or offside. It all depends on which frame I freeze when I arbitrarily decide the ball has left the passer's foot. At that point, Weah may be off, he may be on. It's totally arbitrary.

They released a computer generated graphic showing Weah's silhouetted shoulder was a little ahead and offside. But... again, when did the ball leave the foot? No one knows.
I understand and agree, but they have and use replays for a reason. So the word you're looking for is "inaccurate" not "irrelevant".

It might be inaccurate, and susceptible to manipulation, but it is certainly relevant. And that play was close enough to take more time for a second look.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
It's like Gregg was asked to build a doghouse. Did he complete it? Yes, but he used a shovel and tape and glue and staples.

Many of us are just going, WTF Gregg?, you have a hammer and nails. Why are you making it so difficult?

Reaction Score
I mean, they weren‘t trying. Not really anyway. England are the deepest team here, including Brazil. In a short format tournament with compressed time, they saved several guys.

Yes, they are better than The Netherlands, but it’s the knockout stage. Can we win? Sure. Will it be tough to score? For both teams I expect. No stupid giveaways in our own end. If the back pass isn’t completely safe, push it forward instead.

Wait. Who wasn’t trying? Did you see Sterling when he was subbed out? He was a mess. We gave England all they could handle.

Reaction Score
It's like Gregg was asked to build a doghouse. Did he complete it? Yes, but he used a shovel and tape and glue and staples.

Many of us are just going, WTF Gregg?, you have a hammer and nails. Why are you making it so difficult?

We hired a German guy to coach set pieces. And we haven’t seen any rewards.

I like what we see in the middle of the field and in the wide spaces.

But in front of goal we act like we’re trying to walk the ball in. And we are not incident be otherwise.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Wait. Who wasn’t trying? Did you see Sterling when he was subbed out? He was a mess. We gave England all they could handle.
They didn't play like a team that needed a win, because they didn't. They had a massive goal differential and knew they could beat Wales. I'm not saying they didn't try to win, but there wasn't a lot of urgency to do so. Agree the USA played very well, and probably should have scored. USA can certainly beat the Dutch if we keep the pressure up. Need to put more of our chances on net.

Reaction Score

It's like some people have ever watched the world cup before, don't understand the difference between opening round and knockout stage, the significance of the scheduling in the opening round (i.e. who you play and when), nor the history of the WC (it's often won by teams who didn't look great in the opening round, and the teams that looked the best [like Spain this year] go out in the quarters -- which I have no doubt will happen to Spain again this year).

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The first game in the Patriots new stadium was the USMNT send-off game before the 2022 WC. The Netherlands, who had failed to qualify , kicked our ass 2-0 in a game not that close. We got jobbed out of the final 8 that year, but I don't think we do this year. ENG is better than NED, not buying that they weren't trying. They sure as hell were.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
They didn't play like a team that needed a win, because they didn't. They had a massive goal differential and knew they could beat Wales. I'm not saying they didn't try to win, but there wasn't a lot of urgency to do so. Agree the USA played very well, and probably should have scored. USA can certainly beat the Dutch if we keep the pressure up. Need to put more of our chances on net.

Yeah. I don’t think so. They were wrecked when the match was over.

ColchVEGAS

Still buckin like five, deuce, four, trey.
Reaction Score
The Netherlands is a good team, but definitely beatable and we match up well against them. As stated above we just need to a much better job of putting our opportunities on net.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
So Australia is through. Group C is wide open. All 4 squads can advance. Poland vs Argentina should be a hell of a match, both can win the group, both can be knocked out. Poland advances with a tie, but Argentina only does if Mexico also ties Saudi Arabia.

Reaction Score
So Australia is through. Group C is wide open. All 4 squads can advance. Poland vs Argentina should be a hell of a match, both can win the group, both can be knocked out. Poland advances with a tie, but Argentina only does if Mexico also ties Saudi Arabia.
A Poland-Argentina draw would also ensure that Argentina do not win Group C and are out of our quadrant of the bracket.

We could have a path to the semis of Netherlands followed by Australia or Poland. Very, very doable.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
We hired a German guy to coach set pieces. And we haven’t seen any rewards.

I like what we see in the middle of the field and in the wide spaces.

But in front of goal we act like we’re trying to walk the ball in. And we are not incident be otherwise.
We used to score on set pieces. Now with the new set piece coach....not so much.

The way we shoot from > 6 feet out.....maybe we need to walk it in?

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
We still can't score. Both (our only 2) goals were scored on counters. Our final third build up play flat out sucks. Our set pieces suck too, but I can see the various breakdowns in service and attacking the ball coming to some anti-suck convergence and delivering a goal as a possibility. I have zero hope of one pf these crosses being delivered on time or the ball not getting caught underfoot or being yeeted out of bounds by one of our many thunderfooted attackers.

The Dutch do have vulnerabilities, they're giving up a ton of shots. Comparisons are being made to the 2014 Belgium game. We weren't the better side, but we had a chance to win or at least take it to penalties.

I'll sign up for penalties right now.

Reaction Score
Refs doing everything to help Arg. Where was the goalies hand supposed to go there? At least he saved that penalty

And re- US not performing well on set pieces. 1 we are short. Not many big hogs taking up space or able to head it
2 delivery hasn't been good

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Refs doing everything to help Arg. Where was the goalies hand supposed to go there? At least he saved that penalty

And re- US not performing well on set pieces. 1 we are short. Not many big hogs taking up space or able to head it
2 delivery hasn't been good

I was thinking that a combo of the weird electronic ball and the poor turf is a possible cause of the inconsistency. Players are saying that it is possible to hit the ball too hard, that might explain the inconsistent crosses.

On the failed US short corner it looked to me like the ball got hung up on the turf. It appeared to skid and wobble instead of rolling true. Could still be a bad kick by CP but he was usually pretty good before the WC.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
So Argentina and Poland will advance. Saudi's just scored to put Mexico behind on goals. They were behind on yellow cards anyway.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom