WNBA Off-Season | Page 4 | The Boneyard

WNBA Off-Season

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Is there any reliable confirmation of this Stephanie White rumor? The Hartford Courant did not mention it in their story about Bonner's decision not to retire. If it's definite, why is there a delay in the official announcement?

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Whoa. Lynx come back from what once was an 18-pt. deficit to get a 95-93win in OT led by three 20+ pt. performances by Courtney Williams, Kayla McBride and Napheesa Collier. K-Mac carried the Lynx early, Williams helped bring them back in regulation (huge 4-pt. play at end of to take a one-pt. lead) and 'Phee sealed the deal.
Huge win. How huge? Coach Reeve was jumping up and down on the sidelines after the last horn.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I posted this in the playoff thread but I'll put it here too. Some changes for next season. Expanding the schedule to 44 games. First round format will be 1-1-1 instead of 2-1. Finals will be 7 games.

Reaction Score
Is there any reliable confirmation of this Stephanie White rumor? The Hartford Courant did not mention it in their story about Bonner's decision not to retire. If it's definite, why is there a delay in the official announcement?

Nope. There’s been so official announcement

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Okay, where do the Aces go from here? Not saying you blow up the team, but standing pat won't be enough. As we say every off season, they need a better bench. Hayes is a keeper, not sure about anybody else. They need a better 5th starter than Stokes. Can Gray return to being the player she used to be? She showed some flashes in the playoffs, but overall wasn't great. 38% shooting, 28% from 3 is not good enough. Clark has her moments, but she's not the player she was when she was helping the Storm win Championships (looking at the roster, she's 37, that surprised me).
As long as they are contenders, I think the Aces will focus more on ring pursuing veterans than draft picks. The money realities of the WNBA shifts priorities to locking up your best players (4-5) with big contracts, and only spend more than the minimum on your next 3 or 4. Every penny spend above the minimum on a player that isn't say in your top 8 of a rotation is inefficient.

It also means the top contenders will probably have 11 not 12 players. that money for a 12th player is better spent on upgrading a player that will get regular minutes. The Aces probably have significant off the court advantages. A nice new practice facility, good attendance, more outside income opportunities, no state income tax etc.

That plus a possible championship means they can frequently get veterans to support the big 4 at less than market value, be that getting a better minimum salary player than other teams, or paying modestly more than the minimum for a player that might command much more from other teams. They got Clark and Stokes relatively cheap, and Parker way under market although that didn't work out due to injuries.

Clark and Stokes have slipped to where they are no longer bargains, but getting players like they were a couple of years ago at less than market value would seem to be a good approach. Spend your money on the top 8, 5 starters, one big, one midsize and one guard reserve, and minimum on everything else. You hope you get something good in the draft, but you can probably pick from the best or top layer of minimum contract players to fill out the roster.

Reaction Score
Coaching considerations.

I'm wondering if the Mercury has set the bar at a million dollars?

Love to know the details on the Golden State contract.

If Stephanie White does in fact move on I would guess her new deal will or should approach that of the competent Becky Harmon and over the head little Nate. (Is it possible the Mercury owner recognizes the mistake and terminates the million dollar coach? Inquiring minds want to know and Mercury fans have their fingers crossed)

Aside from Stephanie White I'm wondering if the openings around the league will follow the lead of Golden State and look for experience and actually coaching women's basketball as well as female coaches? Hiring early in a coach's career also allows a salary under a million bucks.

Does Cheryl Reeves get a raise to the million dollar level? (Coach of the year?)

I hesitate to speculate about SB given the animosity on this board but does she get a raise?

Dark horse candidate for a franchise looking outside the box.... former ASU coach CTT.

Finally is Kurt Miller done or does he have another run? Really wondering what owners think of a very checkered career. Pretty sure nobody would ever make him a GM again.

Reaction Score
I posted this in the playoff thread but I'll put it here too. Some changes for next season. Expanding the schedule to 44 games. First round format will be 1-1-1 instead of 2-1. Finals will be 7 games.
Glad that they are going with the 1-1-1 format for the mini-series. The best of 7 is a great addition as well.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HungreHu5ky

Top Bottom