WNBA -- 2023 Season | Page 40 | The Boneyard

WNBA -- 2023 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
ESPN.com says the MVP race is basically tied between A'ja and Stewie. I may be biased, but I don't see it.

Stewie leads in the following:

PPG 22.9 to 18.6

RPG 10.8 to 9.3

APG 4.2 to 2.0

3-point shooting 39.7% to 0.0%

FT shooting 83.3% to 75.0%

A'ja leads in these:

BPG 2.2 to 1.9

FG shooting 53.5% to 49.4%

Stewie leads by a wide margin in 5 categories; A'ja leads by a narrow margin in 2.

Wilson is really, really good, but I like Stewie's play this year better.

And I'll add that IMO Aja gets incredible deference from the refs. She shoots a ton of free throws every game and gets a LOT of her points that way. In many of the games I watch I just don't see her getting fouled as much as the refs think she is. And I would add to that Stewie gets fouled a lot and it's not called. In fact from what I see Aja seems to get to line more than any player I have ever seen in the WNBA.

Reaction Score
Which Croatian guard was Jewell Loyd describing here?

The best thing she does is push the ball ahead. She understands flow and knows who to get the ball to. The thing she needs to work on is probably fouling. When you play overseas you can get away with a little bit more than what they call here. She’s adjusting to that and how they call the game. She shoots the ball. She moves the ball. She’s not scared at all, and that’s a battle with any new player coming in. But her confidence is high and she’s not afraid of anything

Reaction Score
ESPN.com says the MVP race is basically tied between A'ja and Stewie. I may be biased, but I don't see it.

Stewie leads in the following:

PPG 22.9 to 18.6

RPG 10.8 to 9.3

APG 4.2 to 2.0

3-point shooting 39.7% to 0.0%

FT shooting 83.3% to 75.0%

A'ja leads in these:

BPG 2.2 to 1.9

FG shooting 53.5% to 49.4%

Stewie leads by a wide margin in 5 categories; A'ja leads by a narrow margin in 2.

Wilson is really, really good, but I like Stewie's play this year better.

I wonder how much emphasis will be put on team success since both teams are clearly loaded, the Aces being top dogs at the moment and the Liberty looking good, too.

Reaction Score

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
I wonder how much emphasis will be put on team success since both teams are clearly loaded, the Aces being top dogs at the moment and the Liberty looking good, too.
Good point, which I was pondering -- just a smidgen -- while pouting a cup of coffee.
This may be the deciding factor as the season progresses.

Reaction Score
The Liberty took em to the woodshed last night :eek: this was the first time it looked like Jonquel was in sync with Stewie.

I heard some of the Dream fans were not too pleased with Sabrina :p

In fairness the fans were already unhappy with the flagrant 1 call on Dolson and the technical Coach Wright incurred arguing the call. Personally, I can see their side because the elbow Amihere took to the face was pretty bad. Heck, I felt the impact watching it in real time and slo-motion.

Ionescu just played up the villian role when she heard the boos while she was shooting. Considering the reason why she was shooting the technical, I didn't find it too becoming of her but it is what it is. If roles were reversed and it was a Liberty player who took that hit, would she tolerate appreciate the opponent doing the same? Fortunately Amihere is okay, but initially it didn't look good when it happened.

Reaction Score
Defensively they just couldn't stop them which I guess can be said about everyone else as well but Indiana has a lot of youth who that is starting to grow a lot.

My only critique is guard play gets kinda spotty at times but team collectively is way better than last season.
For the 1 of 5 good games Mitchell has she has games like last night.
Too many times coming up court at top speed and putting up a bad shot.
While never looking to pass the ball.
They really need a good point guard to take the ball out of her hands.

Reaction Score
Ionescu just played up the villian role when she heard the boos while she was shooting. Considering the reason why she was shooting the technical, I didn't find it too becoming of her but it is what it is. If roles were reversed and it was a Liberty player who took that hit, would she tolerate appreciate the opponent doing the same? Fortunately Amihere is okay, but initially it didn't look good when it happened.
I’m not sure it should have even been a flagrant 1. Not only was a it a normal basketball move, if you watch the video closely Amihere leans in leans in after the first elbow passes in front of her and that’s how she gets caught by the second elbow. It’s rates for the second elbow to be the contact elbow so I watched it a few times to figure out why.

That being said, in regards to Sabrina, Atlanta fans specially have been harassing her on social media since before the season even started. With her team up 30 salute her for silencing that crowd, especially when they are booing about a call already made in their favor down 30.

Reaction Score

Maybe we’ll see her again in a Merc uniform this summer? The fact that she’s practicing with Bridget Pettis should be a good sign. No?

I am not sure about this year but I am hoping that Skylar is able to finish her career with Phoenix. Such a great talent that I would hate to see her bounce from team to team. But again, sometimes, change is good. You gotta go where you are wanted vs tolerated.

Reaction Score
That is why I am surprised, or maybe they did reach out, that no offer to sign a point guard, say a Destanni Henderson, when, as a coach, you know you needed a decent point guard, was made.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
And I'll add that IMO Aja gets incredible deference from the refs. She shoots a ton of free throws every game and gets a LOT of her points that way. In many of the games I watch I just don't see her getting fouled as much as the refs think she is. And I would add to that Stewie gets fouled a lot and it's not called. In fact from what I see Aja seems to get to line more than any player I have ever seen in the WNBA.
This was interesting. So, for what it's worth, I went to the WNBA and ESPN sites and here's what's on the cyber pages. I believe I read these right.
  • Stewie and A'ja both take an average of 7.1 free throws per game, with Stewie hitting 5.9 (83 percent) and A'ja 5.2 per game (5.2).
Now, whether you think A'ja should get those calls is an entirely different matter. But they're both getting to the line...equally.
  • FWIW, Jewell is next closest at 7.0 attempts per game and she hits 6.0 per game (85.7%).
  • Brittany Griner is next at 6.0 attempts per game and 5.0 made (83.3%).

Last edited:

Dillon77

Reaction Score
@baggerbob :"That is why I am surprised, or maybe they did reach out, that no offer to sign a point guard, say a Destanni Henderson, when, as a coach, you know you needed a decent point guard, was made."

In this specific case (Indiana vs. Los Angeles), what's interesting is -- as you may recall -- Destanni Henderson was on the Fever team, but they cut her. Instead, they chose to sign Erica Wheeler (who came from Atlanta, along with the new coach) and draft Grace Berger.

So, Lin Dunn, Christie Sides et al seem to have made a decision on who they want distributing the ball. Now whether that's the right decision for now and/or in the future, is another story. As for Ms. Mitchell, she is at her best when she moves downhill, kind of like Arike, but -- like you say -- what you say is what you get.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think Destanni's capabilities are maximized by the Sparks offense. I believe that factors into her career night with the Sparks and why she was let go by the Fever.

Reaction Score
That is simply not true. Stewie despite her game not being as post centric as a Wilson gets a much more favorable whistle. She leads the league in FT attempts again this season. In recent years I believe A'ja has gotten more veteran like Stewie type whistle but percentage wise I definitely think it's not the same given the amount of contact she often up against all game.

One of my pet peeves with WNBA officiating is that they often overlook true post players in the physicality they deal with, but they are quick to call those players on much less contact on the other end. Players such as Wilson, Syl, BG, McCowan, Bri Jones and currently Boston all suffer from this.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
Ugh! On the brighter side, Stewie and Kelsey Plum had the same injury/surgery and came back better than ever. Best wished to Brionna!
Maybe the best example is Brionna's teammate, friend, mentor and fellow Turtle Alyssa Thomas, who made an amazing recovery from Achilles surgery as documented in NESN's film "The Comeback". You can bet AT will play a large supporting role in Breezy's rehab.

Reaction Score

While this is long overdue and may anticipate the return of the diva from Notre Dame, handling of this shows how dysfunctional and disorganized the Mercury organization is.

This should have happened at the end of last season.

From The Athletic

"However, Nygaard struggled with some of the interpersonal aspects of being a head coach, as prized free-agent signee Tina Charles asked to leave midway through the year, and Diggins-Smith called her coach a clown on Twitter. It’s unclear if Nygaard and Diggins-Smith even have a relationship with the star point guard on maternity leave. Her absence, and the lack of clarity on her return, have been a cloud over Phoenix’s season. — Merchant"

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Maybe the best example is Brionna's teammate, friend, mentor and fellow Turtle Alyssa Thomas, who made an amazing recovery from Achilles surgery as documented in NESN's film "The Comeback". You can bet AT will play a large supporting role in Breezy's rehab.
I had forgotten that was AT's injury.

Reaction Score
The Liberty survive a horrible shooting game and beat the Mystics in OT. The Mystics may have lost more than just the game, as Austin went down a few minutes in the 4th with what they are calling a hip injury.
I’m not sold on this Liberty team. I don’t remember when Jones played well consistently. If only they could manage a trade for a better big, like BG.

Reaction Score
The Liberty survive a horrible shooting game and beat the Mystics in OT. The Mystics may have lost more than just the game, as Austin went down a few minutes in the 4th with what they are calling a hip injury.
I’m not sold on this Liberty team. I don’t remember when Jones played well consistently. If only they could manage a trade for a better big, like BG.
I hope that Austin is okay. She was having a pretty amazing season. As for New York, they still are up there with Las Vegas as the team to beat. Granted Stewie had a horrible shooting game but what makes New York so tough to beat is the many options that they have offensively. Sabrina had a great shooting game. As for Jones, not sure what is going on with that situation, but New York is still pretty solid even with her struggling in that system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom