WNBA -- 2023 Season | Page 35 | The Boneyard

WNBA -- 2023 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
I clicked on the WNBA site to the Minnesota Lynx game-day roster and guess what I saw? A line in a boxscore with initials "E.E."
A cross-check reveals that...the Engstler has landed! In Minnesota. I didn't see it on this thread, but sure enough the Lynx put out a tweet about it. She hasn't seen the floor yet tonight, but perhaps a chance this game or coming up once she gets acclimated.

Last edited:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Minnesota had a good second half (43-29) to beat L.A. Chiney and Jasmine played, but limited minutes. Dorka did well on defense--Nneka had only 8--but was only 2-6 on FTs. Phee had 25 on 9-13 shooting and may have jumped to 4th or 5th in the W in scoring. She's clearly playing at an All-Star level.

Reaction Score
I came across this today:

Evidently WNBA teams are allowed to fly only on one charter service, and that service only serves the metro areas of five of the teams. LA, Vegas, Phoenix, Dallas, and New York (Westchester) are served. You could in principle get to Connecticut in a two-hour bus ride from Westchester. But there's nothing remotely close to Seattle, Minneapolis, Chicago, Washington, Atlanta, or Indianapolis.

So it's okay for five teams to take charters to four other cities. Gee, that's a relief.
Like the priority rula, another stupid rule

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Minnesota had a good second half (43-29) to beat L.A. Chiney and Jasmine played, but limited minutes. Dorka did well on defense--Nneka had only 8--but was only 2-6 on FTs. Phee had 25 on 9-13 shooting and may have jumped to 4th or 5th in the W in scoring. She's clearly playing at an All-Star level.
At halftime, it looked like LA was going to extend their lead and get a fairly casual W. But the entire Lynx team played better D and evened it in the third. "Phee and K-Mac finished it off at the end of the game, which is what you expect current/former all-stars to do.
LA missed having Lexie Brown, but Minnesota didn't have Jess Shepard who moves the ball so well. Road wins have been commonplace the latter part of this week in the W.

Reaction Score
I clicked on the WNBA site to the Minnesota Lynx game-day roster and look at what I saw?
A cross-check reveals that...the Engstler has landed! In Minnesota. I didn't see it on this thread, but sure enough the Lynx put out a tweet about it. She hasn't seen the floor yet tonight, but perhaps a chance.

Yeah. I am happy that we got Emily here in Minnesota. Her skill set is going to be a huge plus for the Lynx, if she can get some minutes on the floor. The timing stinks though. With Carleton & Milic now getting quality minutes, Engstler is going to be the odd person out. We will see what develops. I am just happy that a talented player like Engstler is on a team, especially my Lynx squad. We play the Aces tomorrow and then another game against the Sparks.

Reaction Score
At halftime, it looked like LA was going to extend their lead and get a fairly casual W. But the entire Lynx team played better D and evened it in the third. "Phee and K-Mac finished it off at the end of the game, which is what you expect current/former all-stars to do.
LA missed having Lexie Brown, but Minnesota didn't have Jess Shepard who moves the ball so well. Road wins have been commonplace the latter part of this week in the W.
Heck yeah. Shep has solid court vision. If some of the players could make shots, Shep would have a double/double every game and possible a triple double. She is a beast on the glass as well.

Reaction Score
Breanna Stewart? Alyssa Thomas? Nneka? And then once Candace and Jonquel get settled with their teams I’d put them in the list, personally. She’s having a great Rookie season but let’s not get ahead of ourselves.
GoChips20 said:
Is it time to start talking about Aliyah Boston as one of the top posts in the league? Short of BG and Wilson I’m not sure I can think of anyone definitively better. She’s certainly playing to the level of the Cheyenne Parkers and Ezi Magbegors of the W.

Hoopsnloops32:

I'm taking a guess that @GoChips20 is referring to Ms. Boston as a true back-to-the-basket center (read: more traditional post), whereas the players you bring up are not really thought of as centers per se. Stewie, Thomas and Candace can all play in the paint, but they're not 5's/posts/centers in my initial description. Nneka...sure. Jonquel..in many instances, sure.

All that said, I agree with your point that let's Aliyah get through more of the season before we start posting her as among the leagues' best. I think she's going to be....

Interestingly, the player that could be compared to those you mention is her running mate, Na'Lyssa Smith...more of a forward.
Yes, that’s correct. In my opinion, Stewie and A. Thomas are pretty clearly two of the three best players in the league to date this season (shoutout to Jackie Young as well), but I would consider their natural positions to be 4s more so than 5s.

Reaction Score
Yes, that’s correct. In my opinion, Stewie and A. Thomas are pretty clearly two of the three best players in the league to date this season (shoutout to Jackie Young as well), but I would consider their natural positions to be 4s more so than 5s.
That still makes them post players though.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
All that said, I agree with your point that let's Aliyah get through more of the season before we start posting her as among the leagues' best. I think she's going to be....
Unless she has a sudden regression, I think she's one of the best now.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Wow, Jewell and Arike had quite a scoring duel. Storm get the win though. That seems like the kind of game the Wings really should be winning.

Seattle was on fire from the arc, especially Jewell, Kia, and Sami. 17-34 was close to the W record. I'm not surprised that Dallas had 103, but shocked that the Storm has 109.

Arike (now pronounced Ar-ike) had 41, Jewell had 39, Crystal had 16 in her return, and Kia had 11. A fun game.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Looks like Russell was back in the starting lineup after coming off the bench for a couple games. Dojkic scored in double figures again, she's been doing that regularly. She's gotta be among the candidates for all rookie team at this point. Boston is running away w/ ROY, but I'm thinking she might be the biggest surprise so far out of this crop of newcomers.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Looks like Russell was back in the starting lineup after coming off the bench for a couple games. Dojkic scored in double figures again, she's been doing that regularly. She's gotta be among the candidates for all rookie team at this point. Boston is running away w/ ROY, but I'm thinking she might be the biggest surprise so far out of this crop of newcomers.
- Coach Quinn trusts Dojkic with the keys to the Storm: she played 32:30, had 7 assists to go with the 14 pts. She did have 4 turnovers, but she had the ball in her hands all the time. As Swoopes pointed out, great pick-up....yes a first-year WNBA player, but a 25-year-old with international experience. Kudos to whomever found her in the Seattle front office/coaching staff. BTW, Jade Melbourne spelled Dojkic for 7+ minutes, but Yvonne Turner didn't play (coaches decision.).

- Russell had a double-double (12 points, 10 rebounds).

-

Dillon77

Reaction Score
ISeattle was on fire from the arc, especially Jewell, Kia, and Sami. 17-34 was close to the W record. I'm not surprised that Dallas had 103, but shocked that the Storm has 109.

Arike (now pronounced Ar-ike) had 41, Jewell had 39, Crystal had 16 in her return, and Kia had 11. A fun game.
A Saturday-afternoon matinee that was a blast to watch. And it was fun for this ND alum to watch the Duel of the Domers (ND-speak for Alumni) within the game. Jewell was 12-21 from the floor (57.1%), 7-12 from three-pt. land (58.3%) and 8-10 from the FT line.
She also had a nickel of rebounds and assists.

Arike, for her, was remarkably efficient: 13-24 from the floor (54.2%), 7-14 from three (50%) and 8-8 from the line, along with three assists and steals.

Will have to see if Marina Mabrey's hot stroke continues tomorrow in D.C. ;)

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Wow, Jewell and Arike had quite a scoring duel. Storm get the win though. That seems like the kind of game the Wings really should be winning.
Didn’t catch
A Saturday-afternoon matinee that was a blast to watch. And it was fun for this ND alum to watch the Duel of the Domers (ND-speak for Alumni) within the game. Jewell was 12-21 from the floor (57.1%), 7-12 from three-pt. land (58.3%) and 8-10 from the FT line.
She also had a nickel of rebounds and assists.

Arike, for her, was remarkably efficient: 13-24 from the floor (54.2%), 7-14 from three (50%) and 8-8 from the line, along with three assists and steals.

Will have to see if Marina Mabrey's hot stroke continues tomorrow in D.C. ;)
I still wish we got to see Loyd play a 4th year in 2015-16 when they also had Turner/Arike/Mabrey. Even without her they were a 1 loss team entering the tournament but with her they would’ve been a heck of a team to watch.

Reaction Score
My Minnesota Lynx got the late game tonight against Las Vegas. I am curious to see if Coach Reeve has Engstler on the court tonight. I am still of the belief that Emily is a game changer, if given the right situation. Just her ability to play both ends of the court, especially her defense and rebounding intensity, brings so much to a team. We will see what happens.

Reaction Score
Seattle was on fire from the arc, especially Jewell, Kia, and Sami. 17-34 was close to the W record. I'm not surprised that Dallas had 103, but shocked that the Storm has 109.

Certainly offensive fire power. Unsurprising score given these are two of the worst defensive teams in the W.

Reaction Score
Phoenix had no chance without BG and Dee. Or maybe even with them.
Mercury could easily lose out the season.

Hopefully this is the GOAT's last year and Mercury ownership finds a real coach for the team next year. And some players would help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom