WNBA thread | Page 11 | The Boneyard

WNBA thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
I don't think James Wade should be fired.

But if WNBA teams fired coaches like Premier League teams sack managers, he'd be gone already.

Roman Abramovich would never tolerate 7 straight losses no matter who was injured.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
I think it's time to say A'Ja Wilson is the best player in the WNBA!
? Wilson has better shooting percentages than Stewart. Stewart has better scoring average, more offensive rebounds per game, more defensive rebounds per game, more blocks pg, more steals pg, fewer turnovers pg and better efficiency per game.

Efficiency is a more revealing stat than shooting percentages, and Jones is significantly better than either Stewart or Wilson right now. If you want to make a prematurely authoritative statement based on one stat, may I suggest you use J Jones as your fuel.

Reaction Score
? Wilson has better shooting percentages than Stewart. Stewart has better scoring average, more offensive rebounds per game, more defensive rebounds per game, more blocks pg, more steals pg, fewer turnovers pg and better efficiency per game.

Efficiency is a more revealing stat than shooting percentages, and Jones is significantly better than either Stewart or Wilson right now. If you want to make a prematurely authoritative statement based on one stat, may I suggest you use J Jones as your fuel.
Good points overall.

Worth noting Wilson is sharing the floor with a 6’8” player who’s a pretty good rebounder herself so I have difficulty conceding the RPG point although I agree that Stewart’s overall game is a bit more diversified and efficient at this point in time.

Jones looks incredible this year and honestly has for a few seasons now, although this start is by far her best production. It’s crazy to me that she used to come off the bench as a sixth woman.

Reaction Score
I think it's time to say A'Ja Wilson is the best player in the WNBA!

She’s not even better than Breanna Stewart, Jonquel Jones, Candace Parker, and a healthy Elena Delle Donne.

On the Aces maybe, but one could argue Liz is better when she’s in shape and playing at the top of her game.

Reaction Score
Good points overall.

Worth noting Wilson is sharing the floor with a 6’8” player who’s a pretty good rebounder herself so I have difficulty conceding the RPG point although I agree that Stewart’s overall game is a bit more diversified and efficient at this point in time.

Jones looks incredible this year and honestly has for a few seasons now, although this start is by far her best production. It’s crazy to me that she used to come off the bench as a sixth woman.
Stewie does things only EDD, and Parker do as bigs, get the defensive rebound and bring the ball up the floor.

Reaction Score
Just finished watching the 1st 3 quarters of the Seattle and Dallas game. Dupree needs to be gone, Seattle should just take the hit. Admit they made a mistake, and waive Dupree. Every minute she was in the game was a disaster.

Reaction Score
WNBA 2021 score leader, A'J is only #10.

WNBA score leader.png

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Where are we in the WNBA season? 1/4 of the way? We've got all the latecomers from FIBA back and working their way into meshing with their teams, so I'd like to see how things play out a little deeper into the season.

From what I've seen, most of the better teams in the league have a star, for sure. But they also have a very, very good player right next to them. Some examples from the multiple games I've seen:

• Stewie and Jewell from Seattle, easily two of the most technical and clutch players on the planet. Stewie is great on all ends but Jewell is doing a great Scottie Pippen;
  • Cambage and Wilson. Wilson and Cambage. I thought Liz was the stronger of the two yesterday. But that could change next game. Hope Jackie Young is not hurt for too long for both of their sakes.
  • They're battening the hatches in Phoenix until DT comes back but they've looked pretty good at 3-1 without her. Kia's stepped up and Brianna Turner does so much dirty work she should have a sandbox named after her. However, credit to Griner and Diggins-Smith for leading the charge.
  • Heidemann has stepped up her game for Conn, but Jonquel Jones is beyond exceptional. For those who may remember, I thought she was the steal of that draft and she's been upwards and onwards since then.
  • Lastly, Tina's looking good indeed for the Mystics but the team will be more effective with Hines-Allen (the Charles Oakley of the WNBA) rounding into form. Once EDD comes back., whew. And if Meesemann comes....wow.
  • Witholding comment on Chicago because Parker was only there for one (1) game.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Where are we in the WNBA season? 1/4 of the way? We've got all the latecomers from FIBA back and working their way into meshing with their teams, so I'd like to see how things play out a little deeper into the season.

From what I've seen, most of the better teams in the league have a star, for sure. But they also have a very, very good player right next to them. Some examples from the multiple games I've seen:

• Stewie and Jewell from Seattle, easily two of the most technical and clutch players on the planet. Stewie is great on all ends but Jewell is doing a great Scottie Pippen;
  • Cambage and Wilson. Wilson and Cambage. I thought Liz was the stronger of the two yesterday. But that could change next game. Hope Jackie Young is not hurt for too long for both of their sakes.
  • They're battening the hatches in Phoenix until DT comes back but they've looked pretty good at 3-1 without her. Kia's stepped up and Brianna Turner does so much dirty work she should have a sandbox named after her. However, credit to Griner and Diggins-Smith for leading the charge.
  • Heidemann has stepped up her game for Conn, but Jonquel Jones is beyond exceptional. For those who may remember, I thought she was the steal of that draft and she's been upwards and onwards since then.
  • Lastly, Tina's looking good indeed for the Mystics but the team will be more effective with Hines-Allen (the Charles Oakley of the WNBA) rounding into form. Once EDD comes back., whew. And if Meesemann comes....wow.
Good analysis, but the guestion with EDD will she ever come back? Back surgeries for basketball players can be a problem. Even though it's not considered a contact sport, for the professionals, it is.

CompSci87

Stanford fan
Reaction Score
Anyone hear any news about Nneka and Chiney Ogwumike? It seems both are out injured?

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Just finished watching the Lynx/Dream game.

Wilson, Stewie, Jonquel Jones, all MVP candidates. Before the end of her career, Napheesa will be MVP, or at least in the conversation.

And Dangerfield will be an all-star.

I hate to be a traitor, but I like Kayla McBride. I still don't love her game, but over the last year or two, I've seen several interviews, and she seems like a really warm, positive person.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Just saw that Dallas beat Seattle 68-67 after trailing the whole game. Arike hit the 3pt game winner with 2 seconds left
Seattle is not a very good team, Las Vegas, Connecticut, Minnesota with Collier back, Phoenix are all much better. I think Hughes left because he saw it was a mess. Bringing in Dupree was a serious mistake. Quinn has a lot to prove, learning on the job with the talent on Seattle is a recipe for disaster.

undersized

Iowa/Indiana/Big Ten Fan
Reaction Score
Since when is basketball not considered a contact sport?
Just saw that Dallas beat Seattle 68-67 after trailing the whole game. Arike hit the 3pt game winner with 2 seconds left
Arike scored the last 8 points not just for her team, but of the entire game.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score

Loyd has been outstanding...you may be selling her short by labeling her Pippen. Based on numbers she's having a better year than Stewart, although Stewart's game shows up in a lot of areas so those who've seen a lot of the Storm can comment more.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Where did you all see the game? I couldn't find them on any television stations or ESPN+.

Reaction Score
Arike has more luck than anyone on last second shots
I think they call that being clutch. You can shoot poorly the whole game, but hit the shots when they matter. She hit a huge 3 in Loyd's face 30 seconds before that.

Reaction Score
I think they call that being clutch. You can shoot poorly the whole game, but hit the shots when they matter. She hit a huge 3 in Loyd's face 30 seconds before that.
She is a clutch player, I don’t doubt that. However, some of the shots she just throws up and they fall in like the one last night.

Dillon77

Reaction Score

Thx. for posting.
After repeated watchings, I think one reason Arike's shot looks a little forced/discombobulated (for her) is that she might've been looking to pass that ball to Marina Mabrey who was supposed to be coming off a screen. However, Mabrey got caught in traffic and tripped. She was sitting on the floor watching the shot!

Yes, I know most will say "Arike was taking that shot come hell or high water," but take a look at her face...she's looking in Mabrey's direction. And Mabrey is shooting more than 50% from the field this year.

In any case, once she decided to shoot, Arike has a thing with these clutch shots.

Hell of a series between the Storm and Wings. Tip of the hat to both squads.

Last edited:

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Loyd has been outstanding...you may be selling her short by labeling her Pippen. Based on numbers she's having a better year than Stewart, although Stewart's game shows up in a lot of areas so those who've seen a lot of the Storm can comment more.

I see where you're going there, but I learned to appreciate Scottie Pippen's game a bunch when I was in the Garden watching Bulls vs Knicks "back in the day." Boy, he was beyond good.. However, in regards to the WNBA and Jewell/Stewie, the key statement for/from me is Jewel's technical and clutch acumen. Get Stewie, Jewell on the Olympics together and the U.S. is off to a great start.

Last edited:

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
Agree that thus far, Jewell is having a "better" year than Stewie looking at shooting stats in particular, though they are both playing at an exception level; if Jewell wasn't playing alongside two all time greats in Stewart and Bird, you'd be bearing a lot more about her as an MVP candidate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom