WNBA -- 2023 Season | Page 53 | The Boneyard

WNBA -- 2023 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I got slightly ahead of myself, but now the Lynx really are .500. No DT for Phoenix. 5 Lynx in double figures, but none more than 12 points (Collier). Onyenwere had a game high 24 but very little help for her. I think Minny will be pretty happy any time they get a combined 21 from Carleton and Milic off the bench.
Dorka is rapidly growing into a defensive presence on the court. Coach Reeve lauded her defense against Briney Griner as vital to the win. Love watching the two rookies.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Wings pull the upset. Just caught the end of it but a huge win for the franchise. They won the glass battle down the stretch and got lucky when Parker/Plum both collided going for a rebound which resulted in the ball out of bounds for the Wings which led to last second free throws.
When Big T, Natasha Howard and Sabally are all hitting the glass, that's a lot of height coming at you. Howard's always been a savvy ball-finder and she was in that instance, too.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Dorka is rapidly growing into a defensive presence on the court. Coach Reeve lauded her defense against Briney Griner as vital to the win. Love watching the two rookies.
Dorka's line was so-so: 5 points on 1-6 shooting; 10 rebounds, 4 assists, 2 steals, 1 block, 4 turnovers.

That shows how deceiving a stat line can be. I thought she had her best game of the season. She made Griner's life miserable. The 2 steals was deceptive, as it seemed she was tipping everything. She also seemed to be in the right position denying Griner all night. Brittney wound up with 12 points on 6-12 shooting and seven rebounds. This is after Griner had 23 last game against the Lynx.

Dorka is a sponge learning her position in the WNBA. She's not Aaliyah Boston, but I'll bet Coach Reeve is happy about getting the steal of the draft.

Reaction Score
Dorka's line was so-so: 5 points on 1-6 shooting; 10 rebounds, 4 assists, 2 steals, 1 block, 4 turnovers.

That shows how deceiving a stat line can be. I thought she had her best game of the season. She made Griner's life miserable. The 2 steals was deceptive, as it seemed she was tipping everything. She also seemed to be in the right position denying Griner all night. Brittney wound up with 12 points on 6-12 shooting and seven rebounds. This is after Griner had 23 last game against the Lynx.

Dorka is a sponge learning her position in the WNBA. She's not Aaliyah Boston, but I'll bet Coach Reeve is happy about getting the steal of the draft.
And Dorka comes with the added benefit of a fanbase that doesn’t alienate you from your team by attacking two do your teammates families.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Stewart with another monster game as NY wins. Aces look like the clear cut favorite to earn the #1 seed going into the playoffs but Stewart IMO is the runaway MVP. There is no one in the league that does everything as well as she does, and her numbers are outrageous.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score

Agree with everything you wrote save for the red part. At the halfway point of the season, I'd add a "one of the steals of the draft" to your comment.

I just finished watching Dulcy Fankam Mendjiadeu, the 21st pick of the draft, play for Seattle and she is coming on stronger and stronger every time I see her. And the Storm might've gotten one of the steals of the "non-draft" by signing Ivana Dojkic from Croatia.

Dorka's doing (more than) fine...I just want to see the whole season play out before declaring the one and only.;)

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Agree with everything you wrote save for the red part. At the halfway point of the season, I'd add a "one of the steals of the draft" to your comment.

I just finished watching Dulcy Fankam Mendjiadeu, the 21st pick of the draft, play for Seattle and she is coming on stronger and stronger every time I see her. And the Storm might've gotten one of the steals of the "non-draft" by signing Ivana Dojkic from Croatia.

Dorka's doing (more than) fine...I just want to see the whole season play out before declaring the one and only.;)
Dulcy is a stud. She has a pro body and is a solid finisher inside and rebounds well. I think she was overlooked because she went to USF but she has the tools and tenacity to be an excellent pro. Glad to see she's getting her shot.

Reaction Score
Why go there? No fanbase is perfect including UConn's.
Because this is a second time this week you have players families harrassed by the same fan base and are now asking for trades publicly? I’m not sure a WNBA coach has ever complained about a UConn players fanbase but please correct me if I’m wrong.

Reaction Score
Because this is a second time this week you have players families harrassed by the same fan base and are now asking for trades publicly? I’m not sure a WNBA coach has ever complained about a UConn players fanbase but please correct me if I’m wrong.

What wnba coach has complained about any fan base?

Reaction Score
What wnba coach has complained about any fan base?
Tanisha Wright complained about all the fans yelling at her on Twitter for not playing Amihere early in the season. I don’t think it was the die hard Dream fans clamoring for it…

Reaction Score
Tanisha Wright complained about all the fans yelling at her on Twitter for not playing Amihere early in the season. I don’t think it was the die hard Dream fans clamoring for it…

Maybe not dream fans but it wasn’t just SC fans. And if a coach is bothered by that then maybe they shouldn’t be on social media

bballnut90

Reaction Score
How is it relevant to this thread or Dorka? Maybe let your frustrations out on Twitter where the action is taking place rather than making digs on here where the SC posters are respectful and insightful.

Reaction Score

That Seattle team is better than I expected. Those rookies are steadily improving throughout the season. Dulcy, Horston and Dojkic have all proven their worth, I wouldn't be surprised if two players for the All Rookie team are from Seattle.

Reaction Score
How is it relevant to this thread or Dorka? Maybe let your frustrations out on Twitter where the action is taking place rather than making digs on here where the SC posters are respectful and insightful.
They said Dorka’s not Aliyah’s Boston but she is a sponge. So I added one more bonus beyond just being a sponge. I’d still take Boston over Aliyah but that was why it’s relevant.

I’m not digging at the South a Carolina fans HERE, I agree they are intelligent and respectful. But it seems silly to ignore a real topic of conversation that is relevant to the whole WNBA as Fever players are impacted, CT sun media and a player has been involved, the Chicago Sky have commented and a head coach have all been involved with it at this point, because it doesn’t happen here in this board.

Reaction Score
They said Dorka’s not Aliyah’s Boston but she is a sponge. So I added one more bonus beyond just being a sponge. I’d still take Boston over Aliyah but that was why it’s relevant.

I’m not digging at the South a Carolina fans HERE, I agree they are intelligent and respectful. But it seems silly to ignore a real topic of conversation that is relevant to the whole WNBA as Fever players are impacted, CT sun media and a player has been involved, the Chicago Sky have commented and a head coach have all been involved with it at this point, because it doesn’t happen here in this board.

This all confused me

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Recorded the game today, just watched it. Almost feels like a loss for NY. I was not impressed at all. Consider Loyd had a miserable game, then sat out most of the 4th quarter with an injury. Seattle has been living and dying by the 3, and couldn't hit them at all today. For all that, the Storm had 2 chances to tie or take the lead in the final minute. There's no way this game should've been remotely close. Seattle was scrappy and grabbed a bunch of O boards, I'll give them credit for that. But NY, just not a good game at all.

Whitcomb got off to a slow start this season, but she's really been coming on strong recently. She almost won the game for them just about by herself in the 4th quarter.

Reaction Score
Players and teams unfortunately get harassed by fanbases, regardless of level of ball (HS, AAU, NCAA & WNBA). Social media is also a vacuum that only shows you a small subset of what is happening in the real world. Assuming an entire fanbase is all the same based on the manners of a group of keyboard warriors, is unfair.

It's a jab implying something that no one really knows if it had any impact on what is happening. It comes across petty just to make Dorka look better and in all reality, she's doing just fine without anyone making such observations.

Reaction Score
Recorded the game today, just watched it. Almost feels like a loss for NY. I was not impressed at all. Consider Loyd had a miserable game, then sat out most of the 4th quarter with an injury. Seattle has been living and dying by the 3, and couldn't hit them at all today. For all that, the Storm had 2 chances to tie or take the lead in the final minute. There's no way this game should've been remotely close. Seattle was scrappy and grabbed a bunch of O boards, I'll give them credit for that. But NY, just not a good game at all.

Whitcomb got off to a slow start this season, but she's really been coming on strong recently. She almost won the game for them just about by herself in the 4th quarter.
Outside of Stewie the other 2 frontcourt players, Jones and Laney are not doing well.
Laney gets 3 rebounds a game, that isn't a good number.
Jones plays a good game and 2 bad games. They need her to be consistent
Without Dolson they get nothing from the bench, Sabally is a project, but not ready for big minutes.
Xu Han needs to get healthy and provide some minutes.

Reaction Score
Players and teams unfortunately get harassed by fanbases, regardless of level of ball (HS, AAU, NCAA & WNBA). Social media is also a vacuum that only shows you a small subset of what is happening in the real world. Assuming an entire fanbase is all the same based on the manners of a group of keyboard warriors, is unfair.

It's a jab implying something that no one really knows if it had any impact on what is happening. It comes across petty just to make Dorka look better and in all reality, she's doing just fine without anyone making such observations.
I clearly said not everyone in the fan base is like that. But, currently, Aliyah’s is the only player with this specific problem in the league.

And the comment doesn’t make Dorka look better but a joke with the people harrasing people everyday as the punchline. Alas, y’all can’t take a joke.
So fine, no no nothing to see here, just players getting traded and families asking for their kids to be traded and significant others asking fans to stop harrasing. Totally normal and just a coincidence they haven’t won a game since it started.

Reaction Score
I clearly said not everyone in the fan base is like that. But, currently, Aliyah’s is the only player with this specific problem in the league.

And the comment doesn’t make Dorka look better but a joke with the people harrasing people everyday as the punchline. Alas, y’all can’t take a joke.
So fine, no no nothing to see here, just players getting traded and families asking for their kids to be traded and significant others asking fans to stop harrasing. Totally normal and just a coincidence they haven’t won a game since it started.

Jokes from one person's view don't land with others. And if I recall correctly, some of the blame for this social media kerfuffle lands at the feet of fans who aren't part of the SC fanbase.

Certain family members had to walk back their actions and comments about Boston online. Yes a significant other went online to defend her partner, and that's her right. However that was due to actions of many more people than just one fanbase.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
why don't we know the non-covid illness for brown (and jess shepherd of MINN)?? seems very strange unless I'm just missing the news.
Brown is back practicing. Not sure of her return date.

Reaction Score
Well darn it! If the Wings can beat the Aces, I think Minnesota can do the same! Let's go, Lynx!! Sitting at .500 and moving up in the standings. Not sure what the plan is now. The way they were playing at the start of the year, made we wonder. Now, they are just playing and clicking the right buttons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom