OT: - World Cup 2018 | Page 11 | The Boneyard

OT: World Cup 2018

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Former Yugoslavia countries looking strong. I'd love to see Iceland advance in place of Argentina.

Only guy I feel for is Messi. Sampaoli doesn't seem like he has any idea what he's doing.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Stick a fork in them. They are killing themselves on possible goal differential tie breaker now.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Ha, Argentina just had their 'duke crying kid moment'.

Reaction Score
767CEF94-C447-48CE-91C2-287521B3361B.jpeg

Reaction Score
I guess Messi was right 4 years ago. He should have retired from the national team.

Reaction Score
Oh my the howler from Caballero :eek:

The Cup has been good for vocab growth... howler (always thought it stood for half-sized, 32 oz growler) and cap (which...I guess really is a hat), set piece, and clean sheet. Good times.

I don't know jack about soccer, but enjoying watching this...I have four basic exhortations:
-chuck it! (for throw ins)
-kick it!
-steal it!
-shoot!

...think I'm pretty much set with those.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Only guy I feel for is Messi. Sampaoli doesn't seem like he has any idea what he's doing.
I didn’t think I’d see anything worse than the past three years here at uconn but the way the Argentina coaching staff has totally screwed it up has me amazed and pissed.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I guess Messi was right 4 years ago. He should have retired from the national team.
And you know, I don't even feel all that bad for him. He doesn't seem to be all in.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
And you know, I don't even feel all that bad for him. He doesn't seem to be all in.

How do you figure? Because he missed a PK last match?

Today, Croatia's entire defensive game plan was to limit Messi's touches. They blanketed him with multiple players, while having Rakitic do much of the work on him. He only received 10 passes in the final third. And only touched it twice inside the penalty area. That was brilliant work on Croatia's part.

Croatia's plan was very good. Argentina's was....I don't even know.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Messi looks like he doesn’t want to be there, and Argentina appear to have zero game plan. Clearly something is off with this Argentina team.

Reaction Score
Sampaoli has been in over his head for years. No Di Maria?? WTF

I feel bad for Messi, he has had an amazing club career, but his record in the WC will stain his legacy.

Reaction Score
Clearly something is off with this Argentina team.
Off? So, more or less off than the Argentina team which struggled during CONMEBOL qualifying for the World Cup before rallying to finish with a .500 record and 3rd place finish just ahead of Columbia and Peru which will head home only after qualifying via a FIFA inter-federation playoff win over Oceania Football Federation minnows New Zealand? Maybe Argentina's just not as good as some people wish and others like to believe.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Off? So, more or less off than the Argentina team which struggled during CONMEBOL qualifying for the World Cup before rallying to finish with a .500 record and 3rd place finish just ahead of Columbia and Peru which will head home only after qualifying via a FIFA inter-federation playoff win over Oceania Football Federation minnows New Zealand? Maybe Argentina's just not as good as some people wish and others like to believe.

They are suffering from England syndrome. A great collection of talent but a terrible team. In this case, I think a fair bit of it had to do with the manager.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Brazil had a number of chances throughout the match, but they barely tested Navas. They missed high/wide or put it right at him. Neymar in particular had one or two he should have put home.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom