WNBA Off-Season | Page 3 | The Boneyard

WNBA Off-Season

Reaction Score
This is an outstanding source. And not only because it a completely agrees with my view of the debacle which is the Phoenix Mercury.

The site is in the process of a team by team analysis and I recommend their research and conclusions.

Offseason priorities: Tibbetts was a high-profile hiring when the Mercury brought him across from the NBA ranks, but also an expensive and controversial one. Reportedly the highest-paid coach in the league despite having no experience or connection to the women's game before being hired, there was some backlash from the fans. Given how the 2024 season went, you could certainly argue the hiring didn't work

Could? Time to give the million dollar coach opportunity to spread his defensive philosophy perhaps Chicago or Atlanta.

Reaction Score

Well, this should make some Fever fans happy. The new president is making her imprint early.

Amber Cox's resume includes some responsibility for the dumpster fire in Phoenix so I wouldn't get too elated if I were a Fever Fan.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
The Commissioner misspoke, and Gabby was clarifying things. I'm sure the WNBA wants Gabby back after her success in the Olympics. Note that Gabby is playing in Turkey and no longer France. I think part of the motivation for the change is that the Turkish schedule fits the WNBA schedule and will not create a problem due to the prioritization rule.

Reaction Score
Weird. The link I'm getting from your post isn't ESPN. Instead, it's "marca.com" site and Spanish. Will head to ESPN to see if I can find it. Thanks.
It's a marca.com site for me as well but not behind a paywall and it's in English. You're not missing anything, actually. You can find Gabby's comments elsewhere.

Reaction Score
In reading the article, are we sure Williams "quit"? She's gone to play for her Turkish team which was expected. She also has been very direct about how the WNBA has misrepresented potential earnings. This isn't new information. If she decides not to play in the WNBA again, I wouldn't be surprised but there's nothing here saying she's never coming back to the league.

That's what I don't like about some of these articles. Writers take snippets and then turn it into something else to gain more attention. Williams "sensationally" quit. Really? This feels more like a National Enquirer tabloid piece to get clicks and considering how British newspapers handle news, this is par for the course. :confused:
Agreed. And the "amid Caitlin Clark controversy" in the title was solely to get the clicks. There was no "CC controversy."

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Amber Cox's resume includes some responsibility for the dumpster fire in Phoenix so I wouldn't get too elated if I were a Fever Fan.
And she didn't appear to have a lot of hoops responsibility in Dalals the past year. And, if she did, how did that work out? :rolleyes:

Listen, Lin Dunn got a few things wrong over the last few years, but she's also made sure the Wings made the right (even if obvious) moves when they had to regards to draft choices. Stay tuned...I'm sure this isn't the end of the story here...

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
The Commissioner misspoke, and Gabby was clarifying things. I'm sure the WNBA wants Gabby back after her success in the Olympics. Note that Gabby is playing in Turkey and no longer France. I think part of the motivation for the change is that the Turkish schedule fits the WNBA schedule and will not create a problem due to the prioritization rule.
I recall an article from about a week or two ago in which Gabby was quoted as saying that she wants NOT to be under contract with any WNBA team until she finishes with her overseas basketball commitments. That way, she circumvents the WNBA prioritization rule, since the WNBA can't apply it to a player who isn't even under contract until mid-season. Furthermore, she wants any team that signs her to commit to not "coring" her, which would cause her contract to continue beyond a single partial season and thereby trigger the prioritization rule.

In other words, she wants to be a free agent every year until she is done overseas, and is then free to sign a "rest of season" contract with a WNBA team each year (but only for that one partial season, and with no possibility of being "cored"). If she does this every year, she will dance around the prioritization rule, albeit at the cost of having no long term commitment with any team.

I doubt that very many other WNBA players will view this as an attractive option.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
I recall an article from about a week or two ago in which Gabby was quoted as saying that she wants NOT to be under contract with any WNBA team until she finishes with her overseas basketball commitments. That way, she circumvents the WNBA prioritization rule, since the WNBA can't apply it to a player who isn't even under contract until mid-season. Furthermore, she wants any team that signs her to commit to not "coring" her, which would cause her contract to continue beyond a single partial season and thereby trigger the prioritization rule.

In other words, she wants to be a free agent every year until she is done overseas, and is then free to sign a "rest of season" contract with a WNBA team each year (but only for that one partial season, and with no possibility of being "cored"). If she does this every year, she will dance around the prioritization rule, albeit at the cost of having no long term commitment with any team.

I doubt that very many other WNBA players will view this as an attractive option.
Speaking as a future Valks season ticket holder, here's hoping our new GM is keeping Gabby in mind mid-season...

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Okay, where do the Aces go from here? Not saying you blow up the team, but standing pat won't be enough. As we say every off season, they need a better bench. Hayes is a keeper, not sure about anybody else. They need a better 5th starter than Stokes. Can Gray return to being the player she used to be? She showed some flashes in the playoffs, but overall wasn't great. 38% shooting, 28% from 3 is not good enough. Clark has her moments, but she's not the player she was when she was helping the Storm win Championships (looking at the roster, she's 37, that surprised me).

Reaction Score
Okay, where do the Aces go from here? Not saying you blow up the team, but standing pat won't be enough. As we say every off season, they need a better bench. Hayes is a keeper, not sure about anybody else. They need a better 5th starter than Stokes. Can Gray return to being the player she used to be? She showed some flashes in the playoffs, but overall wasn't great. 38% shooting, 28% from 3 is not good enough. Clark has her moments, but she's not the player she was when she was helping the Storm win Championships (looking at the roster, she's 37, that surprised me).
One question I have is what are they going to do with Kierstan Bell? When I think of where she was drafted, she hasn't provided any value to the team that I can think of. Is it due to the depth of the team, injuries, not up to the level, etc.?

Since Fargas joined the team, their track record for drafting has left a lot to be desired. The jury is out on Martin as it's her rookie season, but the team's inability to draft talent to develop is concerning. Obviously Hammon and others have input, but she should have the most accountability in this area in my opinion.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
They better hope Kitley can bring something. They should cut ties w/ Bell. Martin was a pleasant surprise early in the season, but disappeared by the end. I think she's a fairly marginal WNBA player, despite the feel good nature of her making a roster. I know they like Colson, but there's gotta be better options for your second guard off the bench. Gustafson didn't do much. Every year they try another big, and it never really works out. I'd gladly take Plaisance from several years ago over George or Gustafson. I kinda wondered about Dyasha Fair. She didn't get much of a chance before they cut her. She wasn't particularly efficient in college, but obviously had some skills and was a scorer.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
@nwhoopfan : I've noted your comments on what the Aces need to do and how the might do it. So, I though you might be interested in Richard Cohen's Off-season primer on Her Hoops Stats, which I've cut and pasted below.

His core points (to my mind):
  • Chelsea Gray need to continue to return to pre-injury ability and he's pretty convinced something was off physically with Jackie Young from the Olympics. If that's even somewhat true, it could be a relief for Aces, because Young is critical.
  • As is, of course, Kelsey Plum, who he thinks should be cored ASAP.
  • He tipped his hat to the Aces for trying to see if Gustafson could give something to take pressure off Wilson, but Megan never gained Hammons' trust. Gustafson and Kiah Stoke are on unguaranteed contracts so they could be let go in pursuit of yet another big.
  • Hayes was a find. Question marks on Clark and Colson.
  • Will Kitley get a chance?
and
My questions:
  • Now that the three-peat of not happening, can Hammons settle down a little and develop some of her new/younger players or is that simply not going to be her modus operandi? Will she just go after vets to with her core 4?
  • And does Ms. Vargas and the front office -- per @cancontent -- have it in them to start getting some players that Hammons will use/develop? Seems like awhile ago that Bill Laimbeer and Dan Padover were putting the basis of this team together. Yes, they were #1 picks, but -- hey -- they made 'em.

With the expansion draft, this will be interesting to see who frees up.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom