WNBA 2023 Season, Part 2 | Page 43 | The Boneyard

WNBA 2023 Season, Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
That injury looked bad. Even a best case scenario, a bad ankle sprain, will leave her limited. I might sit her her game 4 knowing worst case is you have a final game 5 and she'll be as healthy as can be then. If she plays on a bum ankle in game 4 might just make it much worse.

Reaction Score
That injury looked bad. Even a best case scenario, a bad ankle sprain, will leave her limited. I might sit her her game 4 knowing worst case is you have a final game 5 and she'll be as healthy as can be then. If she plays on a bum ankle in game 4 might just make it much worse.
She definitely didn’t sprain her ankle, there was no rolling when it occurred. Not sure what it was an confident it wasn’t that.

Reaction Score
Looked like an Achilles, you could see her saying something like “it popped” which is classic Achilles if true. Prayers to Gray, that’s an athlete’s worst nightmare and has already happened to two other stars on the court tonight.

It’s a tough road for Aces either way at this point. It doesn’t look like Gray will be 100% even if she somehow can play, which I’m doubtful of. Both Young and Plum are actually very serviceable backups at this point but the Aces were essentially playing 4-on-5 since Parker went down, I’m not sure they can do it 3-on-5 and that’s without considering that Gray was already their #1 facilitator.

Reaction Score
Looked like an Achilles, you could see her saying something like “it popped” which is classic Achilles if true. Prayers to Gray, that’s an athlete’s worst nightmare and has already happened to two other stars on the court tonight.

It’s a tough road for Aces either way at this point. It doesn’t look like Gray will be 100% even if she somehow can play, which I’m doubtful of. Both Young and Plum are actually very serviceable backups at this point but the Aces were essentially playing 4-on-5 since Parker went down, I’m not sure they can do it 3-on-5 and that’s without considering that Gray was already their #1 facilitator.
I agree that it seems like an Achilles. Especially her saying it popped and it was like a non-contact injury. Hoping it's not that though.

If Gray is out I think NY will take the series.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
She didn't leave the game immediately after it happened. I wouldn't think you'd be able to get up and down the floor at all if you damaged your Achilles.

Reaction Score

Yea losing Gray is a nightmare scenario for them. Losing any of their top 6 players would be bad but losing one of their core 4 is a nightmare and Gray specifically is worst case scenario. I could see Vegas rallying together around the injury for game 4 though and pulling one out.

The match ups will be interesting.

Reaction Score
She didn't leave the game immediately after it happened. I wouldn't think you'd be able to get up and down the floor at all if you damaged your Achilles.
That’s what I thought but it’s possible it was just adrenaline of a partial tear at first that kept tearing as she moves. Kobe did something similar when he tore his. She couldn’t put any pressure on it once she settled down and adrenaline presumably wore off.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Per the announcers, Gray said her foot "popped." I hope it's not a serious injury, but it did look like it.

New York changed the defensive match-ups and played with a sense of urgency. The great shooting team from Vegas was held to 33%. Young, Wilson, and Gray all shot between 22% and 33%.

Reaction Score
Per the announcers, Gray said her foot "popped." I hope it's not a serious injury, but it did look like it.

New York changed the defensive match-ups and played with a sense of urgency. The great shooting team from Vegas was held to 33%. Young, Wilson, and Gray all shot between 22% and 33%.
Moving Stewie onto Gray was a stroke of brilliance. If Gray is out my guess is they try Stewie on Young and put Laney on Plum, and let Stokes and Clark beat them offensively.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
I would say today the Liberty brought their A game defensively but only their B game offensively (minus JJ, who was phenomenal). That was enough though because the Aces brought their B game defensively and their C game offensively (minus Plum).

Minus that one quarter against the Sun, the Liberty still haven't really been at their best offensively this playoffs. They'll need at least a couple quarters more of it to come back in this series.

Reaction Score
Yeah, I think its an Achilles, but it could also be a foot "sprain", or significant ligament damage in the foot area. Either case, she probably can't play since it requires surgery asap.

Even in that event, I still say about 50-50 odds on winning the series. Aces just need 1 game out of 2, and 1 will be at home. They can certainly win a game without Gray, especially with their firepower.

Reaction Score
Injury could be an Achilles or something in her plantar fascia. Can’t see the Aces winning the title without Gray.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Kobe still tried to play in the game after his achilles injury.
Thankfully I've never injured my Achilles, so I don't know what it feels like or how much it effects mobility.

Reaction Score
Like the rest of the Yard, Chelsea's injury did not look good. Then throw in that at some point, Chelsea said she felt/heard something pop. Yikes! The Aces, who I am rooting for btw, should be okay. They still got a solid three out there and some decent players on the bench ready to step up. For the folks that say, Coach Hammon can't coach, or it is easy for her to coach when you got 3-4 all-stars on the court, pay attention to Game 4, Coach Hammon about to bring all the tricks out the bag. Aces wrap things up in New York.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
The last two Achilles I witnessed in games I played in, the folks who suffered them only got up when helped by EMT personnel to go to the ambulance. However, I didn't see her roll her ankle, but she said "something popped.." Ugh. Good luck, Chelsea.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
Meanwhile, the league announced First and Second ALL WNBA Teams yesterday:

First team:
Wilson (unanimous)
Stewart (unanimous)
Thomas (unanimous)
Collier
Sabally

Second team:
Nneka
Young
C. Gray
J. Loyd
S. Ionescu

Interesting that first team is basically all forwards and second team, beyond Nneka, is all guards. You can certainly nitpick with second team (Arike and Bonner definitely have a case to be there), but overall this feels about right.

Vote totals: Kia WNBA MVP Breanna Stewart, Kia WNBA Defensive Player of the Year A’ja Wilson and Record-Setting Alyssa Thomas Headline 2023 All-WNBA First Team - WNBA

Reaction Score
Like the rest of the Yard, Chelsea's injury did not look good. Then throw in that at some point, Chelsea said she felt/heard something pop. Yikes! The Aces, who I am rooting for btw, should be okay. They still got a solid three out there and some decent players on the bench ready to step up. For the folks that say, Coach Hammon can't coach, or it is easy for her to coach when you got 3-4 all-stars on the court, pay attention to Game 4, Coach Hammon about to bring all the tricks out the bag. Aces wrap things up in New York.
I think its likely they take game 4 without Chelsea with superior coaching. IF they don't win game 4 thought I think they'll be in trouble for game 5, even though it's at home. I think game 4 will determine the series.

The biggest thing I'd be worried about if I were the Aces is the psychological boost Gray's injury might have given the Liberty. Liberty have looked out of sorts mentally all playoffs, with only 1-2 players looking "there" each game and they Aces had already beaten them mentally in Vegas. After Chelsea left the game it was like a lightbulb went on for them, shots that hadn't been falling for weeks started going in, Sloot actually made a lay-up... in general it looked like they got a shot of adrenaline in their arms. Not sure if it will carry over to game for game 4 but something shifted halfway through that fourth quarter for them.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score

First team:
Wilson (unanimous)
Stewart (unanimous)
Thomas (unanimous)
Collier
Sabally

Second team:
Nneka
Young
C. Gray
J. Loyd
S. Ionescu

Interesting that first team is basically all forwards and second team, beyond Nneka, is all guards. You can certainly nitpick with second team (Arike and Bonner definitely have a case to be there), but overall this feels about right.

Vote totals: Kia WNBA MVP Breanna Stewart, Kia WNBA Defensive Player of the Year A’ja Wilson and Record-Setting Alyssa Thomas Headline 2023 All-WNBA First Team - WNBA
I would be interested in seeing the vote totals for Bonner, Ogunbowale and Kelsey Plum to see how close they were to Ionescu.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
And if I did the math right, there were 7 first team votes that went to players not on the first or second teams; and 84 second team votes for players who weren't on first or second team.

Interestingly, there were 4 voters who didn't put Collier on their first or second teams; and 10 who did the same for Sabally.

Reaction Score

First team:
Wilson (unanimous)
Stewart (unanimous)
Thomas (unanimous)
Collier
Sabally

Second team:
Nneka
Young
C. Gray
J. Loyd
S. Ionescu

Bonner, Arike and Plum all have a case, particularly over Ionescu but otherwise they are correct if even unbalanced lol.

Reaction Score
I agree that Ionescu is the only questionable person on that list. I feel like there are other players on her own team, like JJ, that are more deserving of the recognition. I would probably switch Arike out with Ionescu.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I think Aces could pull it off still. Clark is a serviceable backup and Plum/Young are both capable playmakers, though there’s no replacing Gray who is probably the best PG in the world right now. The bigger question is depth IMO in case someone gets into foul trouble. Because even with Clark they’re basically playing 4 on 5, and the quality of players drops significantly once you bring in the likes of Bell, Coates or George. Wilson/Plum are 2 of the grittier players in the league with Young being a silent assassin and I think they can get the job done, but am guessing it’ll go 5.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I agree that Ionescu is the only questionable person on that list. I feel like there are other players on her own team, like JJ, that are more deserving of the recognition. I would probably switch Arike out with Ionescu.
JJ was very off and on all year but has been the clear cut best Liberty player in the playoffs. No question she’s the Finals MVP for NY right now.

I’d also have picked Arike over Ionescu, but Sabrina did have a great regular season. 17 points, 5.5 rebounds and assists is a great statline and she was a huge part of the Liberty’s success. Ionescu has underperformed greatly in the playoffs though.

Reaction Score
JJ didn't do much during the regular season. I think it would be insane to have only Stewie awarded all-WNBA team honors on a team that won over 30 games during the regular season and Sab was clearly their second best player during the regular season. Aces had 3 players on the list for goodness sakes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom