WNBA Opening Night Games. | Page 10 | The Boneyard

WNBA Opening Night Games.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Ryan Howard having a miserable game in first half. Atlanta trails Washington 38-25

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I'm sure the loss of J. Thomas is a big factor. Dallas outscored Connecticut by 20 in the second half, won by 8. This might shift the balance of power in the East in Washington's favor.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Ryan Howard having a miserable game in first half. Atlanta trails Washington 38-25
Scoreless for the game, 0-9. I guess she is a rookie after all.

Clark's first double figure game for Washington (I think), Burke 13 off the bench. Those ex-Storm players helping out.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Minny-NY and Indy-Chicago both going down to the wire, late in Q4. Both 1 possession games.

Reaction Score
Minny-NY and Indy-Chicago both going down to the wire, late in Q4. Both 1 possession games.
Was watching Indy-Chicago. Quite the game until the last few minutes. Engstler is getting more comfortable with the pace and it showed tonight.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Oh, damn! Any possibility the Sun might go after Dangerfield?
She's still with the Liberty right now. In fact, played 17 minutes vs. the Lynx.
I guess the Sun could see if Natisha Hiedeman and Yvonne Anderson can get it done for them. If Sun want to bring in a veteran point guard, Lindsay Allen is available. Jasmine Thomas plays excellent defense and I thought that's where they missed her tonight.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
I'm sure the loss of J. Thomas is a big factor. Dallas outscored Connecticut by 20 in the second half, won by 8. This might shift the balance of power in the East in Washington's favor.
The loss of Thomas was most apparent on defense in the 2nd half: Marina Mabrey was given open looks and she made the Sun pay: She hit 6 of 10 from the field, including 3-6 from three-pt. land, including a clutch trey off a feed from Ogunbowale. She also hit 5-6 from the FT line and had 4 assists.

Allisha Gray had 17 for the Wings and Kayla Thornton had 10 rebounds. Wings have now won 3 straight.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
The loss of Thomas was most apparent on defense in the 2nd half: Marina Mabrey was given open looks and she made the Sun pay: She hit 6 of 10 from the field, including 3-6 from three-pt. land, including a clutch trey off a feed from Ogunbowale. She also hit 5-6 from the FT line and had 4 assists.

Allisha Gray had 17 for the Wings and Kayla Thornton had 10 rebounds. Wings have now won 3 straight.
Mabrey putting up phenomenal numbers early. She could be an MVP candidate if she keeps playing so well and racking up wins. Her, Young, Plum, A. Thomas, Parker, EDD and Stewart look like top candidates early on.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Mabrey putting up phenomenal numbers early. She could be an MVP candidate if she keeps playing so well and racking up wins. Her, Young, Plum, A. Thomas, Parker, EDD and Stewart look like top candidates early on.
Marina Mabrey and Jackie Young both played for the Perth Lynx in the Australian Women's National Basketball League (along with Sami Whitcomb). While the level of play might not be up to some of the play in Europe, they got to practice (a lot) with each other and both had really excellent seasons, leading the Lynx to the WNBL finals. Wonder if this helped both of the players' confidence levels coming "home" to the WNBA. You're right, they're both off to really solid starts for the Wings and Aces, respectively.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Marina Mabrey and Jackie Young both played for the Perth Lynx in the Australian Women's National Basketball League (along with Sami Whitcomb). While the level of play might not be up to some of the play in Europe, they got to practice (a lot) with each other and both had really excellent seasons, leading the Lynx to the WNBA finals. Wonder if this helped both of the players' confidence levels coming "home" to the WNBA. You're right, they're both off to really solid starts.
Based on what we're seeing, I would think so. The WNBL is good league to play in if Europe isn't an option.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
Mabrey is having a great start to the year, but so is Allisha Gray, whom Vickie Johnson called the best "Two way" player in the league last night. Excited to see Sabally fully integrated too.

Gray, Young, Plum were all also on the Olympic 3x3 team, and it seems to have given them all some added aggressiveness.

Reaction Score
On top of that, every "import" player from the U.S. reports, off-days at Aussie beaches aren't so bad, either! :cool:
I have a friend who has a daughter studying there for her law degree. Great opportunity to further her education and see an unbelievable country for views. Not looking forward to her boasting it's summer when it's Christmas though :confused:

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Mabrey is having a great start to the year, but so is Allisha Gray, whom Vickie Johnson called the best "Two way" player in the league last night. Excited to see Sabally fully integrated too.

Gray, Young, Plum were all also on the Olympic 3x3 team, and it seems to have given them all some added aggressiveness.
Good points, all. With Sabally back, Kayla Thornton seems to realize she's going to earn her minutes via rebounding and defense. Good job last night against the Sun's tough front line.

As for the wings/backcourt, Johnson seems to play Gray most of the time and spells "Marike" with Harris and Burton. More of a rotation at lead guard than any one player.

Reaction Score
I can’t think of any replacements. Maybe they pick up a college coach? Which means Walz is about to get another pay increase
957C7E87-59FF-4426-BCE6-B4CB7A358181.jpeg

Reaction Score
Maybe they’ll hire another Becky. Seems to be working out for Vegas.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I think Karlie has Katie Lou beat for number of teams she's appeared with now.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
I think Karlie has Katie Lou beat for number of teams she's appeared with now.
I think it is a tie at 4 each
Karlie ---Dallas, LA, Seattle and Phnx
KLS--Chicago, Dallas, Seattle and LA

Karlie has 3 Euro teams in Italy Belgium and Avenida
KLS has France and Avenida

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Okay, Karlie hasn't actually stepped on the court yet for the Merc, she was a DNP tonight. Signing her worked wonders...for Katie Lou. Looks like she had her best game so far for LA.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Lou had a good game (4-5 from 3) including a big block on Diggins-Smith with 35 seconds left.

But Liv did not see any playing time. Is it health again?

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom