WNBA -- 2023 Season | Page 34 | The Boneyard

WNBA -- 2023 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I've now watched Dojkic in three games and think Seattle most certainly has something. She's a smooth athlete and very assured in her manner. Melbourne, who is only 20 (?), turned the corner and drove in with her left hand on a very smooth lay-up. I like pairing either/having both of them with Whitcomb for now, who sets a good tone.
(Mentors can be a good thing for player development!)
Yeah. Dojkic is going to be a nice addition for Seattle. That was a huge win for Seattle against Phoenix. Hopefully they can build on the win.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Mabrey ballin tonight
Up to 36 with 2+ minutes left. Problem is with no Copper and Courtney Williams shooting 0-8, Indiana is just faceguarding her now and daring anyone else to beat them. Dana Evans is getting her shot in the fouth, but it's basically her and Mabrey.

Last edited:

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Wow. Tied at 90 after Evans goes 1-2 from FT line with 7 seconds left. Kelsey Mitchell hits a step back 2 with 1.1 seconds left.
Indiana blankets Mabrey and Evans and Alanna Smith misses a long three. Indiana 92-90.

It's interesting. Chicago scored enough to win this game, even without Copper, but I thought their defense left them down. Mitchell and Wheeler were constantly breaking down the Sky and either shooting or dishing for easy layups. Got to work on those switches, Coach Wade. Can't waste performances like Mabrey (36 pts.) and Evans (21, off the bench).

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Sparks are thin for tomorrows game vs Lynx. Two players listed as "Questionable" better play otherwise Sparks will only have 7 players available.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Looks like Seattle hung around for a while, then LV cruised to the win. But only 8 FTA for the Aces, at home? Seriously? Was Seattle just not even playing defense at all? I find that REALLY hard to believe. Only 2 players attempted a FT. That is just bizarre.

Aces are actually scoring a few buckets in garbage time, unlike that disaster against Chicago I think it was (outscored 16-2 in 5+ minutes).

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Actually it's Seattle getting a nothing burger from their bench.

They've taken Russell out of the starting lineup recently, going with a smaller group of starters. It does not appear that is improving her performance.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I see. It appears Hammon declined the opportunity to put all 5 subs in together this time. They are really stretching the lead at the end with a few starters mixed in.

Reaction Score
ATL suddenly flexing some muscles.

This WNBA season is looking a lot more interesting than the preseason narrative of 2 super teams and nobody else matters.
Agreed. Vegas looks clear of the field, they are a super team that has multiple MVP caliber players in their prime.

NY has a ton of talent, but Stewart is the one one playing at MVP level. They haven’t separated themselves from the field at all, yet.

It’s weird seeing Minnesota, Seattle, and Phoenix in the cellar of the standings. Those franchises have had lots of success in the past decade. Signaling the next generation in the W.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I came across this today:

Evidently WNBA teams are allowed to fly only on one charter service, and that service only serves the metro areas of five of the teams. LA, Vegas, Phoenix, Dallas, and New York (Westchester) are served. You could in principle get to Connecticut in a two-hour bus ride from Westchester. But there's nothing remotely close to Seattle, Minneapolis, Chicago, Washington, Atlanta, or Indianapolis.

So it's okay for five teams to take charters to four other cities. Gee, that's a relief.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
Wow. Tied at 90 after Evans goes 1-2 from FT line with 7 seconds left. Kelsey Mitchell hits a step back 2 with 1.1 seconds left.
Indiana blankets Mabrey and Evans and Alanna Smith misses a long three. Indiana 92-90.

It's interesting. Chicago scored enough to win this game, even without Copper, but I thought their defense left them down. Mitchell and Wheeler were constantly breaking down the Sky and either shooting or dishing for easy layups. Got to work on those switches, Coach Wade. Can't waste performances like Mabrey (36 pts.) and Evans (21, off the bench).
The Fever and Sky sure put on a show when they get together.

Reaction Score
Is it time to start talking about Aliyah Boston as one of the top posts in the league? Short of BG and Wilson I’m not sure I can think of anyone definitively better. She’s certainly playing to the level of the Cheyenne Parkers and Ezi Magbegors of the W.

Reaction Score
Is it time to start talking about Aliyah Boston as one of the top posts in the league? Short of BG and Wilson I’m not sure I can think of anyone definitively better. She’s certainly playing to the level of the Cheyenne Parkers and Ezi Magbegors of the W.
I've watched most of her games. She only seemed to struggle against BG. She had moments against A'ja but A'ja definitely won the matchup. All other match ups she has been the dominant post with exception of her foul trouble in the first few games. The past 2-3 games opponents have double-teamed her and tried to move her away from the basket. It's kind of crazy that she is already having this happen not even a quarter of the way into her rookie season.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
The Fever and Sky sure put on a show when they get together.
Boy, do they ever.
To be specific, I thought the Sky missed Copper as much for her defense and rebounding, as for her offense. She plays great weakside defense, fills passing lanes and rebounds. All missed last night. Look forward to the next match-up.

Reaction Score

She’s acclimated so well. Will easily be in the MVP conversation within the next couple years.

Reaction Score
Breanna Stewart? Alyssa Thomas? Nneka? And then once Candace and Jonquel get settled with their teams I’d put them in the list, personally. She’s having a great Rookie season but let’s not get ahead of ourselves.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Breanna Stewart? Alyssa Thomas? Nneka? And then once Candace and Jonquel get settled with their teams I’d put them in the list, personally. She’s having a great Rookie season but let’s not get ahead of ourselves.

GoChips20 said:

Hoopsnloops32:

I'm taking a guess that @GoChips20 is referring to Ms. Boston as a true back-to-the-basket center (read: more traditional post), whereas the players you bring up are not really thought of as centers per se. Stewie, Thomas and Candace can all play in the paint, but they're not 5's/posts/centers in my initial description. Nneka...sure. Jonquel..in many instances, sure.

All that said, I agree with your point that let's Aliyah get through more of the season before we start posting her as among the leagues' best. I think she's going to be....

Interestingly, the player that could be compared to those you mention is her running mate, Na'Lyssa Smith...more of a forward.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Sparks are thin for tomorrows game vs Lynx. Two players listed as "Questionable" better play otherwise Sparks will only have 7 players available.

I mean, they are playing my Lynx so who knows what could happen in that game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020

Top Bottom