WNBA thread | Page 18 | The Boneyard

WNBA thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

wolfe613

Charles wrecked the Storm. In this case 1>3 in terms of UConn alums.

I'm gonna need @Dokey to explain to me one more time how much better KLS is than Talbot. Katie Lou scored 2 points in 19 minutes. Talbot scored 5 in 6 minutes. Neither had an assist. KLS did grab more rebounds, but so what.
When I looked at odds to win it all was astonished to see Washington a heavy favorite at even and Seattle +250, guess they know what they're talking about

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Charles wrecked the Storm. In this case 1>3 in terms of UConn alums.
Wow, rarely have I read "wrecked" as being almost polite. Tina did this:
  • Hit 5 of 6 from three-point land and 14-25 overall en route to 34 points. (In fact, the only down part of her game was going 1-3 from the line)
  • Grabbed 16 rebounds and had 2 steals.
Saw some other points of interest:
  • Theresa Plaisance didn't shoot well overall last night, but hit a clutch three and a layup at the end of the game. She also snared 9 rebounds in nearly 36 minutes. Kept her legs. Until Hines-Allen comes back, she's invaluable....
  • Per that point, Megan Gustafson snared 6 rebounds in 10 minutes while giving TC and Tyler Phommachanh a chance for a sip of water on the bench. She's a quick study and could give some minutes.

As per Seattle:
  • Save for Dupree and Talbot, no one shot particularly well. Mystics are peskly.
  • The hone team must be responsible for the post-game video summaries. If you watch what's on WNBA site, you'd think the Storm won this game going away for most of the tape. Feels like they went back to drop in Tina threes.

Reaction Score
When I looked at odds to win it all was astonished to see Washington a heavy favorite at even and Seattle +250, guess they know what they're talking about
I think the odds maker thought that EDD and Clark would play this season. The Mystics have a whopping 5 players out with injuries.

Reaction Score
Seattle made a couple of mistakes this year, signing Dupree, and still have my doubts about Quinn as a head coach.
Giving someone with that little experience the job as Head Coach of a Championship team is usually a recipe for disaster.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
  • Hit 5 of 6 from three-point land and 14-25 overall en route to 34 points. (In fact, the only down part of her game was going 1-3 from the line)
  • Theresa Plaisance didn't shoot well overall last night, but hit a clutch three and a layup at the end of the game. She also snared 9 rebounds in nearly 36 minutes. Kept her legs. Until Hines-Allen comes back, she's invaluable....
  • Per that point, Megan Gustafson snared 6 rebounds in 10 minutes while giving TC and Tyler Phommachanh a chance for a sip of water on the bench. She's a quick study and could give some minutes.

As per Seattle:
  • Save for Dupree and Talbot, no one shot particularly well. Mystics are peskly.
  • The hone team must be responsible for the post-game video summaries. If you watch what's on WNBA site, you'd think the Storm won this game going away for most of the tape. Feels like they went back to drop in Tina threes.
Don't leave out Leilani Mitchell and her 5 3's and 19 pts/7 assists. 2nd highest scorer after Charles for the Mystics last night.

Hmm, Loyd's 8-18 and 5-9 from 3 looks like relatively good shooting for the Storm. Magbegor was 2-3, Russell 5-8, Stewie's 5-12 isn't exactly poor shooting.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Seattle made a couple of mistakes this year, signing Dupree, and still have my doubts about Quinn as a head coach.
Giving someone with that little experience the job as Head Coach of a Championship team is usually a recipe for disaster.
I was and still am questioning that promotion as well.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Don't leave out Leilani Mitchell and her 5 3's and 19 pts/7 assists. 2nd highest scorer after Charles for the Mystics last night.

Hmm, Loyd's 8-18 and 5-9 from 3 looks like relatively good shooting for the Storm. Magbegor was 2-3, Russell 5-8, Stewie's 5-12 isn't exactly poor shooting.

Aw, NWhoopfan, you're inserting your words/interpretations of what I wrote to make your points. :rolleyes: ;)

Let's try this again. I wrote "no one shot particularly well" for the Storm. And I was writing it in reference/contrast to Tina Charles, who has a flat-out bravura performance. No, Stewie and Russell didn't have a "poor shooting" night. But I didn't say that -- you did.

As per Leilani Mitchell, thanks for including. Still, my initial intent was not to do an overall game summary: it was to focus on things that caught my attention. First and foremost was Tina. And I like how Plaisance is tryng to do her American version of Emma M.

Look forward to your insights....

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Didn't mean to put words in your mouth @Dillon77 . I didn't get a chance to watch the game. From box score it looks like Seattle wasn't bad, just not good enough to overcome Charles' monster night and a few other key contributions for the Mystics.

Reaction Score
Don’t know about revitalized, she’s always been great. Tina consistently plays well and improves and add things to her game every year
Agreed. I think she's just being utilized better and has better players and coaches surrounding her. She didnt have any help her last few years in NY. She deserves this.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Big Syl is trying to top Charles' monster game from last night. 18 pts/10 reb/3 blocks...at the half!

Aari McDonald w/ 10 at the mid point is well on her way to a career high.

Dream leading the Lynx by 6.

Reaction Score

As per Seattle:
Not thrilled at where Gustafson wound up but the way things are, any time is good time. I hope she finds her place out here.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
The WNBA is so deep that if a team is going to have an A+ performance like Washington had last night, Seattle having a slightly sub-par performance can go down. Seattle even lost to Indiana last year.

That being said, I think when healthy it's clear Seattle/LV/Connecticut are best three teams in the league (no set order), and Indiana is the worst. The standings for teams 4-10 can be flipped after just one night of games.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
The WNBA is so deep that if a team is going to have an A+ performance like Washington had last night, Seattle having a slightly sub-par performance can go down. Seattle even lost to Indiana last year.

That being said, I think when healthy it's clear Seattle/LV/Connecticut are best three teams in the league (no set order), and Indiana is the worst. The standings for teams 4-10 can be flipped after just one night of games.
Chicago is on a 6 game win streak...they're definitely in the mix.

Reaction Score
Washington lost to Indiana this year.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
Indeed, indeed they did.

@bballnut90 Chicago is looking impressive lately; i think they could take up a spot in a "top 4," but I'm still waiting for them to have a "signature" win--two wins against a Connecticut team without Jonquel Jones don't quite make it for me. I am very open to being proven wrong.

Last edited:
W

wolfe613

You forgot Washington, when healthy nobody stopping that duo of Delle Donne Charles

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Stat of the day: Chicago is 7-0 with Candace Parker, 1-7 without.
With C. Parker
The Sky beat the Mystics on opening day. The Mystics started out 2-5
The Sky beat Indiana in back to back games. Indiana is 1-14
The Sky beat Minnesota. The Lynx were 4-5 coming into that game
The Sky beat the Sun twice. The Sky were 8-3 when they beat them, but did not have Jonquil Jones in either game. The Sun are 1-3 without JJ.

I do think the Sky can win it all, but will wait to see how they do vs The Aces and Storm and other teams with healthy rosters.

W

wolfe613

the Indiana Fever are the worst team in WNBA history, I think they should just clean house

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
the Indiana Fever are the worst team in WNBA history, I think they should just clean house

I'm watching them now. I was gonna say the same thing. They're a hot mess, They seem to play together about half the time. The other half it's like they've left their brains at home. They have some good players; in fact, on paper they have quite a lot of talent. But they lack attention to detail.

It spells poor coaching to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69