WNBA -- 2023 Season | Page 33 | The Boneyard

WNBA -- 2023 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Ah... Given that she was a third round draft pick in a weak draft class and then flamed out of the W in one season, I'd hope Nika would look to any number of other former Huskies as better role models for transitioning to the pro game...

I think "flamed out" is an unfair assessment, especially from someone as articulate as you.

Saniya's stats were modest, but I recall watching several of her games. She was the only player on the team who shared the ball and tried to run any offense. She was marginal as a WNBA player, but I've seen worse players with longer careers.

Reaction Score
Dallas looked liked the team that was starting the game at 11 am local time. Horrible angles, velocities, and decisions on their passes and missed far too many makeable shots (not great shot selection to boot). Kalani was the offensive bright spot by making herself present, staying within herself, and crashing the boards. N Ogwumike had a tremendous 1st half and when they switched Howard on her, Hamby went off in the 3rd quarter. Canada has been playing solidly recently as well. After blowing 2 big leads against inferior competition, LA made sure to take care of business in today's matinee.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Dallas looked liked the team that was starting the game at 11 am local time. Horrible angles, velocities, and decisions on their passes and missed far too many makeable shots (not great shot selection to boot). Kalani was the offensive bright spot by making herself present, staying within herself, and crashing the boards. N Ogwumike had a tremendous 1st half and when they switched Howard on her, Hamby went off in the 3rd quarter. Canada has been playing solidly recently as well. After blowing 2 big leads against inferior competition, LA made sure to take care of business in today's matinee.
Glad to see Brown finding her groove. She was such a stud in college and seemed way too talented to not make her mark in the pros.

Reaction Score
Glad to see Brown finding her groove. She was such a stud in college and seemed way too talented to not make her mark in the pros.
For maybe the 1st time in her WNBA career, she looks comfortable. Partly because McCowan is in Turkey, Kuier still has a way to go, and neither Sabally nor Howard are traditional posts and partly because her teammates are looking for her and she seems to have an established role. Being relaxed and letting the game come to you vs. nervous that if you have a bad outing, it might be your last opportunity.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
DT should have joined Sue, and Sylvia, and retired after last year.
Defensively she can't guard anyone at this stage of her career.
And when has she ever had a game she played 20 minutes and didn't score?
Sometimes great ones won't accept the fact that father time catches up with everyone.
She can still be effective offensively. Last year as well as this season when she's good, she's still really good. But she does have plenty of off games. And as you said, she's a complete liability on defense. Has been for several years now.

Reaction Score
I personally think the biggest issue for Brown has always been her conditioning/physical shape, not her actual talent or ability. The things she is doing now doesn't surprise me, she has always been a great rebounder and has nice footwork around the rim. She has improved her conditioning and is showing out now that she has her opportunity.

Each week she looks more comfortable. I'm sure there is a lot of stress to maintain spots on rosters these days in the WNBA.

Reaction Score
She can still be effective offensively. Last year as well as this season when she's good, she's still really good. But she does have plenty of off games. And as you said, she's a complete liability on defense. Has been for several years now.
Great ones should not tarnish their legacy. Sue, and Sylvia made the right choice, don't get buried on a bad team.
Phoenix is not a good team, and probably won't be this year.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
3 thoughts that have registered in the WNBA Mac file of my brain.

- I feel like Dallas goes from one version of .500 +/- ball (more or less) to another. Isn't the mission of a general manager to make sure her/his team gets better? Yes, Greg Bibb made some radical moves at the end of last year, but I'm not so sure they were the right ones.

If you remember, Arike O. was out for an extended period with an injury and Dallas went to a line-up with Veronica Burton at point guard, Allisha Gray and Marina Mabrey at the 2/3 and an under-sized Kayla Thornton at the #4. And Big T finally starts interacting with her teammates. Guess what? They probably played their best ball of the year and make the playoffs.

So, what does Bibb do? He gets rid of Gray, Thornton and Mabrey, who have all gone to teams that have an idea of what they want to be and how to get there.

Now, I know Dallas has injuries and/or players missing. And, yes, they always seem to get draft picks out of the deals. But Bibb will overdraft at one position or another as he's done in the past (center for awhile, wing this year.)
And, even when everyone is back, will it work? Arike and Satou love to have the ball in their hands and so does Diamond DeShields. I think Sabally and Howard tend to get in each other's way shuffling from the pain to the arc and while Big T and Brown can score from inside, neither is all that mobile as a defensive stopper.

If I'm Dallas mgmt, if this cha-cha continues, might consider a new view from the GM chair.

- I like Kayla Thornton and I like Betnijah Laney, but aren't they kind of duplicative for the Liberty? Perhaps that isn't a bad thing when Stewie, Sloot, Ionescu and Johannes are clicking. But I sometimes think a variation on that theme -- namely, the Spider herself, Rebeca Allen -- might have been a better person to pair with either Laney or Thornton in that slot. As for Spider, she looks like a bit out of sync with the Sun: Thornton would be a natural there.

- As said elsewhere, the Storm might eventually win by losing. Jordon Horston is an athlete at small forward who can attack the boards while slashing when going downhill. Jade Melbourne was drafted and looks like she'll get better, but Ivana Dojkic looks like one of those vets James Wade sneaks into the W.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
A couple things Dillon:
  • On Dallas: What's unknown is how much Mabrey and Gray expressed their desire to leave Dallas. The team is committed to Arike for a very long time, and a healthy Satou adds a whole new dimension they haven't had yet. They are also, again, stocking up on draft picks. (They are almost the opposite of Chicago)
  • On Laney/Thornton: kid of duplicative, kind of not. Neither Ionescu nor Vandersloot are all world defenders on the perimeter, so they need someone like Laney to help guard folks like Loyd, Arike, etc. Laney can play the 1-3, MAYBE a stretch 4 on offense. I'd say Thornton is more of a 3-5.
  • Now that Ivana is in starting lineup, very interested on how that changes things for the Storm.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
A couple things Dillon:
  • On Dallas: What's unknown is how much Mabrey and Gray expressed their desire to leave Dallas. The team is committed to Arike for a very long time, and a healthy Satou adds a whole new dimension they haven't had yet. They are also, again, stocking up on draft picks. (They are almost the opposite of Chicago)
  • On Laney/Thornton: kid of duplicative, kind of not. Neither Ionescu nor Vandersloot are all world defenders on the perimeter, so they need someone like Laney to help guard folks like Loyd, Arike, etc. Laney can play the 1-3, MAYBE a stretch 4 on offense. I'd say Thornton is more of a 3-5.
  • Now that Ivana is in starting lineup, very interested on how that changes things for the Storm.
I welcome all back-and-forths! Thanks,

- As for Dallas, Gray wanted out, that's for sure. Mabrey expressed no feelings to staying or going. Arike is one of her best friends but Marina has noted basketball is a business and that she and A are always going to be friends.
Per those draft choices, I'd normally say "yay," but Bibb is notorious for stocking up on the same positions at once.
Look at the wing position now. (BTW, I think Abby Meyers would've been a better stick than Joens...she can stick the three and move the ball.).

Reaction Score
Great ones should not tarnish their legacy. Sue, and Sylvia made the right choice, don't get buried on a bad team.
Phoenix is not a good team, and probably won't be this year.
Didn’t the Lynx not make the play-off last year? I don’t think DT is much concerned about her legacy, when she retires I expect it to be announced during the off season with as little fan fare as possible.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Huh!? Some if ya'll said she wouldn't be ready for the W and would win rookie of the year based off of she is :oops:
Anyone who thought Boston wouldn't be great in the W is most likely jaded by a dislike for South Carolina. I've thought for some time that she's a can't-miss in the pros. She's got good size, good moves, good hands, good shot, and a good motor.

Reaction Score
P
3 thoughts that have registered in the WNBA Mac file of my brain.

- I feel like Dallas goes from one version of .500 +/- ball (more or less) to another. Isn't the mission of a general manager to make sure her/his team gets better? Yes, Greg Bibb made some radical moves at the end of last year, but I'm not so sure they were the right ones.

If you remember, Arike O. was out for an extended period with an injury and Dallas went to a line-up with Veronica Burton at point guard, Allisha Gray and Marina Mabrey at the 2/3 and an under-sized Kayla Thornton at the #4. And Big T finally starts interacting with her teammates. Guess what? They probably played their best ball of the year and make the playoffs.

So, what does Bibb do? He gets rid of Gray, Thornton and Mabrey, who have all gone to teams that have an idea of what they want to be and how to get there.

Now, I know Dallas has injuries and/or players missing. And, yes, they always seem to get draft picks out of the deals. But Bibb will overdraft at one position or another as he's done in the past (center for awhile, wing this year.)
And, even when everyone is back, will it work? Arike and Satou love to have the ball in their hands and so does Diamond DeShields. I think Sabally and Howard tend to get in each other's way shuffling from the pain to the arc and while Big T and Brown can score from inside, neither is all that mobile as a defensive stopper.

If I'm Dallas mgmt, if this cha-cha continues, might consider a new view from the GM chair.

- I like Kayla Thornton and I like Betnijah Laney, but aren't they kind of duplicative for the Liberty? Perhaps that isn't a bad thing when Stewie, Sloot, Ionescu and Johannes are clicking. But I sometimes think a variation on that theme -- namely, the Spider herself, Rebeca Allen -- might have been a better person to pair with either Laney or Thornton in that slot. As for Spider, she looks like a bit out of sync with the Sun: Thornton would be a natural there.

- As said elsewhere, the Storm might eventually win by losing. Jordon Horston is an athlete at small forward who can attack the boards while slashing when going downhill. Jade Melbourne was drafted and looks like she'll get better, but Ivana Dojkic looks like one of those vets James Wade sneaks into the W.
Yes, the Wings went 6-3 late last season when Ogunbowale was out with the abdominal injury. Not only did they lose Mabrey, A Gray, & KT, but Izzy and Tyasha were also key contributors during that stretch and they are now in Chi & CT. Teams can often do well for short periods of time when they lose their key cog because others step up, opponents relax/are unfamiliar how to defend the newfangled offense, etc.

As far as this year is concerned, I think that it is unfair to judge them until most of their pieces return (as you somewhat alluded). McCowan, DeShields, Dangerfield, and even Sénéchal could all play a large role in their success. I think that Sabally (mired in a shooting slump) is versatile enough to not demand the ball as well as let Howard carve out her role (which has been a work in progress). Of course, Satou will shoot and create when the ball finds her, sometimes after her own defensive rebound.

I completely agree with you regarding Kalani's defense and if you read my game write-up, I mentioned her offense being a bright spot. Nneka was far too savvy for her in the 1st half as Kalani went for blocks instead of moving her feet and she was unable to slow down Hamby's array of moves in the 3rd quarter.

Which brings us to Arike. I think that she is currently the most entertaining player in WNBA (don't know why she passed on Proprietary Toasting Technology) because she can create and make shots out of thin air. Even her gambling defense is captivating. However, as many have mentioned in this thread, she demands the ball too much, shoots too many low % shots (sometimes looks like she's in a "I can top your shot" contest with an opponent), and is even careless/not fundamental with her passing. Today she tried to make a spectacular pass that resulted in a turnover and then when she drew the double-team and stepped through, her skip pass didn't have enough oomph on it to enable Burton to swing it in time to give Ogunbowale the chance for the hockey assist.

So my question is: can Arike modify her game to utilize her enormous talents, while optimizing the Wing's success? If so (and if they get everyone back), I think they could be a high quality team.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
P

Yes, the Wings went 6-3 late last season when Ogunbowale was out with the abdominal injury. Not only did they lose Mabrey, A Gray, & KT, but Izzy and Tyasha were also key contributors during that stretch and they are now in Chi & CT. Teams can often do well for short periods of time when they lose their key cog because others step up, opponents relax/are unfamiliar how to defend the newfangled offense, etc.

As far as this year is concerned, I think that it is unfair to judge them until most of their pieces return (as you somewhat alluded). McCowan, DeShields, Dangerfield, and even Sénéchal could all play a large role in their success. I think that Sabally (mired in a shooting slump) is versatile enough to not demand the ball as well as let Howard carve out her role (which has been a work in progress). Of course, Satou will shoot and create when the ball finds her, sometimes after her own defensive rebound.

I completely agree with you regarding Kalani's defense and if you read my game write-up, I mentioned her offense being a bright spot. Nneka was far too savvy for her in the 1st half as Kalani went for blocks instead of moving her feet and she was unable to slow down Hamby's array of moves in the 3rd quarter.

Which brings us to Arike. I think that she is currently the most entertaining player in WNBA (don't know why she passed on Proprietary Toasting Technology) because she can create and make shots out of thin air. Even her gambling defense is captivating. However, as many have mentioned in this thread, she demands the ball too much, shoots too many low % shots (sometimes looks like she's in a "I can top your shot" contest with an opponent), and is even careless/not fundamental with her passing. Today she tried to make a spectacular pass that resulted in a turnover and then when she drew the double-team and stepped through, her skip pass didn't have enough oomph on it to enable Burton to swing it in time to give Ogunbowale the chance for the hockey assist.

So my question is: can Arike modify her game to utilize her enormous talents, while optimizing the Wing's success? If so (and if they get everyone back), I think they could be a high quality team.

This is the same question I wonder about as well. I recall a commentator mentioning that Coach Trammel said that she wanted Arike to distribute more this season as one of her goals. Time will tell whether she accomplishes this to her liking.

And I don't know why she turned down Cuban's proposal either. Cuban sandwiches are a hard thing to turn down man!:D

Dillon77

Reaction Score
As promised, another edition of Richard Cohen's Weekly Update on the W, from herhoopsstats.
This one is timely in that he addresses:
  • The state of the weather in Phoenix;
  • Current and future personnel in Dallas (just why are hardship players getting more PT than regulars?)
  • A tip of the hat to Karlie S.

Enjoy!

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
Arike is also averaging an absurd 37.3mpg, which would run down even the fittest player. With Dangerfield and Deshields injured I guess the coach feels like she doesn't have much other scoring options in the backcourt, though Sims has been a very nice addition thus far.

Reaction Score
As promised, another edition of Richard Cohen's Weekly Update on the W, from herhoopsstats.
This one is timely in that he addresses:
  • The state of the weather in Phoenix;
  • Current and future personnel in Dallas (just why are hardship players getting more PT than regulars?)
  • A tip of the hat to Karlie S.

Enjoy!

A dozen posters beat Cohen to the punch regarding Karlie (obviously, he is constrained with a weekly article covering 4 or 5 topics).

We are generally in accord with his 4 tiers, but what stood out to me was the Mystics. They have an intact core, have been relatively unaffected by injuries, had a great opening night victory over the Liberty, but things have gone south. Their 5 guards (Cloud, Atkins, Sykes, Toliver, & Walker-Kimbrough) look like The Gang Who Couldn't Shoot Straight, as they are a combined 31.2 FG%. Asking a couple people that are fans/live locally @Bigboote and @TerpWomenFan, can this team right the ship and rejoin the CT/NY tier or will they be relegated to the middle-of-the-pack? I know that they're 5-4, but they've beaten Seattle twice by single digits with 2 other nailbiters, lost to MN and IN (by 21) -- not performing up to many's expectations so far.

Last edited:

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Anyone who thought Boston wouldn't be great in the W is most likely jaded by a dislike for South Carolina. I've thought for some time that she's a can't-miss in the pros. She's got good size, good moves, good hands, good shot, and a good motor.
She's a top pro now and getting better. I was there when she made a late, clutch 3 against the Sun. You can build a team around her.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom