WNBA Opening Night Games. | Page 11 | The Boneyard

WNBA Opening Night Games.

Reaction Score
I can’t think of any replacements. Maybe they pick up a college coach? Which means Walz is about to get another pay increase View attachment 76575
Without a doubt of the poor decisions made by Catchings as GM this was the worst. Stanley has proven to not be a successful head coach since the glory days of ODU in the 80s. The team went about drafting young talent but had them coached by someone from the game's past who hadn't had success in many years. That was going to be problematic even if the talent level was higher.

Stanley is probably a good person and she's been an assistant for several teams and likely would be just fine in that role for someone. Naming her as HC for the Fever was the first major move made by Catchings that made me wonder if she really knew what she was doing.

Reaction Score
Without a doubt of the poor decisions made by Catchings as GM this was the worst. Stanley has proven to not be a successful head coach since the glory days of ODU in the 80s. The team went about drafting young talent but had them coached by someone from the game's past who hadn't had success in many years. That was going to be problematic even if the talent level was higher.

Stanley is probably a good person and she's been an assistant for several teams and likely would be just fine in that role for someone. Naming her as HC for the Fever was the first major move made by Catchings that made me wonder if she really knew what she was doing.
I think a big problem with Stanley is that she comes off as flat and uninspiring. I’m sure she’s very intelligent and a great person, but doesn’t seem to have the energy needed to fire up a young team. She comes off as more disciplinarian which I don’t think is compatible with the current state of the Fever.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I think a big problem with Stanley is that she comes off as flat and uninspiring. I’m sure she’s very intelligent and a great person, but doesn’t seem to have the energy needed to fire up a young team. She comes off as more disciplinarian which I don’t think is compatible with the current state of the Fever.
No worse than the Brondello rah rah mess in NY

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
No worse than the Brondello rah rah mess in NY
Got to say, the guy before Brondello created the mess. Brondello is just starting with the NYL and I'll give her a little time to figure out what she has. She did pretty well in Phoenix.

Reaction Score
I agree Stanley is probably a decent human but her vibe is not what was needed for the Fever at that time, nor now.

Reaction Score
Lou had a good game (4-5 from 3) including a big block on Diggins-Smith with 35 seconds left.

But Liv did not see any playing time. Is it health again?

Fisher doesn't trust rookies. This was a must win for the sparks they were 0-3 in conference.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
The Sun pulverize the Wings 99-68 in a revenge game.
Agree. However, to get a split on the double-away game in eastern Connecticut is a win for the Wings. (They must've felt that way, too, because that second half was ugly.)

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Just saw an injury report for the Storm-Liberty game tonight. Bird, Magbegor and Talbot all out for "health and safety protocols," I'm assuming that's covid related. Storm can't seem to catch a break this year so far.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I hate to root against Lou and Liv, but geez I love seeing Cambage on the losing end, especially when she has a bad game and thinks it's because the officials are conspiring against her.

Lou had a nice game for three quarters.

I've always been a fan of both Vivians and Engstler, glad to see them doing well. Both certainly played well tonight.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I hate to root against Lou and Liv, but geez I love seeing Cambage on the losing end, especially when she has a bad game and thinks it's because the officials are conspiring against her.

I've always been a fan of both Vivians and Engstler, glad to see them doing well. Both certainly played well tonight.
Liv did not get in during second half even when Cambage fouled out and no other Center is on the team? :rolleyes:

Reaction Score

There definitely was a different energy from that Fever team. Kind of cool it also happened with Stranger Things new season debuts too. Hoping they will continue to build on this. They're fun to watch.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

Gabby with a very good defensive effort (4 steals in first half) but the Liberty just look terrible across the board although Seattle does not look great either. No doubt, the Liberty are the worst team in the league. I do like seeing 6- 10" Han Xu. She probably should be starting over Dolson :oops:

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
What is Brondello doing? NY looked good at times last year. They stumbled late while backing into the playoffs, but they did give Phoenix absolutely everything they could handle in the first round. They are just awful now. Like I always thought, she is not a good coach.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
What about LA's starting lineup? I can see KLS moving into the starting 5 to give them more size and more of a true 3...but why is Brown starting and Sykes coming off the bench?

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Storm blew a 13 point lead in no time at all. Up only 1 heading into Q4. Lib finally started knocking down some 3s.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Gabby misses 2 FT's at end of regulation. OT.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Seattle was up 4 w/ 16.2 seconds left. Not sure how they didn't manage to close that out in regulation.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Looking at the box score: no Bird, Talbot, Magbegor or Russell. Stewie and Loyd with 31 and 21, respectively. Thank the Storm gods, Stewie got the lane 18 times (hitting 15) and Jewell went 5-5. Yes, they're playing on their home court with two of the best players in the league, but if there was a time to take the Storm, last night was a prime upset opportunity. Based on what I watched last night, maybe the Liberty were making the right incremental steps last year. Right now, the total of the parts ain't doin' much for the sum.

Reaction Score
don't understand how Gabby can be such a great player internationally and overseas, but a mediocre one in the WNBA.

Reaction Score
don't understand how Gabby can be such a great player internationally and overseas, but a mediocre one in the WNBA.
A lot of role players have great to solid stats overseas and warm the bench in the WNBA. To be honest, Gabby played a great game last night on both ends of the court.

Reaction Score
Looking at the box score: no Bird, Talbot, Magbegor or Russell. Stewie and Loyd with 31 and 21, respectively. Thank the Storm gods, Stewie got the lane 18 times (hitting 15) and Jewell went 5-5. Yes, they're playing on their home court with two of the best players in the league, but if there was a time to take the Storm, last night was a prime upset opportunity. Based on what I watched last night, maybe the Liberty were making the right incremental steps last year. Right now, the total of the parts ain't doin' much for the sum.
Russell still out with a non basketball injury. At beginning of season the said 5 weeks. Hopefully she comes back in about 2 weeks.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom