WNBA thread | Page 15 | The Boneyard

WNBA thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
The last game was a bit frustrating because they never got Lou to post up inside whereas Talbot got multiple opportunities inside. :confused:

Until Lou really embodies an attack mentality, she will continue to hover on the 3 pt line, be content to be a passer and be at the mercy of her outside shooting which may or may not be good on a given night . She should take to heart how aggressive Napheesa was in the Sky game.
Lou and Napheesa are very different players with different expectations on their respective teams. Napheesa should be the #1 or #2 scoring option for the Lynx while Lou is option #4 or #5 for the Storm. She'll often be asked to space the floor to give Stewie or Loyd room to operate. Lou needs to be ready to make the open shots that she'll get when teams double on Stewie. Using Lou's size to post up smaller guards is something we'll see the Storm do more. After losing Howard and Clark, the Storm are still a work-in-progress this season.

W

wolfe613

LOL. You're too much. You said her scoring "keeps going dowm (sic)" which is demonstrably false. Then you change the argument. No one has claimed her average is "groundbreaking" but you know th

The last game was a bit frustrating because they never got Lou to post up inside whereas Talbot got multiple opportunities inside. :confused:

Until Lou really embodies an attack mentality, she will continue to hover on the 3 pt line, be content to be a passer and be at the mercy of her outside shooting which may or may not be good on a given night . She should take to heart how aggressive Napheesa was in the Sky game.
yep agree completely, I remember when I saw her as a soph idk how many it was but perfect from 3 vs USF and I was like wow this player is gonna be no doubt #1 pick when she goes into the WNBA draft, but I've never seen that type of agressiveness from her anymore. Even after final 4 loses Geno would say, he was expecting her to take over games but she just didn't have that quality. Again in the Wnba was expecting her to be more agressive but it just hasn't happened. Again it's not a knock she still might have a solid career, but definitely the expectations for her were bigger than where she is at and that's a good thing. You should want her to be way better than she is

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
yep agree completely, I remember when I saw her as a soph idk how many it was but perfect from 3 vs USF and I was like wow this player is gonna be no doubt #1 pick when she goes into the WNBA draft, but I've never seen that type of agressiveness from her anymore. Even after final 4 loses Geno would say, he was expecting her to take over games but she just didn't have that quality. Again in the Wnba was expecting her to be more agressive but it just hasn't happened. Again it's not a knock she still might have a solid career, but definitely the expectations for her were bigger than where she is at and that's a good thing. You should want her to be way better than she is

Which college team are you a fan of?

W

wolfe613

Which college team are you a fan of?
So because I have a different opinion from you now that means that I root for another school? Incredible, first and foremost I am a fan of the game. You can't just say I disagree with what you say and move on? Don't worry tho I'm not an irish,sc or any Uconn rival in wbb fan so you can stop accusing I'm hating on Uconn women's players.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
So because I have a different opinion from you now that means that I root for another school? Incredible, first and foremost I am a fan of the game. You can't just say I disagree with what you say and move on? Don't worry tho I'm not an irish,sc or any Uconn rival in wbb fan so you can stop accusing I'm hating on Uconn women's players.
You just seem to be on here dogging UConn players and posters. Just looking for perspective. That's all. Most here are up front about that. No need to hide it.

W

wolfe613

You just seem to be on here dogging UConn players and posters. Just looking for perspective. That's all. Most here are up front about that. No need to hide it.
yep that must be it, eventho 2 of my fave players ever are Kelly Faris and Paige

Reaction Score
I have a lot of thoughts about KLS, as she is one of my favorite huskies to ever don the husky uniform. I agree, as a sophomore she seemed to be on track to be a NPOY candidate. Even as a junior, I thought she was right there with (I believe) Aja Wilson. I recall watching her absolutely torch Louisville in Gampel. It seems like her shooting has never been the same since that infamous ankle injury.

That being said, I think there are definitely players who fit systems really well. Samuelson was that at Uconn. She is a great passer, has the ability to handle the ball, and rarely turns the ball over. Those are qualities that will allow you to excel at Uconn. She also was an above average outside shooter, and had the length to get to the midrange/basket against college level talent. Thats a bigger ask in the WNBA.

I can't recall Geno specifically saying she didn't have a killer mentality, but I do remember that sentiment constantly brought up on this board. I never fully agreed. She scored 20 second half points against ND in her final collegiate game, played through the flu to hold off Maryland as a sophomore, came up big down in Texas, and against Louisville in the elite eight, she nearly single handedly punched our ticket to the final four. She was a big part of what kept Connecticut relevant in the years between Stewart and Bueckers. Could she have done more, probably, but she certainly was a great college player. Not as clutch as a Diana, but someone I'm glad came to Uconn.

In the W, she has struggled. I think it all stems from the inability to get her shot off in one v one situations. If the outside shot isn't falling, it's going to be hard for her to be productive offensively since that is her best option. Reminds me of KML, honestly. I think you are absolutely correct, she needs to be more aggressive offensively. But I do see her being a role player in the W for many years. On Seattle she isn't needed to be a 15ppg scorer and third option. She's #4/5 in terms of options, so I'd just like to see her play solid defense, make the right passes, and knock down open looks. She does that and she might be on her way to a championship ring.

W

wolfe613

I have a lot of thoughts about KLS, as she is one of my favorite huskies to ever don the husky uniform. I agree, as a sophomore she seemed to be on track to be a NPOY candidate. Even as a junior, I thought she was right there with (I believe) Aja Wilson. I recall watching her absolutely torch Louisville in Gampel. It seems like her shooting has never been the same since that infamous ankle injury.

That being said, I think there are definitely players who fit systems really well. Samuelson was that at Uconn. She is a great passer, has the ability to handle the ball, and rarely turns the ball over. Those are qualities that will allow you to excel at Uconn. She also was an above average outside shooter, and had the length to get to the midrange/basket against college level talent. Thats a bigger ask in the WNBA.

I can't recall Geno specifically saying she didn't have a killer mentality, but I do remember that sentiment constantly brought up on this board. I never fully agreed. She scored 20 second half points against ND in her final collegiate game, played through the flu to hold off Maryland as a sophomore, came up big down in Texas, and against Louisville in the elite eight, she nearly single handedly punched our ticket to the final four. She was a big part of what kept Connecticut relevant in the years between Stewart and Bueckers. Could she have done more, probably, but she certainly was a great college player. Not as clutch as a Diana, but someone I'm glad came to Uconn.

In the W, she has struggled. I think it all stems from the inability to get her shot off in one v one situations. If the outside shot isn't falling, it's going to be hard for her to be productive offensively since that is her best option. Reminds me of KML, honestly. I think you are absolutely correct, she needs to be more aggressive offensively. But I do see her being a role player in the W for many years. On Seattle she isn't needed to be a 15ppg scorer and third option. She's #4/5 in terms of options, so I'd just like to see her play solid defense, make the right passes, and knock down open looks. She does that and she might be on her way to a championship ring.

To be fair she wasn't the only one he said needed that, I believe it was after the 2019 loss he said he was waiting for someone to step up to the challenge and nobody did.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Guess we are seeing different games. Talbot has almost no rebounds, assists, etc. Her shooting has been relatively good but that is her only contribution on the offensive side of the floor and her defense is non-existent. I actually see Stewie scored on more than KLS. So the stats when KLS wasn’t off at the 3x3 games heavily, repeat heavily, favor her over Talbot. Not only has KLS upped her rebounding game, her passing continues to be excellent.
Don't take my word for it, look at the team stats.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Okay BY, seriously nobody is gonna mention Kelsey Plum's game last night?

She went OFF. That looked like the KP I watched wearing purple and gold on Montlake. 32 pts., 11-16 shooting, unstoppable from the moment she entered the game. Just missed setting a WNBA record for most points in a game by a bench player. When she came in LV was behind. With her on the floor all of the second quarter, they had the lead at the half. She quickly replaced Williams in Q3 and soon it turned into a blowout.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score

She went OFF. That looked like the KP I watched wearing purple and gold on Montlake. 32 pts., 11-16 shooting, unstoppable from the moment she entered the game. Just missed setting a WNBA record for most points in a game by a bench player. When she came in LV was behind. With her on the floor all of the second quarter, they had the lead at the half. She quickly replaced Williams in Q3 and soon it turned into a blowout.

Plum has been slowed by injuries, but I remember watching the Vegas/DC semifinal series in 2019, and I thought she was best player on the court for Vegas that series. (In the 2019 playoffs, she averaged 15ppg, 8apg, while shooting 50% from both the field and 3pt).

It does seem that for some players (including Vegas's other #1 pick in the backcourt, Jackie Young) Year 3 is when things really start cooking. (See also: Mabrey, Marina).

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score

I guess she should have blocked A'ja Wilson on twitter a long time ago if it produced that kind of results ;)

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Plum has been slowed by injuries, but I remember watching the Vegas/DC semifinal series in 2019, and I thought she was best player on the court for Vegas that series. (In the 2019 playoffs, she averaged 15ppg, 8apg, while shooting 50% from both the field and 3pt).

It does seem that for some players (including Vegas's other #1 pick in the backcourt, Jackie Young) Year 3 is when things really start cooking. (See also: Mabrey, Marina).

Marina and Jackie were pretty good last year tbh. But with McCoughtry out in Vegas, Young has a bigger role. And Mabrey thrived with a bigger role when Gray was out for the 3x3 tourney.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Marina and Jackie were pretty good last year tbh. But with McCoughtry out in Vegas, Young has a bigger role. And Mabtey thrived with a bigger role when Gray was out for the 3x3 tourney.
What’s interesting to me is that, of the five 2019 ND draftees, Jessica Shepard has been least impactful. Granted, she’s been injured a bit, but even in the games she’s played I’d say that’s true. She was fantastic at ND in her years there; I would never have thought Mabrey and Turner would end up better pros (and they look to be at this point in their careers).

Reaction Score
What’s interesting to me is that, of the five 2019 ND draftees, Jessica Shepard has been least impactful. Granted, she’s been injured a bit, but even in the games she’s played I’d say that’s true. She was fantastic at ND in her years there; I would never have thought Mabrey and Turner would end up better pros (and they look to be at this point in their careers).

She tore her ACL after only a few games her rookie year, didn't play last year and after a few games this year has been injured. I'd she it's kinda hard to have any impact when you aren't playing.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score

I'd concentrate on that "injured a bit": she went down with a major injury in her pro career just as it was starting. She had that ACL injury a mere 5 or 6 games into her rookie year in June 2019. She lost the rest of that season, as well as the 2020 season in Florida. She was able to come back and play -- I believe -- in Israel. So, she made it back to the WNBA nearly two years after her injury. Not really a stretch for me to see how it was going to take some time to get back. Then, she gets a groin injury, which will be a nag (at the least) for this season.

By contrast, Mabrey and Turner were able to play in two WNBA seasons and overseas (at least one of those winters) to work on their games. Mabrey played all of the guard positions while in Europe (which you can see on full display) and Turner had a superb season in the Aussie League (same year that Kia Nurse did).

Knock on wood, I'm hoping Jess gets a chance to come back and show her stuff.

Last edited:

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
Marina and Jackie were pretty good last year tbh. But with McCoughtry out in Vegas, Young has a bigger role. And Mabtey thrived with a bigger role when Gray was out for the 3x3 tourney.
I agree, but it seems like they've both really taken it to another level this year.

Reaction Score
Anyone know why Charles is inactive for the game against Atlanta?
WashMystics star Tina Charles will miss a game this Thursday to attend the premiere of “Game Changer” — a film she directed and produced — at NYC’s Tribeca Film Festival. The 2012 @WNBA MVP currently leads the league with 24.0 PPG.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom