WNBA 2023 Season, Part 2 | Page 23 | The Boneyard

WNBA 2023 Season, Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Longer season
Yes, agreed. These season total records are mostly irrelevant due to the increased season length.

But 100 3s in a 40 game season is the same per game as 85 in the historical 34 game season. Surprisingly, not many players reached 85 in those seasons.

2019-0
2018- 1
2017- 1
2016- 2
2015- 0
2014-0
2013-0
2012- 0
2011-0
2010-0

So from 2010-2019, only Diana Taurasi (3x) and Sugar Rodgers (1x) hit 85 3s in a 34 game season.

So yes, total 3pa made this year is irrelevant when comparing to the past, but 6 players reaching 100 signals league growth shooting from 3. Especially more players with the ability to convert from 3 consistently at a high volume.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Alyssa Thomas also has 300 rebounds and 300 assists in a season. She has an off chance (needs 25 rebounds in the last two games) at going 400/300, not that that's much more impressive than say 395 rebounds and 300 assists.

Reaction Score
Here's a little statistical anomaly: in the entire history of the WNBA prior to this season, 2 players had made 100 or more 3's in a season. Taurasi twice and Plum once. This year 3 have already reached the mark (Ionescu, Ogunbowale and Loyd), and 2 more could easily join the group (R. Howard and K. Mitchell). Yeah they are playing more games this season, but that's still kinda crazy the number could swell from 2 players who have done it to 7, just like that.
This has less to do with the number of games played and more to do with the % of 3pt shots taken. This would of happened just to a lesser degree even if the number of games hadn't been increased.

You can see the accuracy (red) hasn't changed that much but the % taken (green) has steadily increased.

Note: The dip in the graph is when they extended the 3pt line in 2013.

1694224896859.png

Last edited:

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Chicago clinched the last playoff spot. I guess there is still a little bit of jockeying for position for seeding, but otherwise no drama in these last few games of the season.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
According to the broadcast tonight, the Aces are leading the league in attendance, followed closely by the Mercury and the Storm. Let me get this straight, the 2 worst teams in the league are #2 and #3 in attendance? Shame on the rest of the league I guess, but kudos to the fans of those 2 teams still showing up and supporting their franchise in spite of tough seasons.

Reaction Score
First triple double in Phoenix Mercury franchise history goes to...Sug Sutton?! Seriously? I never, ever, ever would've guessed that would happen.
Her 11 boards were more than the starting frontcourt of Turner, Griner and Onynewere.

The Mercury head to the Big Apple to end season and extend their 10 game lossing streak.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
Chicago clinched the last playoff spot. I guess there is still a little bit of jockeying for position for seeding, but otherwise no drama in these last few games of the season.
If I have this right, a lot of seeds are locked in with one game to go:

1. Vegas
2. NY
3. CT
4. Dallas
and 8. Chicago

5. Atlanta (19-20)-->Host Dallas on Sunday
6. Minnesota (19-20)-->Travel to Indiana on Sunday
7. Washington (18-21)-->Travel to NY on Sunday

Atlanta holds the tiebreaker over both both Minnesota and Washington. Minnesota holds the tiebreaker over Washington. What's also interesting is it's very possible that these last games are just previews for the first round of the playoffs (Atlanta/Dallas and NY/DC), which makes you ask who will actually play?

Reaction Score

1. Vegas
2. NY
3. CT
4. Dallas
and 8. Chicago

Atlanta holds the tiebreaker over both both Minnesota and Washington. Minnesota holds the tiebreaker over Washington. What's also interesting is it's very possible that these last games are just previews for the first round of the playoffs (Atlanta/Dallas and NY/DC), which makes you ask who will actually play?
1 and 2 still not locked. If the Aces lose and the Liberty win, they will swap places but also the Lynx would have to lose again too for that to happen.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Her 11 boards were more than the starting frontcourt of Turner, Griner and Onynewere.

The Mercury head to the Big Apple to end season and extend their 10 game lossing streak.
They finish their season with a rematch w/ the Aces, this time in Vegas.

Reaction Score

1. Vegas
2. NY
3. CT
4. Dallas
and 8. Chicago

I got the feeling that Minnesota is good and will hold that 6th spot.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
Liberty also extended Laney for two years--that's big for them since she could have opted to be a free agent and surely could have made more money elsewhere. But she seems to be really happy in Brooklyn, loves the org, and the team.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Last day of the regular season:

Indiana thumped Minnesota.

Washington beat NY by 2. Stewie with a clunker today.

Connecticut and Chicago are in OT. Looks like Thomas has played limited minutes (Bonner as well), didn't do much.

Dallas beat Atlanta handily.

I only mentioned Stewie and Thomas specifically because it was their last chance to impress voters for the MVP race.

Looks like pretty much everybody other than Connecticut played their starters the usual minutes today. Thought there might be more resting of players, but I guess not.

2 more games just getting underway.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Didn't play today, but Copper was extended by the Sky.

Several of the potentially biggest FAs are off the market before free agent season even starts. Looking like this off season will be nothing like last year's, with several shockwaves sent throughout the league.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Ogunbowale went off today.

Loyd is having one of those kind of games today. Already up to almost 20 points and the first quarter isn't even over yet.

Reaction Score
Last day of the regular season:

Indiana thumped Minnesota.

Washington beat NY by 2. Stewie with a clunker today.

Connecticut and Chicago are in OT. Looks like Thomas has played limited minutes (Bonner as well), didn't do much.

Dallas beat Atlanta handily.

I only mentioned Stewie and Thomas specifically because it was their last chance to impress voters for the MVP race.

Looks like pretty much everybody other than Connecticut played their starters the usual minutes today. Thought there might be more resting of players, but I guess not.

2 more games just getting underway.

Pretty sure the mvp was decided before today. And since the aces have locked I’m on the #1 seed, no reason for Wilson to play the entire game

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Pretty sure the mvp was decided before today.
Normally that would certainly be true. But this is such a seemingly close race, between 3 very deserving players.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
Stupid keeping Wilson (and others) in this game late. Just hunting for points that's all. They don't even need this game anymore, the Liberty already lost. Crazy to not put the bench in.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Their bench is so bad though, you really can't play them extended minutes. They are just awful. Who wants the embarrassment of losing to the worst team in the league, on your own home floor.

Anyway like I said, everybody other than Connecticut played their starters regular minutes today, without having much to play for.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Lately Griner is absolutely allergic to rebounding. Last 5 games 3, 2, 2, 10 and 3. I wouldn't be surprised if that put her last among their starters in that stretch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom