WNBA -- 2023 Season | Page 51 | The Boneyard

WNBA -- 2023 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Yeah, some of her retweets were pretty explicit. I saw at least one “Smith can do everything Boston can, but Boston can’t do everything Smith can.” (That’s debatable IMO, but I digress). Once she was called out on it she claimed to not have read the full tweet and walked it back.

The whole thing really is a shame. The Fever are having their best season in recent memory and seem to have one of the better marketing plans in the league. Rebuilds are hard enough without family and fanclub warfare.

This 100%. And to assume Egbo's trade may have something to do with social media rants of fanbases isn't a safe assumption to make. We have no clue what's going on behind the scenes.

This trade is still a head scratcher for me but I hope it works out for both Egbo and Zhaui B in the end.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
I will say on the Mystics end, it makes a lot of sense. Zhaui wasn't playing much and with Austin out, Egbo can at least replicate some of her defensive assets.

The biggest issue for the Fever is at the small forward spot. I like Lexie Hull and Victoria Vivians a lot, but those can't be your only options at the 3 on a competitive team in the W. Which is fine, since the Fever are in the middle of a rebuild and seem to be finally headed in the right direction.

Reaction Score
The Fever making seemingly bad and hasty decisions is pretty much the norm at this point. This is their 3rd departure from that 2022 draft class and I haven't been a fan of any of them.

I'm not surprised they made a trade, I just don't believe they made the right trade. The Fever are currently 5-11 and are on a four game losing streak after what looked like a potentially push for the playoffs. My guess is they wanted AZB for her versatility but her efficiency is not there for it to be worthwhile.

The team is at a crossroads right now where they can stay competitive or they can fall off to a losing streak like last year. I don't like the body language from some of the vets as of late and I think the organization is trying to shake things up because they see it as well. Although I think the shake up should have occurred at the guard position.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
Anyone hear if/when Lou will be able to play for Dallas?

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Okay, my bad on my response. Anyway the trade doesn't make much sense for Indiana. This wasn't like a superstar demanding a trade in the off season. What was the hurry? Not sure why they couldn't have waited to find a better deal before making the trade.

Reaction Score
I'm baffled by the Zahui B for Egbo trade from the Indiana point of view. Egbo looked really good to me, and Zahui hasn't looked great for Washington, plus she costs more.

But then this is the same Fever that cut Engstler, who fit their rebuilding and defense model as well as Egbo.
Going to be interesting to see how this all works out.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
I will say on the Mystics end, it makes a lot of sense. Zhaui wasn't playing much and with Austin out, Egbo can at least replicate some of her defensive assets.

The biggest issue for the Fever is at the small forward spot. I like Lexie Hull and Victoria Vivians a lot, but those can't be your only options at the 3 on a competitive team in the W. Which is fine, since the Fever are in the middle of a rebuild and seem to be finally headed in the right direction.
Many of us thought they had a complementary player to these scorers in one Emily Engstler, who could give rebounding, defense and a very healthy dose of moxie. Well, Lin Dunn and Co. will see EE tonight in Minnesota. Listen, Smith and Boston are major building blocks, for sure, but Egbo and Engstler -- at least in my mind -- offered solid roster spots. Obviously, Christy Sides and Dunn didn't agree, but I would've thought they could've gotten something (anything for Engstler) and something a bit more for Egbo.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Phoenix with maybe their best game of the year, and still lost. 95 points, 9-20 from 3, 5 players in double figures, Taurasi and Griner both with 20+ (and Onyenwere had 19), Cunningham back on the floor. All for naught. Stewie poured in 43, gotta be the only player w/ mulitple 40 point games this season I'm thinking.

edit--so much for my theory that Stewie's FTA are inversely related to her FG%; 13-20 from the floor and 14-16 from the line tonight

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Imagine making business decisions, in the real world, based on what is happening in the make believe world of social media. What have we come to as a species?

Is this like when some of the pop princesses have a beef over pretty much nothing, and their fan bases go to war over it, for years at a time?
Absolutely.

Watching Smith and Boston tonight, there's absolutely nothing negative between them. The interviews of Smith I've seen, she's hard to read, but from my point of view, Boston is just an incredibly warm, nice person.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Stewie scored 14 of the last 16 for NYL. She comes through in crunch time!

Her line: 43/12/6/1/2.

Sue Bird was there watching Stewie, Diana (23), and Mo Jeff (14).

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Phee matched up with NaLyssa in a good one. Phee has 28/6/2/1/1 early in Q4.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Phee matched up with NaLyssa in a good one. Phee has 28/6/2/1/1 early in Q4.
78-70 Lynx with a tad under 6 minutes to go.
Coller being backed up by K-Mac and Allen, with 17 and 14, respectively

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Collier is just killing it lately. Another 30 point game. Lynx will pull their record up to .500 with a W tonight. Certainly Indiana is more competitive than last season, but after a good start they've been getting tagged with a lot of Ls the last several weeks.

edit--oops, 1/2 game under .500; anyway definitely moving on up after a tough start to the season

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Phoenix with maybe their best game of the year, and still lost. 95 points, 9-20 from 3, 5 players in double figures, Taurasi and Griner both with 20+ (and Onyenwere had 19), Cunningham back on the floor. All for naught. Stewie poured in 43, gotta be the only player w/ mulitple 40 point games this season I'm thinking.

edit--so much for my theory that Stewie's FTA are inversely related to her FG%; 13-20 from the floor and 14-16 from the line tonight
On top of it at the end of the game she personally decided to end DT shooting 3's.
Sabrina was terrible many bad turnovers, and bad shots.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Sabrina was terrible many bad turnovers, and bad shots.
That's too bad. I didn't see it, but her stat line looks okay. Closest she's gotten to a triple double in a while.

Reaction Score
Collier is just killing it lately. Another 30 point game. Lynx will pull their record up to .500 with a W tonight. Certainly Indiana is more competitive than last season, but after a good start they've been getting tagged with a lot of Ls the last several weeks.
It’s time to put Collier in the MVP conversation, no chance this Lynx team is anywhere but the cellar without her.

Fever are certainly more competitive but have some head-scratching issues with shot selection. The guards are seldom looking to let go of the ball. Boston had 4 more points than Smith on half as many shots. The team’s apparent refusal to play through her is baffling.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Anybody know what's up with Plum? Didn't start, Clark in her place. I didn't hear anything about an injury. Their thin bench got even thinner. Is Williams ever gonna play this season?

edit--Dallas is thumping them...so clearly KP is their most important player right? :rolleyes:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Phee with 32 again. Minny has gone 8-3 after a 0-6 start.

Diamond Miller had 1 point, but KMac and Allen had 21 and 16, respectively. Dorka battled Boston all night and did ok. She had 6/3/3/1 in 28 minutes. Boston shot 8-9 and 6-6 in a highly efficient effort.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Anybody know what's up with Plum? Didn't start, Clark in her place. I didn't hear anything about an injury. Their thin bench got even thinner. Is Williams ever gonna play this season?

edit--Dallas is thumping them...so clearly KP is their most important player right? :rolleyes:

Dangerfield is 2-2 for 4 points and +14 in 7 minutes.

Reaction Score
It’s time to put Collier in the MVP conversation, no chance this Lynx team is anywhere but the cellar without her.

Fever are certainly more competitive but have some head-scratching issues with shot selection. The guards are seldom looking to let go of the ball. Boston had 4 more points than Smith on half as many shots. The team’s apparent refusal to play through her is baffling.
Coach Sides has yet to change anything despite seeing the same issue week after week in many close winnable games. Everyone continues to be selfish for Indiana and it’s not team basketball. The losses will continue to accumulate until they start doing so.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Phee with 32 again. Minny has gone 8-3 after a 0-6 start.

Diamond Miller had 1 point, but KMac and Allen had 21 and 16, respectively. Dorka battled Boston all night and did ok. She had 6/3/3/1 in 28 minutes. Boston shot 8-9 and 6-6 in a highly efficient effort.
But Boston didn't touch the ball much in the second half. Dorka/the Lynx were very good denying her. OTOH, I think Smith had something like 4 points in the first half and 14 in the second.

Reaction Score
But Boston didn't touch the ball much in the second half. Dorka/the Lynx were very good denying her. OTOH, I think Smith had something like 4 points in the first half and 14 in the second.
Honestly I think her teammates did a better job of denying her. Even when she had her players sealed certain players were looking for their own shots instead of going to the hot hand.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Vegas used a strong Q4 to comeback and win by 89-82. They showed vulnerability without Plum.

Sabally sat out the second half with an illness.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Well, Vegas rode a big second half to a come from behind win. Big game for Young. Howard went off for Dallas. Ognubowale missed a ton of shots. So did Wilson, but she at least got to shoot a bunch of FTs. Sabally missed the second half apparently. Dallas had the all important edge in bench scoring...4-2. Egads. That's 31 bench minutes for LV and 39 bench minutes for Dallas. I mean....seriously?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom