OT: - World Cup 2018 | Page 12 | The Boneyard

OT: World Cup 2018

Reaction Score
I was just going post that this game is boring and then Nigeria scores one of the prettiest goals of the tournament.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Anderson....to Janeson.....to Cyberson....to Sergerson..

I've no idea how to spell them but it's funny to listen to all the names ending in the same thing.

Reaction Score
That PK was surely a howler.... Nigeria goalie keeps his clean sheet

intlzncster

Reaction Score
wow Shaquiri almost with the goal of the tournament.

Fun match right now.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Wow. That was a monster take down. And the it's the fault of the guy who got body slammed? lol

Shoulda been a PK.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Shaqiri....what a stud. 90th minute. Massive goal. Saved Switzerland's tournament hopes. This group is awesome.

Reaction Score
Odd country to dislike. Not that you have to love them or anything.
I'm part Serb. Switzerland is way too homogeneous for my taste, way too expensive, way too regimented, and the people are too reserved and passive aggressive. They have good chocolate and watches though.

I also like Federer.

Reaction Score
I'm part Serb. Switzerland is way too homogeneous for my taste, way too expensive, way too regimented, and the people are too reserved and passive aggressive.

They have good chocolate and watches though.

I also like Federer.

Can't overlook the army knives, bank accounts and that hole-y cheese either....

Reaction Score
Hope Xhaka and Shaqiri don't get in trouble for the Albanian eagle celebration. I believe they're both Albanian-Kosovan whose families fled the area for Switzerland due to Serbian aggression when that region was still (more?) messed up in the post-Yugoslav years.

Reaction Score
I never understood the narrative that soccer is boring. Especially pro soccer at the highest level.
There are no commercial breaks, except half time, and it's constant action for 90 min. So you get more action, and the game takes far less time than football and baseball.

Talk about wanting to watch paint dry, how about we talk about baseball. I used to love baseball, now I prefer Basketball first, soccer 2nd, and everything else after that. Baseball is 30 seconds of watching a pitcher walk around the mound adjusting his crotch, then 3 seconds of action. Rinse, repeat. And the product is so diluted with 162 games a year, rendering each individual game seemingly meaningless.

Similar deal with football in that there is minimal time of actual action and a lot of standing around and commercials. But football is still far more entertaining than baseball.

For me, and for many of my younger generation-
Soccer>Baseball, hockey, football. Too many stoppages for our attention spans in baseball and football.
Indeed. Settling a 90 minute Zero - Zero tie with penalty kicks is wicked awesome /S

Reaction Score
Hope Xhaka and Shaqiri don't get in trouble for the Albanian eagle celebration. I believe they're both Albanian-Kosovan whose families fled the area for Switzerland due to Serbian aggression when that region was still (more?) messed up in the post-Yugoslav years.

That is waaay more complicated than 'kick it!', steal it!', 'shoot it!'.....

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
Ughhhh, f^k Switzerland. Don't like the whole damn country.

How can you hate a country that looks like this ? One of the best natural landscapes in the world.

upload_2018-6-22_16-22-11.jpeg

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I gave you my reasons, burn it all down.

I'm mostly kidding.

Basically remove most of the the people and you're happy.

Swiss alps are pretty nice

Reaction Score
Anderson....to Janeson.....to Cyberson....to Sergerson.. I've no idea how to spell them but it's funny to listen to all the names ending in the same thing.
With English commentators, some of the attempted Icelandic surname pronunciations are comical. Listening to Telemundo's commentators artfully mangle most of the Icelandic surnames, it's an even bigger laugh, e.g., Gunnarson repeatedly pronounced GOO-nar-son.

Other than the one Icelandic player with a non-son surname (Frederik Schram born in Denmark with Danish father), FC Rostov's Sverrir Ingi Ingason's surname caught my attention. Son-of-mother Inga versus Iceland's more standard and traditional son-of-father surnames.

Mystery solved: Why does every Icelandic World Cup player's last name end in '-son'?

Reaction Score
I'm part Serb. Switzerland is way too homogeneous for my taste...
Irony of ironies much? Yup, some 1st-language German 2/3, French 15%, Italian 10%, etc speaking Swiss aren't so keen on homogenization of milk, cheese, and dairy products. Not so much nationalist, ethnic, and religious genocide, homogenization, etc ... mostly kidding and all :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Iceland, too
Potentially close to gone in Group D, but ĺsland's not out yet and Croatia will likely rest some starters. At this point, 3rd game results and goal differential will still determine which nation joins Hrvatska Vatreni (The Croatian Blazers) in the knockout phase.

"Iceland’s still alive, but needs a win and either Argentina to draw with Nigeria, or for Argentina to beat Nigeria, but by not too many goals. Goal differential is the first group stage tiebreaker, and at this point Iceland has given up two more goals than it has scored, while Argentina is facing a three-goal deficit.

If Nigeria beats Argentina, the Super Eagles advance — and knock Argentina, finalists at the 2014 World Cup in Brazil, out of the tournament. If Argentina wins and Croatia beats or draws with Iceland on Tuesday, Messi still has a chance to win his first World Cup, despite Argentina’s dysfunction in the first two games of the group stage."

intlzncster

Reaction Score
With English commentators, some of the attempted Icelandic surname pronunciations are comical. Listening to Telemundo's commentators artfully mangle most of the Icelandic surnames, it's an even bigger laugh, e.g., Gunnarson repeatedly pronounced GOO-nar-son.

Other than the one Icelandic player with a non-son surname (Frederik Schram born in Denmark with Danish father), FC Rostov's Sverrir Ingi Ingason's surname caught my attention. Son-of-mother Inga versus Iceland's more standard and traditional son-of-father surnames.

Mystery solved: Why does every Icelandic World Cup player's last name end in '-son'?

So it wasn't just in my head!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom