WNBA Draft Thread | Page 8 | The Boneyard

WNBA Draft Thread

Reaction Score
It is not ESPN's job to give the picks a participation trophy. ESPN's job is to create interesting television, and given that they've been doing this a while and billions of dollars depend on them doing it right, I'm gonna guess they know a few things.
ESPN is full of it. They have not done that well in respect to the WNBA. The program was listed as the WNBA draft and if I am not mistaken the draft lasts 3 round. The first round was on ESPN2 and then was shifted over to ESPNU basically because common sense told them that the second and third rounds are not as interesting as the first. The NBA draft certainly gives less time to the latter rounds but then the later round go much quicker. I would not have switched over if I had expected that they would waste my time with talking heads engaged in non related blather. They did the same crap during some games as well. Just because ESPN basically has a sports monopoly they think they can supply us with garbage and we have to put up with it.

It's not like we expect the same sort of coverage for the later rounds as the first, but at least we expect them to announce the picks as they happen. If they call it coverage of the draft then that is what we have a right to expect. If this is what they intended of doing they should just have quit coverage after the first round was over and not tease us into thinking they were going to cover the other two rounds as they had them listed on their board.

Last edited:

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Eric-I always appreciate you passion for UConn and all things Geno but this comment is speculative at best and arrogant at worst. Z will be playing against better athletes who are old and stronger so she will have to learn fast plus she can devote the bulk of her day and time film study and working out, which the 20hour a week limit severely hampers. I think the onus is squarely on Z to self manage her development and there are some pretty good pro coaches.
Certainly speculative. Arrogant? I disagree. Listen to what non-UCONN players say when they get a chance to learn from Geno - mainly players who were on the Olympic and World Championship USA teams. Most of them offered up not only how great it was to play for Geno, but how much they learned from him. That is not to say they didn't improve or learn things from their WNBA teams, but there is no better teacher of women's basketball out there than Geno and the UCONN staff.

Moreover, the WNBA goes from April 29 thru the end of August. That's 4 months. The UCONN "experience" usually starts in the summer, and goes all the way to April. Moreover, the season starts in October-ish and goes thru mid-April. 4 months in the W vs. 6 months at UCONN. The experiences are nothing alike. At UCONN the team lives together, hangs out together, studies together,eats together, practices together, works out together, and plays games together. It's almost 24/7 UCONN basketball.

In the pros, it's not even close to that. They get their own places, maybe live with a teammate or 2, maybe not. Some get married, some have kids, and "real life" has way more prevalent and distracting. I firmly believe another 6 months with Geno, and a year with the UCONN program would have improved Z more than whatever improvement she shows this year as a pro.

My point was that given we were expecting a "sophomore leap" for Stevens, as well as another whole year being involved with UCONN basketball and being coached by the best, and also being PUSHED more to be great - I just don't believe she will get that in the pros. My bet is they let Azura play where she wants - some in the post, but if she prefers, more roaming around the perimeter. But we will see soon enough!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
What does everyone think about Diamond and Gabby together? It kinds of seems like their personalities might clash. And the commentators don't make it much better when they emphasize that if DD is an elite athlete, Gabby is an ELITE athlete. Lol which I think would effect DD's ego. But going forward, they are very exciting prospects and together should be even better. I know that UConn fans will be forever comparing the two, well as long as they're together.
With Diamond, attitude and work ethic are keys. If she follows Gabby’s lead, she’ll be fine. If not, ....

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Seattle went from a playoff team to being in the lottery next year. Can't score if you can't rebound, and nothing was done to remedy that fact.
They picked up Courtney Paris and Natasha Howard in the off season. Paris is a rebounder.

Reaction Score
I went to the CT Sun WNBA site and listed on their roster was GABBY WILLIAMS! She was NOT listed on the Chicago Sky Roster!
I can't find any info of a trade from Chicago to CT! I think the WNBA typist/programmer had a secret wish that Gabby would go to the Sun!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
A 6'6" player who can both play in the post and step outside to hit 3s is superstar potential. She's not that now but I think Geno was on the way to getting her there.
You talking about Azura or Natalie? ;)

Reaction Score
I think there is a decent chance that Natalie will stick with Dallas. If you look at their roster, figuring Z plays forward, they could use another center, especially one with her height. She would be a great asset off the bench. She'll continue the scoring and rebounding, that's for sure.

Reaction Score
Lynx trade top to 2 picks to Las Vegas for Jill Barta and future pick.
That was kind of strange. Why didn't the Lynx just take Barta with one of their picks if they really wanted her?

Reaction Score
A question (or questions): Is there a list showing who was in the draft? How many actually declare and don't get "drafted". Though I know some will get camp invites. Why only invite 10 to the party and not 12 if that's how many go in first round? Just thoughts I had while watching last night.

Reaction Score
Stevens would've been top 2 or 3 if she stayed another year.
I totally agree she would have become a much better player if she stayed another year. But, I doubt there's much of a financial difference there.
Seems she came out for one if a few reasons and the difference in draft # wasn't the important factor.
Either she felt it was time and wanted or needed the money now; she doesn't really want to play inside and / or she want happy with how she was used in the semi-final loss.
All the wishing won't change what was her decision and likely make next year a much tougher one to reach the final four let alone a 12th championship.
Bronx23

Reaction Score
Yes, Kia is good as evidenced by 4 years of starting and being a Canadian Olympian but you are seriously underestimating how good Lexi is. She IS BETTER THAN KIA.

Why is it that many on this thread can’t give credit to other good players and take everything as a slight against a UCONN player if a name is referenced ahead of them? Kia is good but many, many basketball writers and coaches think both Jordin and Lexi are better than Kia and that’s ok. Kia still went in the first round and was taken right after Lexi.
Agree with this post completely!
First and the more important of your points I think is many fans can't see other players strengths and their own players limitations.
Lexi is much quicker, a better ball handler and a true point guard and creator. Kia is an outstanding defensive player but has a bit of issues with super quick offensive players. Kia is an excellent shooter when left open. How anyone watching basketball can't see this amazes me.
It's very impressive that Kia went as high as she did and to NY and can learn from Katie Smith. She will be a solid pro, especially because of all she brings as a person and leader by example.
Bronx23

Reaction Score
Just coming at this this morning, but were three of the selections players on the Czech team that dismantled UConn during their summer tour of Europe? Vadeeva, Musina, and Julia Reisingerová?

And why were they playing on a Czech team when at least the first two were supposedly on Russian pro teams? Anyone know?

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
WOW did not know Kia Nurse was related to Darnell Nurse of the oilers, are they both related to Mcnabb?
Hmmmm

images

Reaction Score
Stevens would've been top 2 or 3 if she stayed another year.
Not sure I agree. Sometimes in any sport when a player received intense oversight, observers tend to pick at the issues. In any case, why would this have mattered to her?

Reaction Score
I think there is a decent chance that Natalie will stick with Dallas. If you look at their roster, figuring Z plays forward, they could use another center, especially one with her height. She would be a great asset off the bench. She'll continue the scoring and rebounding, that's for sure.
Agreed. Have seen a couple of their games and Nat got lucky with who picked her. What their bench needs Nat has.

Reaction Score
Nice tweet from Cori Close to Stewie:
You were right @bre_stewart30 (when I saw you at the F4) ! I am so glad she is with y’all. Take good care of her for us. She can pass the rock. She’ll find you.
1f600.png

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom