Words About KO From Ray | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Words About KO From Ray

Reaction Score
You don't understand the thread, that's true. Neither the thread, nor any posts in it, state that keeping KO was an option.
Then the thread is pointless

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I don't doubt those who said these things had some things correct, he more than likely took his foot off the pedal and shame on him. Was it as bad as many discussed, probably not. Problem is even skipping a beat in that job at such a high level is dangerous and he proved that ultimately I'm afraid. But the way he was portrayed by many is also inexcusable.
And we'll never really know if he took his foot off.

I'm not doubting people have inside sources and some of our posters are accurately relaying to us what those sources believe. But sources are human. Inside sources can do what we observe people do in this forum. They can misinterpret things or make claims that are exaggerated or fabricated because they felt slighted or ignored. That's why I brought up the Jerome Dyson situation. There were probably several hundred posters who vocalized in this forum their disgust with him and blamed that season on him. It has ended but it demonstrates how our emotions reduce our criticisms to diatribe.

Reaction Score
Do people here ever waver in their commitment to their job? My guess is yes, otherwise the traffic on this board wouldn't be what it is.

Even if we're going to interpret the situation in the most cynical way possible and say he was a lazy guy who willfully allowed the program to crumble under his watch, the reaction here is still way over the top because he suffered the consequences. That is different from saying you have to like him, but this idea that he's the first person to ever get complacent on the job and how it personally offends everyone here so much is kind of weird. He annoyed the hell out of me at times too. He ruined my March a couple times too. I can still sit back and go "OK, that sucked but it wasn't the worst thing in the world and the good he has done here still outweighs the bad by a billion."

Reaction Score
Do people here ever waver in their commitment to their job? My guess is yes, otherwise the traffic on this board wouldn't be what it is.

Even if we're going to interpret the situation in the most cynical way possible and say he was a lazy guy who willfully allowed the program to crumble under his watch, the reaction here is still way over the top because he suffered the consequences. That is different from saying you have to like him, but this idea that he's the first person to ever get complacent on the job and how it personally offends everyone here so much is kind of weird. He annoyed the hell out of me at times too. He ruined my March a couple times too. I can still sit back and go "OK, that sucked but it wasn't the worst thing in the world and the good he has done here still outweighs the bad by a billion."
You're also someone who would still give a lifetime contract to KO, that's insane to most of us.

ctchamps

Reaction Score

My guess is no. I always posted after work not during work. ;)

ctchamps

Reaction Score
You're also someone who would still give a lifetime contract to KO, that's insane to most of us.
Let's hope that Hurley turns things around. You're whining made me cringe almost as much as these past seasons. There is nothing you have done that makes me believe you won't do the same if Hurley flounders.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Geesh, do you really want to do this? Let's look at your post and one you responded to again:

View attachment 30268
What do you think the "it" refers to in the phrase "will not let it go"? The prior post, right? What was the topic of that post? Keeping KO.

That said. What were you actually trying to say then?

The KO is "one of us" crowd continuously bring him as if they keep talking about him history will be different. Let it go it's over KO has moved on UConn has done the same. Hence the won't let it go. It being the fact that KO was the coach here.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
If you are always negative, you will be right sometimes.
It doesn't make you smart.

I said a long time ago, just because I realized KO could not coach the team, does not mean I agreed with the group that was calling for his head for 6 years.

I would like them to complete their victory lap and I would like the defenders to stop.

Move on.

Reaction Score
Let's hope that Hurley turns things around. You're whining made me cringe almost as much as these past seasons. There is nothing you have done that makes me believe you won't do the same if Hurley flounders.
Whining? Telling you that our old coach was in way over his head well over a year ago and that Hurley would be our new coach.

Also, who are you?

Reaction Score
The KO is "one of us" crowd continuously bring him as if they keep talking about him history will be different. Let it go it's over KO has moved on UConn has done the same. Hence the won't let it go. It being the fact that KO was the coach here.
Eerily reminiscent of the Connecticut high school football coaches and Paul Pasqualoni.

ctchamps

Reaction Score

I said a long time ago, just because I realized KO could not coach the team, does not mean I agreed with the group that was calling for his head for 6 years.

I would like them to complete their victory lap and I would like the defenders to stop.

Move on.
I have to disagree with you on this one. We should be able to handle opposing viewpoints. And I don't believe anyone should dictate censorship.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

Move on.

No one was calling for his head for six years.

Stop whining.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Whining? Telling you that our old coach was in way over his head well over a year ago and that Hurley would be our new coach.

Also, who are you?
That's not whining. More of a reference to you losing it and promising you were never going to post here again. And the hundreds of times before that where you complained. Complaining about the same thing over and over again when results are not attainable is my definition of whining.

Reaction Score
This is thread # 965 in the ongoing KO Rehabilitation movement led by a small cadre of folks that want to portray KO as some kind of victim. The only he's a victim of is his own incompetence.

A lot of people would kill to be Peter-Principled into a multi-million-dollar salary.

He is no victim.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Well he was a coach here, right? I think it is enough to have replaced him. No need to drop his picture and bio down the memory hole right?

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Well he was a coach here, right? I think it is enough to have replaced him. No need to drop his picture and bio down the memory hole right?

Yes but why does that matter now? He isn't the coach any longer and while he was here it wasn't a good coach outside of the championship which I do not give him much credit for. (My opinion not going to debate it)

His memory should be that he won us a championship nothing further.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
I hope you realize that you are asking others to do what you can't do.

Reaction Score
I hope KO's able to take a couple of years off and find some peace, and then on the other side of it is able to find the perfect job for himself. I also hope that someday he comes back to Gampel and the crowd gives him a standing ovation.

I'm very excited for the Hurley era.

Reaction Score
I'm not in a position to know if KO killed himself with effort in his job with us but maybe Ray is. The only people who could shed light on it probably aren't talking, guys like Glenn Miller and last years assistant coaches so many are correct in saying that speculation is useless, but Ray was defending KO's effort saying he should take a year off. Coming out of a North Korean prison you might need a year off, basketball coaching not so much.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Yes but why does that matter now? He isn't the coach any longer and while he was here it wasn't a good coach outside of the championship which I do not give him much credit for. (My opinion not going to debate it)

His memory should be that he won us a championship nothing further.
His memory should be whatever people want it to be. How about he was an important player for UConn. How about he helped the UConn program with his NBA career.

It matters not what defenders or attackers of KO write. All of us fall victim one time or another with having a need to defend our viewpoint and take it personally when people disagree with us.

BTW kudos to @JMick. He led the last push to get fans to speak with one voice in removing KO. I thought it was a foolish concept. I believe he's over valuing the importance of Boneyard's opinions. Also didn't like the way he felt it was necessary to "bully" people into agreeing with him. But in this thread he didn't feel the need to attack people with opposing viewpoints.

He had an objective, feels he won, and legitimately has moved on. I'm impressed.

C

Chief00

Not surprised by this at all. Taken with JC's recent comments and the players reaction at the Hurley announcement, the evidence is piling up that the negative reaction in this forum was primarily fans building up a case to get their way as opposed to the actual situation.

People conveniently forget that Chief00 was not alone in making the claim Dyson was a horrible player because he never contributed to a final four. They brought up his outside behavior and lack of discipline at the time. All but one fan has dismissed that as nonsense. These were totally irrational claims that jaded fans needed to make because they needed to find a scapegoat for a season that ruined their happiness.

So in your World, walking intoxicated into a hotel lobby 8 hours before leaving for a noon game is ok.

Also in your World, Calhoun never suspended that player for failing drug tests.

All that is “nonsense” you say? It’s funny because a couple of years ago Jerome was very honest about some mistakes he made regarding game prep. His coach said Jerome always played hard but questions about his game prep or putting in extra hours was fair.

Actually what I said was JD did not win an NCAA tournament game. Therefore, I could not understand why others felt we would have won the F4 if he wasn’t injured. Personally, I think we would not have gotten that far because Stanley never would have blossom and we wouldn’t have had the team play.

Last edited by a moderator:

ctchamps

Reaction Score
I hope KO's able to take a couple of years off and find some peace, and then on the other side of it is able to find the perfect job for himself. I also hope that someday he comes back to Gampel and the crowd gives him a standing ovation.

I'm very excited for the Hurley era.
I don't know if he needs some time off. Either way I'm with you and hope he can be successful in some other capacity.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
So in your World, walking intoxicated into a hotel lobby 8 hours before leaving for a noon game is ok.

Also in your World, Calhoun never suspended that player for failing drug tests.

All that is “nonsense” you say? It’s funny because a couple of years ago Jerome was very honest about some mistakes he made regarding game prep. His coach said Jerome always played hard but questions about his game prep or putting in extra hours was fair.
I don't think those behaviors are right.

Singling him out when so many fans went to school with other players and report similar behaviors by them is my issue. There were a lot of reasons for that season. You made him the the single reason for that dismal season.

You were the individual who incited the pitchfork crowd. You're behavior during that episode was every bit as bad if not worse than what you feel Jerome did. And you still struggle to move on.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
KO was on top of the world in 2014. The next 4 years were a personal and professional disaster. I'm sure he took it hard. He deserves a break. Hopefully he will be welcomed back when decides to resurface.

Reaction Score
You don't get it. His resentment doesn't support retaining KO. Same with mau and stationmaster. They argued against fan behavior that was and still is behavior that is a poor look for UConn.

When Bazely decommited from Syracuse several UConn fans went to the Cuse board to observe their crying. That's the look fans who hate our program love to see when they come to this forum. The record these past two seasons was the cake. Our whining was the icing.

During the last two seasons there were games that were decent. In my book a fan of the program doesn't isolate themselves to one myopic position. A fan of the program supports the players, coaches and outcomes in a positive way, even as they critique things negatively. It's called balance. The anti KO sentiment was so strong people avoided the win threads. Tell me how that backs up the players? Or the program? Or future coaches and players?

Tell me how it benefits the program or helps Hurley when UConn fans dismiss any of KO's accomplishments. If Hurley goes to a recruit and says two UConn coaches have been able to win NCs at UConn (an argument some posters refute when they refuse to give KO any credit) don't you think that helps him more to convince a recruit about the UConn brand than if NCs are all about one coach? I do.

KO deserves credit for what he accomplished his first two seasons, including a National Championship.

The next 4 seasons as a whole were basically a disaster. UConn played in a TOTAL of 3 postseason games over that 4 year period, and that includes the NIT.

I am happy to give KO credit for not only the National Championship season, but also his initial 20 win season. Unfortunately, there wasn't much to be optimistic about after 2014 and that's why the Ollie defenders get whalloped in every one of these debates.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom