WNBA 2023 Season, Part 2 | Page 44 | The Boneyard

WNBA 2023 Season, Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
I think Aces could pull it off still. Clark is a serviceable backup and Plum/Young are both capable playmakers, though there’s no replacing Gray who is probably the best PG in the world right now. The bigger question is depth IMO in case someone gets into foul trouble. Because even with Clark they’re basically playing 4 on 5, and the quality of players drops significantly once you bring in the likes of Bell, Coates or George. Wilson/Plum are 2 of the grittier players in the league with Young being a silent assassin and I think they can get the job done, but am guessing it’ll go 5.
If Gray doesn't go, I wonder what NY does on defense with matchups.

They had a lot more success putting Stewart on Gray and Laney on Young in Game 3; Does Laney stay on Young, or does she move to Plum and Stewart takes Young? You'd think you'd want your best defensive players (JJ, Stewart, Laney) on the Aces' best offensive players (Wilson, Young, Plum); but I wouldn't want Stewart too far from the basket.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
JJ was very off and on all year but has been the clear cut best Liberty player in the playoffs. No question she’s the Finals MVP for NY right now.

I’d also have picked Arike over Ionescu, but Sabrina did have a great regular season. 17 points, 5.5 rebounds and assists is a great statline and she was a huge part of the Liberty’s success. Ionescu has underperformed greatly in the playoffs though.
Between Arike, Plum, Sabrina; Sabrina is last in PPG; 2nd in FG%; 1st in 3-pt FG%; 1st in rpg, 1st in apg.

She's probably the worst defender of the 3, but her selection over those 2 can be backed with stats (though it's a close call, all are deserving).

Reaction Score
I think Aces could pull it off still. Clark is a serviceable backup and Plum/Young are both capable playmakers, though there’s no replacing Gray who is probably the best PG in the world right now. The bigger question is depth IMO in case someone gets into foul trouble. Because even with Clark they’re basically playing 4 on 5, and the quality of players drops significantly once you bring in the likes of Bell, Coates or George. Wilson/Plum are 2 of the grittier players in the league with Young being a silent assassin and I think they can get the job done, but am guessing it’ll go 5.
It will be interesting. Without Gray I wonder if the Liberty will put Stewie on Young and Laney on Plum and let Clark and Stokes beat them. Stokes struggled with Sabrina on her in the first quarter yesterday so I'd be interested to see the adjustments made by each team.

Reaction Score
JJ didn't do much during the regular season. I think it would be insane to have only Stewie awarded all-WNBA team honors on a team that won over 30 games during the regular season and Sab was clearly their second best player during the regular season. Aces had 3 players on the list for goodness sakes.

The first half of the season, I'd agree. The second half she was much more consistent and the player we have come to expect out of Jones.

Reaction Score
The first half of the season, I'd agree. The second half she was much more consistent and the player we have come to expect out of Jones.
Yes but not enough to earn all-wnba team honors. Sab still out played her imo in the second half of the season. The Playoffs are another story though.

Reaction Score
After Chelsea left the game it was like a lightbulb went on for them, shots that hadn't been falling for weeks started going in, Sloot actually made a lay-up... in general it looked like they got a shot of adrenaline in their arms. Not sure if it will carry over to game for game 4 but something shifted halfway through that fourth quarter for them.

Gray left the game at 4:15 with the score 69-61 and Hammon brought in her bench at 1:31 with the score 82-67. So that 2:44 where the Liberty outscored them 13-6 was enough for the above observations?

Note: Sloot made the layup at 1:23 after subs came in.

Reaction Score
Gray left the game at 4:15 with the score 69-61 and Hammon brought in her bench at 1:31 with the score 82-67. So that 2:44 where the Liberty outscored them 13-6 was enough for the above observations?

The Liberty scoring 13 in 2:44 in minutes is indeed enough for me to draw those conclusions. Not sure they scored that many points in that little amount of time since August but not sure how to fact check that. Doesn’t matter to me when Sloot made her layup but she has missed every layup (essentially) since they played the Mystics.

It was a total shift of energy. Don’t know if it will last but to me it looked like a totally different team out there.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score

Yeah, they shot 52% overall and 43% from 3. They were hitting shots all game long (except from the charity stripe, where they were a putrid 50%). They didn't magically only start making shots after Gray left.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Looking at box scores, JJ largely no showed the end of the regular season too. She was in single digits for 7 of the last 10 games.

Reaction Score
Yeah, they shot 52% overall and 43% from 3. They were hitting shots all game long (except from the charity stripe, where they were a putrid 50%). They didn't magically only start making shots after Gray left.
No one said that, but they certainly played with different energy in those minutes 2 and half minutes. I hadn't see 5 players on the court playing in sync together since the regular season for the Liberty. Laney got a steal and an easy lay-up, Laney hit a 3, JJ hit a three, Stewie hit two free throws, Sab hit a three and then Sloot made a lay-up. They shot 100% after the injury, including shots they'd been struggling with.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Mercury to Hire Magic Assistant Coach Nate Tibbets

Will Apparently Become the Highest Paid WNBA Coach; Has No Experience in the WNBA

Not only does he not have any experience with the WNBA, he's also never been a head coach. And, for this, he's now the highest-paiid coach in the WNBA? Hmm, can't wait to see the press release and hear the press conference on this one. (Sorry for being so skeptical, but seems like an overcorrection from the last hire..)

Reaction Score

Will Apparently Become the Highest Paid WNBA Coach; Has No Experience in the WNBA

Not only does he not have any experience with the WNBA, he's also never been a head coach. And, for this, he's now the highest-paiid coach in the WNBA? Hmm, can't wait to see the press release and hear the press conference on this one. (Sorry for being so skeptical, but seems like an overcorrection from the last hire..)

Eh I understand why so many W fans were pissed by this but I think this is a net win for the W. Raising the salary standard for coaches is a good thing no matter how you slice it. Is it annoying that it’s a white man that set the standard? Yes.

I also think Matt Ishiba has proved he’s not messing around in Phoenix with both the Sun but also the Phoenix practice facility. There’s no reason to believe they don’t believe this was the best hire available.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score

Interesting to see. Becky was making $1m last year I believe so he’s likely topping that. Hopefully other coaches like Reeve use it as leverage to negotiate contracts.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Eh I understand why so many W fans were pissed by this but I think this is a net win for the W. Raising the salary standard for coaches is a good thing no matter how you slice it. Is it annoying that it’s a white man that set the standard? Yes.

I also think Matt Ishiba has proved he’s not messing around in Phoenix with both the Sun but also the Phoenix practice facility. There’s no reason to believe they don’t believe this was the best hire available.
Point taken on the "net win," but my skepticism lies not so much with the "white man" concept, but the NBA assistant coach that has never coached in the WNBA immediately getting the largest salary; and, Owner Matt Ishiba assuming this guy will be a smashing success with no growth curve needed. (Oh yeah,then the fact that he's a white guy just might draw even more attention to how things play out...;) )

Apparently, Nate Ebbetts is a first-rate NBA assistant coach. Kudos. Does that make him right for a head-coaching job in a WNBA franchise that is betwixt and between, to say the least? We'll see...and, as stated in a previous post, I can't wait to hear the press conference on this one.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I agree that Ionescu is the only questionable person on that list. I feel like there are other players on her own team, like JJ, that are more deserving of the recognition. I would probably switch Arike out with Ionescu.
Season 2 Couch GIF by The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air

Reaction Score
Yes but not enough to earn all-wnba team honors. Sab still out played her imo in the second half of the season. The Playoffs are another story though.
Jones and Ionescu positions aren't comparable to each other. Apples and oranges scenario.

Ishiba hasn't proved anything other than he has the money to invest. It's great that he does, but he's still a new owner learning the ropes.

New owners love to throw money around hoping to get results. Some have been successful, while others have failed. The proof will be in the pudding as they say in a few years.

Reaction Score

I am sure there is some rumblings among the other coaches. Probably a little about the hiring but more on the salary.

Reaction Score

(Sorry for being so skeptical, but seems like an overcorrection from the last hire..)

Given the track record over the last 8 years your skepticism is very well founded. In fact that should be the theme for Mercury mismanagement going forward ... skepticism.

Ahhhhh... Famous management. We all recall that the first step in this chain was firing of Sandy Brondello. So staggering through the past season Mercury "leadership" makes the decision to go with zero WNBA experience as head coach.

2024 was going to be a disaster or in the best of circumstances a rebuild. Certainly want to give the new head coach some experience so there will be a barrel full and lots of opportunities to learn.

Reaction Score
I definitely despise the fact that a man with no head coaching experience and absolutely zero connection to the WNBA is automatically the highest paid coach in the league history. Especially considering his career has no history of actually winning anything and the teams he's been on has been mostly subpar.

The optics of this looks bad in my opinion. It makes it appears that league values mediocre male/NBA success. It's extra bad when you consider how the previous Phoenix owner was a man who pushed out in part due to his misogynistic behavior. I hope it works out but it's a huge bummer optically.

Reaction Score
Jones and Ionescu positions aren't comparable to each other. Apples and oranges scenario.

Ishiba hasn't proved anything other than he has the money to invest. It's great that he does, but he's still a new owner learning the ropes.

New owners love to throw money around hoping to get results. Some have been successful, while others have failed. The proof will be in the pudding as they say in a few years.
I'm confused... you don't think Ishiba has shown that he is committed to making both franchises he just bought successful? The Suns offseason moves and the investment in the Mercury show that. Not saying he has shown he knows how to do it but I think its pretty clear he cares to try. To you disagree and think there are still questions about if he cares to invest properly in the Mercury?

Reaction Score
I think everyone knew that Gray was out...but Stokes too?! Yikes!
Yup. This is a huge hit to Vegas. Can George and Coates step up in Stokes' absence? Oooh boy, tomorrow night is going to be interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom