WNBA -- 2023 Season | Page 39 | The Boneyard

WNBA -- 2023 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Lib getting some revenge on the Dream for that loss a couple weeks ago. Finishing off a blowout. JJ having her best game so far in NY, Laney with one of her better outputs of the season. Sloot stat sheet stuffing w/ 16 pts/11 assists/7 steals. Johannes lighting it up from 3 off the bench. All of that means they easily shook off so so games from Stewie and Ionescu.
The beauty of having such a deep bench is that other players can carry a team from time to time. I also thought Thornton was solid.
Hope Steff D. is ok after turning her ankle in the 4th quarter.

Speaking of Thornton, she used to ready the ship for Dallas last year when things got a bit shaky. Didn't see the end of this one because I thought the Sparks would just try again on Sunday against the Wings. Now the shoe is on the other foot. Or, the "Mark-Tubans," to quote the State Farm commercial ;)

Reaction Score
Henny to the rescue for the Sparks. Yet another hardship player for LA who seems to warrant a roster spot!
I was watching the game and thinking the same thing. So happy for Destanni. She is making the most of her opportunity and a huge statement on how she should be on a roster, permanently. Nice comeback win by the Sparks.

Reaction Score
Lib getting some revenge on the Dream for that loss a couple weeks ago. Finishing off a blowout. JJ having her best game so far in NY, Laney with one of her better outputs of the season. Sloot stat sheet stuffing w/ 16 pts/11 assists/7 steals. Johannes lighting it up from 3 off the bench. All of that means they easily shook off so so games from Stewie and Ionescu.
The Liberty has such a nice balanced attack. When Stewie and Sabrina can have subpar games and the Liberty still blowout a team, it speaks volumes about the depth of the Liberty.

Reaction Score
The Liberty has such a nice balanced attack. When Stewie and Sabrina can have subpar games and the Liberty still blowout a team, it speaks volumes about the depth of the Liberty.
On defense they get their hands on balls and everyone goes the other way.
Defensive rebounds they push the ball up the floor.

Reaction Score
Sky have DEFINITELY lost their mojo. When Copper and Mabrey both can't hit a shot to save their life, it's not gonna be their night (combined 4-24 I think).
Chicago looked like the Mercury with a lousy defeatist attitude. Dana Evans is a piece of work. Came in the second half touched the ball and jacked up a shot twice before Wade yanked her. It was clear that Smith was the only Sky who wanted to be on the floor.

Reaction Score
Just an unfair matchup today. Mercury with DT/BG out have just 3 former 1st round picks on the roster (Jefferson #2 in 2016, Onyenwere #6 in 2021, Turner #11 in 2019). I'm not sure they'll win any games without their 2 stars.

Aces comparatively start 4 former #1 draft picks, including 3 who are in the prime of their career right now. The lone starter who wasn't a #1 pick is Chelsea Gray and she has arguably been the best player from her draft class.
Even with DT (who can't compete defensively anymore) and BG - the only fair matchup the Mercury will have is not in the W but against my granddaughter's Middle School team.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Jones also plays on one of the top teams in Europe, Praha(Pravda). Big loss for them, considering Praha were able to sign one of the best pg in Europe, Cazorla of Avenida.

Reaction Score

Maybe we’ll see her again in a Merc uniform this summer? The fact that she’s practicing with Bridget Pettis should be a good sign. No?

Reaction Score
The beauty of having such a deep bench is that other players can carry a team from time to time. I also thought Thornton was solid.
Hope Steff D. is ok after turning her ankle in the 4th quarter.

Speaking of Thornton, she used to ready the ship for Dallas last year when things got a bit shaky. Didn't see the end of this one because I thought the Sparks would just try again on Sunday against the Wings. Now the shoe is on the other foot. Or, the "Mark-Tubans," to quote the State Farm commercial ;)
The Liberty took em to the woodshed last night :eek: this was the first time it looked like Jonquel was in sync with Stewie.

I heard some of the Dream fans were not too pleased with Sabrina :p

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
The Liberty took em to the woodshed last night :eek: this was the first time it looked like Jonquel was in sync with Stewie.

I heard some of the Dream fans were not too pleased with Sabrina :p

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
ugh. What everyone feared

Geez, I hate to hear that. I've loved her since her days at UMD. She's just so damn steady. She never draws attention to herself, then toward the end of the game, you suddenly realize she's got a double-double and has only missed two shots.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score

When Stewie scores 13 and is the team's 5th leading scorer, the Liberty likely win.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Looks like Plum is having another hot shooting night, this time against Indiana. I don't think they are as hapless defensively as some of her other recent victims, correct? Wilson and Boston having good battle it appears.

When Seattle is blowing you out, you know you have problems (Phoenix). edit--and Griner & Taurasi are both back, so they can't use that excuse

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
So for Indiana, you get a combined 44 pts and 20 rebounds from Smith and Boston, Hull scores 15, 13 off the bench for Wallace...and you still lose by 13. I guess that's what happens when you play Vegas. Mitchell came out significantly on the short end of the battle of the Kelseys.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
So for Indiana, you get a combined 44 pts and 20 rebounds from Smith and Boston, Hull scores 15, 13 off the bench for Wallace...and you still lose by 13. I guess that's what happens when you play Vegas. Mitchell came out significantly on the short end of the battle of the Kelseys.
Vegas gets 90+ almost every game. They are tough.

Reaction Score
Defensively they just couldn't stop them which I guess can be said about everyone else as well but Indiana has a lot of youth who that is starting to grow a lot.

My only critique is guard play gets kinda spotty at times but team collectively is way better than last season.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
ESPN.com says the MVP race is basically tied between A'ja and Stewie. I may be biased, but I don't see it.

Stewie leads in the following:

PPG 22.9 to 18.6

RPG 10.8 to 9.3

APG 4.2 to 2.0

3-point shooting 39.7% to 0.0%

FT shooting 83.3% to 75.0%

A'ja leads in these:

BPG 2.2 to 1.9

FG shooting 53.5% to 49.4%

Stewie leads by a wide margin in 5 categories; A'ja leads by a narrow margin in 2.

Wilson is really, really good, but I like Stewie's play this year better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom