WNBA Draft Thread | Page 9 | The Boneyard

WNBA Draft Thread

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Whether Nat makes the team or not, she can always say she was drafted. She can play at some level of pro ball.

"Former UConn center Natalie Butler, who used her final year of eligibility as a graduate transfer at George Mason University, was taken in the third round of Thursday night's WNBA Draft by Dallas, the first player from Mason to be drafted. "It is incredibly satisfying to know all your hard work paid off," Butler said in a story on the school's website. "The fact I was able to get drafted was awesome and humbling. I'm incredibly grateful the Dallas Wings want me to be a part of their training camp." . In Free Throws section of artcle: Potential Texas A&M graduate transfers eye UConn

Reaction Score
A question (or questions): Is there a list showing who was in the draft? How many actually declare and don't get "drafted". Though I know some will get camp invites. Why only invite 10 to the party and not 12 if that's how many go in first round? Just thoughts I had while watching last night.
They used to invite more and sometimes they wouldn't go in the first round and it would get very awkward. It happened to Tiffany Hayes and, when it happened to Allison Hightower, they kept zooming in on her again and again. It was kind of cruel. They backed away from doing the zooming in by the time it happened to Tiffany, but it was still pretty tough to watch. I think it put a bee in her bonnet though.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I think there is a decent chance that Natalie will stick with Dallas. If you look at their roster, figuring Z plays forward, they could use another center, especially one with her height. She would be a great asset off the bench. She'll continue the scoring and rebounding, that's for sure.

Any comments on Dallas's 2nd rd (#18) pick PG Loryn Goodwin of OKSU . Is she direct competition with Saniya? I guess her good stint in Israel gives her a very big advantage .

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
I think there is a decent chance that Natalie will stick with Dallas. If you look at their roster, figuring Z plays forward, they could use another center, especially one with her height. She would be a great asset off the bench. She'll continue the scoring and rebounding, that's for sure.

I do not see it at all, with no disrespect to Butler. She was great against non-P5 competition, and she had a very fine college career. But with Liz Cambage back, Dallas is only likely to keep two centers on its roster, unless another player can rotate between the 4 and the 5 - which Natalie cannot do. Butler is up against 2017 first round pick Evelyn Akhator and 2017 first round pick Breanna Lewis. Both Akhator and Lewis made the roster last year, with Courtney Paris. But Dallas was lacking at PF outside of Glory Johnson - and even ran lineups with Johnson at center. Teresa Plaisance is likely to make the roster because even though she is a 5 who cannot defend the 4, she is a legitimate three-point threat (though had a down year at 34 percent last year) and produced quite a bit (almost 8 ppg, which is good when you consider the number of shots taken by Diggins, Johnson, Gray, Davis, Christmas-Kelly, etc.).

If I had to speculate on Dallas's roster, it would go like this:

Starters:
PG - Skylar Diggins
SG - Allisha Gray
W - Karima Christmas-Kelly (or Aerial Powers)
PF - Glory Johnson
C - Liz Cambage

Bench:
W - Aerial Powers (or Karima Chistmas-Kelly)
SG - Kaela Davis
F - Azura Stevens
C - Teresa Plaisance (even though her W bio lists her as a forward, she is a center with range, as she cannot defend the 4)
F - Kayla Thornton

That leaves two rosters spots (WNBA teams can carry a maximum of 12 players). The final two spots will be a competition among Saniya Chong, Evelyn Akhator, Breanna Lewis, Loryn Goodwin, and Natalie Butler (plus anyone else that Dallas brings into camp).

Right now, my list of projected starters and bench players does not have a backup point guard. This is where Saniya Chong has an edge (especially after spending one year in Fred Williams' system in Dallas). That means there is one spot remaining for which Butler can vie, and she is doing so against two other players at her same position who each have had one year in the Wings's system.

Reaction Score
#22. .

DUHHHHHHHHHHH. It's not like I havent taken a zillion math & analytic classes. Sure 12+10 = 20.

Oregon State's Marie Gulich taken ahead of Russell. I'm sure no one predicted that before the start of the season.

I would guess that if you had asked W coaches each year about future top 10, if not top 5, picks, Russell would've been mentioned every time. A pretty stunning fall.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
DUHHHHHHHHHHH. It's not like I havent taken a zillion math & analytic classes. Sure 12+10 = 20.

I would guess that if you had asked W coaches each year about future top 10, if not top 5, picks, Russell would've been mentioned every time. A pretty stunning fall.

That also could just make her a nice 2nd round steal.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
Not sure I agree. Sometimes in any sport when a player received intense oversight, observers tend to pick at the issues. In any case, why would this have mattered to her?

@HopJim 's comment was in response to @vowelguy 's statement that Stevens would have been selected #2 or #3 had she stayed another year at UConn.

MY TAKE:

-- I understand Indiana taking Mitchell. The Fever were last in the WNBA in scoring and now have a vacancy in the backcourt with January being traded to Phoenix. Plus, Indiana had been scouting Mitchell for a lot longer.

--Indiana's roster has some very nice complementary parts - Candice Dupree (on the downside of her career, but still has a great face-up game at the four), Erica Wheeler (can pass and can get hot scoring the ball), Shenise Johnson (can all do things well - scoring, passing, rebounding - but not great), Tiffany Mitchell (athletic SG who can score), etc.

--But there is no STAR. There is no alpha player. And while there are players like Tiffany Mitchell and Wheeler who can create their own shots, they are not efficient at making them. Indiana, as TEAM, shot 42.9 percent from the floor and 30.9 percent from three. Those are bad numbers.

--Kelsey Mitchell provides the ability to create her own shot better than anyone on the Fever's roster. She and Wheeler would be combo guards who both can pass, which should help get more open shots for other Fever players (given the fact that Tiffany Mitchell and Shenise Johnson both hit at least 92 percent from the line, it suggests that they have the ability to become better shooters overall from the floor and from three).

AS TO STEVENS:

-- Azura has as much upside as anyone in the draft, right up there with Diamond DeShields (DD has all of the raw gifts, but has not had any coaching for skills improvement whatsoever since high school; Stevens had two years in UConn's system, one as a player).

-- I am STUNNED that Chicago did not take Stevens at #3 or #4. I said it on this forum that Chicago's ideal draft would be to get Gabby Williams and Azura Stevens in the first round.

-- The Sky have the best three-point shooting backcourt in the WNBA, with Vandersloot and Quigley. What they need (among other things) is a wing who can slash, defend, and be a secondary facilitator/passer. That *IS* Gabby Williams.

-- Stefanie Dolson is the physical post with three-point range whose game will best complement Stevens; Dolson and Stevens can run the high/low, can step out for mid-range and three-point shots so the paint is clear for a player like Williams to slash. Plus, Gabby and Stevens have built in familiarity and chemistry having played in Geno Auriemma's system, with which Stef Dolson has plenty of familiarity as well.

-- Amber Stocks is a relatively young head coach and GM, turning 40 last year. This is her first head coaching gig. She spent 6 years as an assistant with Xavier, but left in 2009. She was not coaching in college or the WNBA until she spent two years as a Sparks assistant (during the latter of which, LA won the WNBA title). DeShields is a player that will require a forceful hand, as she did not have the Xs and Os, individual instruction, or best training on how to play within the team concept at UNC and Tennessee. In many ways, she is as raw in that department as she was when she entered college, though she claims her year in Turkey on the professional level helped her develop.

-- But DeShields will need to adjust to the possibility that she is not the first, second, or even third best player on the team coming out of the gate. Can she be effective when the ball is not in her hands? She is not a great rebounder at her height, and she has never shown a commitment on the defensive end of the floor.

-- Not only am I stunned that Chicago passed on Stevens (especially because the team lost Jessica Breland in free agency and Stevens would have been PERFECT for the Sky), but I am stunned that Seattle did as well. NOW, this could have occurred due to a lack of scouting, in the sense that teams were not focused on Stevens thinking she would not be entering the draft. But that is the fault of the franchises.

-- Seattle took Jordin Canada. Yes, Seattle needs a backup point guard to replace Sue Bird. But Canada is undersized, and she is not the best fit next to Jewel Loyd, who is a more ball dominant shooting guard. Lexie Brown is bigger, a more consistent shooter, and a better defender. But Stevens was the best overall prospect on board.

-- Seattle started 6-2 Crystal Langhorne at center last year, and she will be 32 this year. Yes, Seattle got Courtney Paris and Natasha Howard in the offseason. But Paris turns 31 this year and is coming off an injury-plagued season. Howard is a great athlete who has shown flashes, but she was losing minutes to 36 year old Plenette Pierson last year. And Howard is best as a four, not as a five, which makes her a not-so-great fit next to Breanna Stewart.

FINAL POINT:

-- Dallas got a STEAL in Stevens - the steal of the entire 2018 WNBA Draft. Teams may not have been prepared, from a scouting standpoint, for Stevens to declare early, but they should have been (need to scout players not just in their senior seasons).

Reaction Score
I do not see it at all, with no disrespect to Butler. She was great against non-P5 competition, and she had a very fine college career. But with Liz Cambage back, Dallas is only likely to keep two centers on its roster, unless another player can rotate between the 4 and the 5 - which Natalie cannot do. Butler is up against 2017 first round pick Evelyn Akhator and 2017 first round pick Breanna Lewis. Both Akhator and Lewis made the roster last year, with Courtney Paris. But Dallas was lacking at PF outside of Glory Johnson - and even ran lineups with Johnson at center. Teresa Plaisance is likely to make the roster because even though she is a 5 who cannot defend the 4, she is a legitimate three-point threat (though had a down year at 34 percent last year) and produced quite a bit (almost 8 ppg, which is good when you consider the number of shots taken by Diggins, Johnson, Gray, Davis, Christmas-Kelly, etc.).

If I had to speculate on Dallas's roster, it would go like this:

Starters:
PG - Skylar Diggins
SG - Allisha Gray
W - Karima Christmas-Kelly (or Aerial Powers)
PF - Glory Johnson
C - Liz Cambage

Bench:
W - Aerial Powers (or Karima Chistmas-Kelly)
SG - Kaela Davis
F - Azura Stevens
C - Teresa Plaisance (even though her W bio lists her as a forward, she is a center with range, as she cannot defend the 4)
F - Kayla Thornton

That leaves two rosters spots (WNBA teams can carry a maximum of 12 players). The final two spots will be a competition among Saniya Chong, Evelyn Akhator, Breanna Lewis, Loryn Goodwin, and Natalie Butler (plus anyone else that Dallas brings into camp).

Right now, my list of projected starters and bench players does not have a backup point guard. This is where Saniya Chong has an edge (especially after spending one year in Fred Williams' system in Dallas). That means there is one spot remaining for which Butler can vie, and she is doing so against two other players at her same position who each have had one year in the Wings's system.
You make good points, but I think with the history of the Cambage getting injured and needing minutes on the bench to rest up (that's a big body she hauls around) they will want more than two centers. As for Akhator and Lewis, they have not exactly been burning down the league, so time will tell. I doubt they would have selected Natalie if they were thrilled with what they had.

Reaction Score
Any comments on Dallas's 2nd rd (#18) pick PG Loryn Goodwin of OKSU . Is she direct competition with Saniya? I guess her good stint in Israel gives her a very big advantage .
I really don't know much about Goodwin, but Saniya may need to pick up her game. Saniya has shown she can really help the flow of offense for Dallas. They often stagnated when she wasn't in. I hope that and her good stint in Israel will keep her on the roster.

Reaction Score
More on Natalie at the wnba combine

She then spent Final Four weekend in Columbus, participating in an eight-hour combine on Saturday, March 31. The coaches put the players through drills, have them run offenses to see how easily they pick different systems up and to test their conditioning. Butler battled inside against post players from the likes of Baylor, Texas A&M and California and impressed the coaches enough that she was selected to play in the WNBA Combine All-Star Game later that day.

With Record-Setting Season Over, Butler Pursuing Professional Dreams - George Mason University

Reaction Score

Yes, I would say Chong is in trouble.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
The "Moment" all attendees were drafted last night: Check out Kia's shoes. They were rockin'!

The shoes moment - Cleopatra! 6:20

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Nice tweet from Cori Close to Stewie:
You were right @bre_stewart30 (when I saw you at the F4) ! I am so glad she is with y’all. Take good care of her for us. She can pass the rock. She’ll find you.
1f600.png
I hope Jordin can find Kaleena. They are both on the second unit, and Kaleena still has the great Lewis Launch. They can make each other stand out.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
You make good points, but I think with the history of the Cambage getting injured and needing minutes on the bench to rest up (that's a big body she hauls around) they will want more than two centers. As for Akhator and Lewis, they have not exactly been burning down the league, so time will tell. I doubt they would have selected Natalie if they were thrilled with what they had.

That being said, perhaps HC Fred Williams may toy with the idea of filling the post position game by game "by committee". :rolleyes:

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
That also could just make her a nice 2nd round steal.
But first she’d have to learn to play on defense. And offense. Heaven know she didn’t get that at Tennessee

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
But first she’d have to learn to play on defense. And offense. Heaven know she didn’t get that at Tennessee

There's a lot of talent in there.

Avg 15 and 9 and shot 60% from the floor.

With the right coach she can still be a player.

Reaction Score
They used to invite more and sometimes they wouldn't go in the first round and it would get very awkward. It happened to Tiffany Hayes and, when it happened to Allison Hightower, they kept zooming in on her again and again. It was kind of cruel. They backed away from doing the zooming in by the time it happened to Tiffany, but it was still pretty tough to watch. I think it put a bee in her bonnet though.
I guess it is a good thing they didn't invite 12 players or perhaps Russel might have been included. It would have been awkward for her and her mother to sit until she was picked at #22. Especially if her mother had to scrape up money for the ticket to NY.

Reaction Score
New haven native Tanaya Atkinson from temple has signed with the Washington Mystics. Definitely an invite to camp. My daughter played with her in AAU and high school. Congrats to her. Hopefully she can make the team

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom