Words About KO From Ray | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Words About KO From Ray

Reaction Score
I dont understand this thread. The program was in a downward tailspin. It was the result of players and coach. Keeping KO was not an option.

I'm not sure of this reply? No one said keeping him was an option, what did you see?

Reaction Score
Is anyone arguing that keeping KO was preferable to Hurley? Anyone at all?

Gtcam seems to be saying that in thread after thread without coming right out and saying it.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Gtcam seems to be saying that in thread after thread without coming right out and saying it.
I kind of see how'd you say that. I see it as saying his issues, whatever they were, weren't due to effort.

Reaction Score
At his bookstore signing Ray said that KO needs time to chill because he has been basically balls to the wall in his effort for the team, said he should take a lot of time off. If this is true and I suspect it is, it's in contrast to those reports here that KO had gotten lazy and wasn't putting the work in. He didn't address in game coaching. Sometimes effort does not equal success. He also wants Rip to write a book.
Glad you got to attend, thanks for the feedback. I went but found the lines to be too long. I didn’t expect the turnout to be that great, they even sold out of books. I think I saw Rudy there as well. Was Ray signing anything other than books?

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I don't doubt those who said these things had some things correct, he more than likely took his foot off the pedal and shame on him. Was it as bad as many discussed, probably not. Problem is even skipping a beat in that job at such a high level is dangerous and he proved that ultimately I'm afraid. But the way he was portrayed by many is also inexcusable.
Most of us exaggerate things to fit our preferences. There were definitely compelling reasons to move on. But I suspect the majority of things people presented as fact were anything but.

Reaction Score
I had a ticket last night and wasn’t able to make it; I’m bummed I couldn’t get up there. Ray continues to be an amazing UConn ambassador. I know he’s been writing (obviously), but I would love to see him as part of our program at some level.

Reaction Score
Sorry, but Kevin Ollie didn't work hard enough. If he had, there's every chance that he'd still be the coach here.

There's a reason we were recruiting off of Instagram last year.
Watching how unprepared we were on a regular basis made it hard to have confidence that KO and the coaches were burning the midnight oil watching game tapes. 2014 KO May have, but he just wasn’t the same guy anymore.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Sorry, but Kevin Ollie didn't work hard enough. If he had, there's every chance that he'd still be the coach here.

There's a reason we were recruiting off of Instagram last year.

And I'm not sure why anyone would think Ray would know one way or the other. He'd know what Ollie tells him.

Reaction Score
Classic message board tet a tet.
Guy 1 offers definite conclusion based on circumstantial evidence and wild supposition. Believes in his conclusion 100%.
Guy 2 offers opposite conclusion based on circumstantial evidence and wild supposition. Calls Guy 1 an idiot. Believes in his conclusion 100%.
Guy 1 reasserts his conclusion, sans further evidence, and calls Guy 2 and idiot.
Guy 2 reiterates that Guy 1 is the actual idiot.
Guy 3 likes Guy 1's post.
Guy 4 likes Guy 2's post.

Reaction Score
Classic message board tet a tet.
Guy 1 offers definite conclusion based on circumstantial evidence and wild supposition. Believes in his conclusion 100%.
Guy 2 offers opposite conclusion based on circumstantial evidence and wild supposition. Calls Guy 1 an idiot. Believes in his conclusion 100%.
Guy 1 reasserts his conclusion, sans further evidence, and calls Guy 2 and idiot.
Guy 2 reiterates that Guy 1 is the actual idiot.
Guy 3 likes Guy 1's post.
Guy 4 likes Guy 2's post.

Guy 5 proposes how all the idiots replies played out on a separate thread.
Guys 1,2,3 and 4 all are wondering who the idiot really is.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Ok, if it wasn't effort it was competence. At the end of the day, it doesn't matter. The results simply were not satisfactory.
Don't know one way or the other, but I agree with your conclusion.

Reaction Score
I dont understand this thread. The program was in a downward tailspin. It was the result of players and coach. Keeping KO was not an option.
This is thread # 965 in the ongoing KO Rehabilitation movement led by a small cadre of folks that want to portray KO as some kind of victim. The only he's a victim of is his own incompetence.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
If Ollie was working hard (I think he was), it only means he was worse in another aspect of coaching. He lacked something. Good guy. Move on.

I guy trying to drag a refrigerator across a warehouse is "working harder" than a guy who uses handcart to do the job. Ollie was dragging a lot of refrigerators.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I guy trying to drag a refrigerator across a warehouse is "working harder" than a guy who uses handcart to do the job. Ollie was dragging a lot of refrigerators.

Handcarts are for cowards.

#noescalatorsorhandcarts

Reaction Score
At his bookstore signing Ray said that KO needs time to chill because he has been basically balls to the wall in his effort for the team, said he should take a lot of time off. If this is true and I suspect it is, it's in contrast to those reports here that KO had gotten lazy and wasn't putting the work in. He didn't address in game coaching. Sometimes effort does not equal success. He also wants Rip to write a book.

What Ray knows about the team and its' last season, he's likely gotten directly from KO. I do believe that KO probably did put everything he had into this season, knowing his job was on the line, but hard work couldn't overcome the roster make-up, injuries and head scratching line ups and substitutions. Absolutely agree effort doesn't = success.

Yankees32123

'99, '04, '11, '14, '23, ‘24
Reaction Score
Does Ray live in CT? I think his mom is still here.
He splits time between Old Saybrook and Miami, I think his kids go to school in Miami. I'm from Old Saybrook and see him at a pizza place by the train station from time to time.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
You don't get it. His resentment doesn't support retaining KO. Same with mau and stationmaster. They argued against fan behavior that was and still is behavior that is a poor look for UConn.

When Bazely decommited from Syracuse several UConn fans went to the Cuse board to observe their crying. That's the look fans who hate our program love to see when they come to this forum. The record these past two seasons was the cake. Our whining was the icing.

During the last two seasons there were games that were decent. In my book a fan of the program doesn't isolate themselves to one myopic position. A fan of the program supports the players, coaches and outcomes in a positive way, even as they critique things negatively. It's called balance. The anti KO sentiment was so strong people avoided the win threads. Tell me how that backs up the players? Or the program? Or future coaches and players?

Tell me how it benefits the program or helps Hurley when UConn fans dismiss any of KO's accomplishments. If Hurley goes to a recruit and says two UConn coaches have been able to win NCs at UConn (an argument some posters refute when they refuse to give KO any credit) don't you think that helps him more to convince a recruit about the UConn brand than if NCs are all about one coach? I do.

Reaction Score
To the OP, these positions are meat grinders. Leadership is never easy and being in the public eye like these positions are just magnifies the challenges. I'm by no means making excuses for KO. You have to perform as the HC of a UCONN basketball program. If you don't, you need to step aside or understand you will be pushed aside. I'm simply saying that KO may be a very good person and a very capable basketball guy. He may simply not have been ready or not a good fit as the HC of a program such as UCONN.

The lack of empathy from many is a bit of a head scratcher for me. I know I don't always succeed as a leader. I'm very grateful for the fact that when I don't perform particularly well most of the media in the northeast isn't pointing their finger at me.

Let's hope the guy gets back on his feet and back into a basketball setting that is enriching for him.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom